The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grocery store's "Seasonal" double wide aisle seems to have skipped over Thanksgiving entirely -- it's already devoted to Christmas.  And Michael's is having a sale on Christmas trees (I need to check that one out, since the unwelcome house guests threw away the trunk of my old Christmas tree).

Well, my church is holding a vigil tonight, because a lot of us were hit hard by yesterday's election results.  I was planning to go, but things took much longer with BookBub than I had planned.  The server kept timing out, and I had to call customer service, who also had trouble with the server.  I think I'll stay home and eat and read instead.  I've always used books for comfort, this is a good time for it.

I saw a documentary on cats the other day, talking mostly about the big cats -- lions and tigers and such.  They said that cats can either roar or purr, not both.  This seems to imply that purring is a modified roar.  I wonder whether it was accurate.  I'm pretty sure mother lions don't roar to reassure their kits.

Food.  Definitely time for food.

It's been a long week, and it's barely half over.

Margret

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@Tallyollyopia   When I find an impossible 'phone tree', I just keep hitting "0" or any bunch of numbers; most of the time it takes me to a customer service person..

If not, then I call and try to find someone, anyone, anywhere who can help me..  or if it has voice recognition, I just keep saying, "customer service", "service rep", "real person" --- it usually gets me someone..

Yes, I have been on hold for an hour..

One time the batteries in both my old cordless phones went out on me and I was dealing with my corded landline.. it is outrageous...

If this does not work, then I would call someone in the state house...insurance department...

Good Luck!!
Or just "Representative."  If you're lucky it understands you.  If it doesn't, it asks you to repeat yourself, and after four or five repetitions it decides that it will have to send you to a human, who can understand you.  Either way, you get what you want.

Margret

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
John said something about a cat documentary on netflix.  I'm about to check it out.  Normally, I'm not much for watching documentaries - I prefer to learn by reading - but I'm curious.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I took this cute picture of Tesla today. He likes to burrow into blankets. [emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128571[/emoji]

In other news:

I'd like to start grooming Tesla. His fur is so long it's getting a bit tough for him to manage by himself. I've heard wonders about the furminator. Does it live up to the hype? Also, any tips on how to not get bitten/scratched during grooming (aka how not to overstimulate the cat).

Also, I am having a problem with fleas (especially with Tesla since his fur is so long and dense and he's got so much white on him). I was previously treating with advantage II monthly (for 3 months) and I stopped seeing flea dirt after that and they weren't scratching so I stopped the dosees. Now Tesla somehow has fleas again. *sigh* Better break out the advantage again.

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I have the furminator but have only used on short haired cats, where I've had mixed results.  My old boy Wesley hated it while Paul loves it - either way, it does remove a lot of hair during grooming.  Check out the reviews on it for different opinions:  http://www.thecatsite.com/products/furminator-deshedding-tool-for-cats   You also might find this thread interesting because it talks specifically about the furminator and long haired cats, plus alternative grooming tools:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/319809/long-haired-cat-owners-help.  

In terms of avoiding getting scratched - the main trick I've found is to just pay attention to body language.  When the tail starts twitching and the muscles grow rigid, it's time to stop.  Look also for the eyes growing dilated - that's another sign of irritation.  Some cats let you get only a few licks in with the brush while others actually enjoy it.   Where does Tesla fall on that scale?  

No advice here on fleas -  Paul and Chula are indoors and so far we have been lucky and they've remained flea-free.

Tesla is really gorgeous, btw.  He looks terrific in purple. 

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've always used and trusted Advantage.  Even indoor cats can get fleas if the neighborhood has dogs or other animals outdoors.  

Furminators work really well for longhaired cats.  I've never used ours on shorthaired cats, because a regular slicker brush does a great job on their coats.  A flea comb is a good tool to use, too.  When you comb a flea off, have a bowl of soapy water ready and just empty it out when you're done.  It's effective, harmless, and natural.

And yes, watching the body language is the way to avoid getting bitten.  I also have what I think is called a "love glove" that I bought a long time ago (so don't remember where or how much) that I can put on if I am in doubt about this.  It's a leopard-print faux fur long glove that is heavily padded, and no claw penetrates it.  Hope these help.

Tesla is gorgeous! and yes, purple is definitely his color (royal).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have found a new (to me) tv show that I am entrances with.  Star Talk with Niel deGrasse Tyson.  It's billed as "where science and pop culture collide."  So, if you will excuse me, I'm going to go and watch some more of the back episodes.  I'm binging on this, very seriously.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aislyn's grandma just picked her up for the evening.  I didn't sleep well last night, so I'm gonna grab a nap.  I'm so tired, I can barely see straight.  She's been quite the little chatterbox today and my sleep deprived brain couldn't keep up.  Fortunately, she was content with me smiling and nodding occasionally.  Connor's right next to me, very focused on kneading one of those soft, plush blankets.  He loves plush.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh. I took some mail away from Apollo before I left for work. I got home to see that he found more mail and re-decorated my living room.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think Leroy's jealous of the attention Emma has been getting from the dental so he decided to get some attention for himself. He's got an upset tummy again
I found pieces of poop leading out of the bathroom when I got home
Then Leroy dribbled out liquid poop in the litter box
Food hasn't changed at all. I haven't started a new bag of raw or anything. I am going to put a bottle of Natural Factors into my Amazon cart right now. This one doesn't have the S. boulardii that is recommended. Would it still be ok? Other recmmended brands to use contain maltodextin which can cause gastric upset and with Abys having senstive tummies in general I don't want to risk that. Could I add a separate S. boulardii probiotic or would that be overdoing it?

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I finally, finally  reached someone with the insurance company. I was still on the phone for almost three hours, but I kept getting transferred to other people! I finally got my numbers! 

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good for you ! Think of all the salaries that are required just to bounce you around for 3 hours ! They could save a load of $$ if they would just cut out the male bovine manure [emoji]128521[/emoji] and equip the operators so they could send you the right place the FIRST time...

Last edited:

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you ! Think of all the salaries that are required just to bounce you around for 3 hours ! They could save a load of $$ if they would just cut out the male bovine manure [emoji]128521[/emoji] and equip the operators so they could send you the right place the FIRST time...
The best part is that now  I know who to call about my dental insurance too! Now all I have to do is make sure the hospital gets the numbers and info...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad you got the insurance issue worked out

Leroy's tummy seems ok so far
I hope this is not a sign that he's going to develop more issues as he gets older. Leroy's 6 now.

I added two CET dental kits to my Amazon order last night. The price of one kit has jumped up by nearly $10 since the last time I bought it
I don't need the entire kit, just the cat toothbrush. I wish CET would just sell the toothbrush separately. Actually there is a seller on Amazon that has a bag of three CET brushes but at $30 for the bag, it's not worth it
Plus the English on the product page is full of typos and grammatical errors so it may not even be a legit seller.

Big drama at work this week that may explode even further next week at the meeting the lab manager called for me, my co-worker, my supervisor, and the two guys who kind of help us out
Long story but the manger wants to increase the amount of work without adding additional full time staff and I guess some threats and bullying behavior were made to my supervisor
The manager has no experience or even a clue how to manage the facility his lab depends on.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a beautiful day today, and warm enough for me to have the windows opened.  Of course, the Queen of My Home is enjoying the "smellavision" to the max.  She hasn't had her bitty snout off of one of the window screens in the last four hours.  Keeps her busy and out of trouble, at the very least.

I have GOT to manage to squeak an extra $30 bucks out of my budget each month for the next several months.  I really need bookcases.  I can get the tall ones from Walmart for that.  I actually need a minimum of six.  I have a LOT of books!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful day today, and warm enough for me to have the windows opened.  Of course, the Queen of My Home is enjoying the "smellavision" to the max.  She hasn't had her bitty snout off of one of the window screens in the last four hours.  Keeps her busy and out of trouble, at the very least.

I have GOT to manage to squeak an extra $30 bucks out of my budget each month for the next several months.  I really need bookcases.  I can get the tall ones from Walmart for that.  I actually need a minimum of six.  I have a LOT of books!
Do you ever check Craigslist for FREE stuff?

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:woohoo:  I finally, finally reached someone with the insurance company. I was still on the phone for almost three hours, but I kept getting transferred to other people! I finally got my numbers! :woohoo:
Would love to know what idiot insurance company this is so I can avoid them like the plague.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Glad you got the insurance issue worked out

Leroy's tummy seems ok so far
I hope this is not a sign that he's going to develop more issues as he gets older. Leroy's 6 now.

I added two CET dental kits to my Amazon order last night. The price of one kit has jumped up by nearly $10 since the last time I bought it
I don't need the entire kit, just the cat toothbrush. I wish CET would just sell the toothbrush separately. Actually there is a seller on Amazon that has a bag of three CET brushes but at $30 for the bag, it's not worth it
Plus the English on the product page is full of typos and grammatical errors so it may not even be a legit seller.

Big drama at work this week that may explode even further next week at the meeting the lab manager called for me, my co-worker, my supervisor, and the two guys who kind of help us out
Long story but the manger wants to increase the amount of work without adding additional full time staff and I guess some threats and bullying behavior were made to my supervisor
The manager has no experience or even a clue how to manage the facility his lab depends on.
Maybe he'll learn--or wash out. 

I know what you mean. I tried making bookcases out of shoeboxes, and that went about as well as you'd expect. They looked great for about a month, and then they broke down.
Would love to know what idiot insurance company this is so I can avoid them like the plague.
I'm afraid to post the name of the company on a public forum. They (clearly) have more power than I do.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
manager called for me, my co-worker, my supervisor, and the two guys who kind of help us out :para3: Long story but the manger wants to increase the amount of work without adding additional full time staff and I guess some threats and bullying behavior were made to my supervisor :yelling: The manager has no experience or even a clue how to manage the facility his lab depends on.
You know it's illegal for the manner to harrass employees?

Status
Not open for further replies.