The Weight Loss Support Thread - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks to both of you for all the great tips.  I already do some of them (like making broth from carcasses - I have 2 huge bags of turkey soup in my freezer).  I think, it comes down to the fact that I really need to realize I should plan (way) in advance for the upcoming week and, beyond at times.  

BTW, the tip about putting the meats into the microwave to sit is brilliant but...I'd surely forget I put them there lol.  Actually, we have two amazingly well behaved kitties who never go on the counters (Casper being too old to jump that high, and Cocoa learned it's off limits when we first got her).  A lot of times, I do take out food in the morning before leaving for work and put it into the fridge - but, it's still frozen when I get home.  Using the "thaw" cycle in the microwave is dicey - sometimes I get it perfect and other times, it starts cooking around the edges.  However, if I remember the night BEFORE, it's always good to go.  Maybe it's just a matter of having a daily reminder ping me at like 8pm or so to say "Take food out of freezer!" 

I did weigh myself this morning, and I'm down a couple of ounces from the last time.  So, obviously I'm still doing something right but I can do A LOT better.  I've lost just under 20 pounds since i started, and other than fluctuating here and there, it does remain the same.  Just need to cut back again to make the weight come off.

Last, the cauliflower soup sounds like the YUM to me, but Tom hates it.  I've gotten him to like a lot of foods he never thought he would, but this remains one of the few he can't get past.  However, I could do the same with broccoli, which he adores.  And I do have a stick blender, just don't utilize it as much as I should!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I know it's not Monday and I know it's not even the end of the month. But I had set a goal to lose ten pounds this month. And, as of yesterday, I lost exactly ten pounds. I don't think it's a fluke because I was the same weight this morning. This is so hard.

I mentioned on the Dinner thread that Rick was bringing home a hoagie tonight for dinner. Well, we had a few words about that darn hoagie. Usually when somebody at work sells things like that, he'll bring two home and we'll have them with a salad or some soup. And that's dinner. Well, I don't want a hoagie right now (I'm actually doing fairly well eating-wise this week and I don't want to blow it). But when I told him, he got a little offended. I told to buy one for himself if he wants to and that I would make myself a tuna sandwich, which is actually fine with me. I can count the calories and know where I am with the tuna....I can't do that with a hoagie. And right now I need to count those calories. And I love tuna, so it works.

Plus, we're going out for dinner on Saturday (weather permitting) and so I don't want both a hoagie tonight and dinner on Saturday. One or the other is fine, but I don't want to do both. He says I'm being a fanatic about my diet. I tried to tell him that I know me, I know what I do, and I don't want the darn hoagie....honestly, for me, right now, it's an open invitation to binge. And I really want to be ten pounds thinner on Sunday (Feb 1)! I can deal with the Oreo cookies and all that stuff that he brings home from the grocery store (for the most part). But it's difficult to deal with arguing about food. If I don't want something, then I shouldn't have to feel guilty because I don't want it. It's very frustrating.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

BTW, the tip about putting the meats into the microwave to sit is brilliant but...I'd surely forget I put them there lol.  Actually, we have two amazingly well behaved kitties who never go on the counters (Casper being too old to jump that high, and Cocoa learned it's off limits when we first got her).  A lot of times, I do take out food in the morning before leaving for work and put it into the fridge - but, it's still frozen when I get home.  Using the "thaw" cycle in the microwave is dicey - sometimes I get it perfect and other times, it starts cooking around the edges.  However, if I remember the night BEFORE, it's always good to go.  Maybe it's just a matter of having a daily reminder ping me at like 8pm or so to say "Take food out of freezer!" 
Sivyaleah, set your alarm on your cell phone to buzz at a certain time at night. That would be your cue to get something out of the freezer to make the next night. Put the food in the microwave for an hour or so to get it to start to thaw. Put a dishtowel or something over the microwave; when you see that towel there, you should remember, "Oh! I have something in the microwave!". Get it out and put it in the fridge to finish thawing. (When I put something in the microwave, I may forget to get it back into the fridge. So I started to drape a colorful dishtowel over top the microwave--ours is on the counter. I go into the kitchen, see the dishtowel and then I remember about the food.)

Or while you're cooking tonight's dinner, take something out for tomorrow night and put it in the microwave at that time and throw the towel over; that's what I usually do. Like anything else, this will become a habit if you continue to work on it. Sometimes I forget to get something out of the freezer, too; that's when the soup or pasta sauce container comes in very handy! Soup can easily be microwaved. And you're prepared for those forgetful times because you made soup!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I know it's not Monday and I know it's not even the end of the month. But I had set a goal to lose ten pounds this month. And, as of yesterday, I lost exactly ten pounds. I don't think it's a fluke because I was the same weight this morning. This is so hard.

I mentioned on the Dinner thread that Rick was bringing home a hoagie tonight for dinner. Well, we had a few words about that darn hoagie. Usually when somebody at work sells things like that, he'll bring two home and we'll have them with a salad or some soup. And that's dinner. Well, I don't want a hoagie right now (I'm actually doing fairly well eating-wise this week and I don't want to blow it). But when I told him, he got a little offended. I told to buy one for himself if he wants to and that I would make myself a tuna sandwich, which is actually fine with me. I can count the calories and know where I am with the tuna....I can't do that with a hoagie. And right now I need to count those calories. And I love tuna, so it works.

Plus, we're going out for dinner on Saturday (weather permitting) and so I don't want both a hoagie tonight and dinner on Saturday. One or the other is fine, but I don't want to do both. He says I'm being a fanatic about my diet. I tried to tell him that I know me, I know what I do, and I don't want the darn hoagie....honestly, for me, right now, it's an open invitation to binge. And I really want to be ten pounds thinner on Sunday (Feb 1)! I can deal with the Oreo cookies and all that stuff that he brings home from the grocery store (for the most part). But it's difficult to deal with arguing about food. If I don't want something, then I shouldn't have to feel guilty because I don't want it. It's very frustrating.
Congratulations...on the loss, on recognizing what works for you (choosing dinner out once versus that plus the hoagie last night).  The fact is..if you were diabetic (or say an asthmatic...he'd never tell you oh you can skip using your inhaler dose this one time) he wouldn't say you were being a fanatic for your food choices.  You are doing what you feel is best for your health (if you were overdoing it that would be one thing but I sure don't hear you overly restricting yourself).
Hugs..just keep telling him.  Eventually he will "hear" it.  I do think men hear things differently!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today, finally, the swing up to 164.2 on Monday, then down to 163.9 on Tuesday, 162.0 on Wednesday...it's over.  159.5 this morning (and I did eat out last night - salad, grilled mahi mahi with black beans (a cup max), maybe 1/8th of an avocado, 1-2 tablespoons pico de gallo, 2 small polenta cakes, and a small amount of fresh made thin strips of tortilla atop.)...and I hope to NEVER SEE 164 AGAIN.  Or 160s for that matter but I'm def. not firmly in the 150s yet.

Yep Winchester, those 160s are hanging tough!

No matter what, my clothes( even my first off the rack omg it fits cat theme top I bought late Fall is now getting big on me) are getting even looser.  It is truly a bit hard for me to see where I need to lose 20 pounds.  I think, truly, its the loose skin now that is some of the additional weight I see on the scales, not "me".

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Sivyaleah, set your alarm on your cell phone to buzz at a certain time at night. That would be your cue to get something out of the freezer to make the next night. Put the food in the microwave for an hour or so to get it to start to thaw. Put a dishtowel or something over the microwave; when you see that towel there, you should remember, "Oh! I have something in the microwave!". Get it out and put it in the fridge to finish thawing. (When I put something in the microwave, I may forget to get it back into the fridge. So I started to drape a colorful dishtowel over top the microwave--ours is on the counter. I go into the kitchen, see the dishtowel and then I remember about the food.)

Or while you're cooking tonight's dinner, take something out for tomorrow night and put it in the microwave at that time and throw the towel over; that's what I usually do. Like anything else, this will become a habit if you continue to work on it. Sometimes I forget to get something out of the freezer, too; that's when the soup or pasta sauce container comes in very handy! Soup can easily be microwaved. And you're prepared for those forgetful times because you made soup!
I am SO going to do this!  I use the towel trick for hot pots on the stove.  Cast iron gets incredibly hot and I've burnt myself too many times.  I put the handle facing the counter, with the towel around it.  

I did remember to pull out something last night from the freezer, a couple of chicken breasts.  So tonight I'm set.

BTW, I do have a crockpot, but have been looking for a larger one.  That, will help a lot too.  The one I have makes enough for only 2-4 people depending on what I'm cooking.  Would be much better to have bigger capacity so that I can make larger batches to freeze.  The other week, I made chicken pieces with a ton of veggies thrown in, a bit of chicken broth so it remained moist, herbs, etc.  Was yummy, filling but only enough for 2 meals.  

Right now, I'm having one of my fav breakfasts, a Southwestern wrap: an egg, black beans, veggies, etc.  Lots of protein, little fat, not too many calories - I think it's around 300 which is the maximum I try to do at breakfast.  Large iced coffee w/skim on the side.  Delish!

BTW, congrats on your great loss, and to Pat as well.  

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to post that my learning to relax when I have a swing up - if I know I'm on plan - has really helped.  I had a new low this morning of 158.3 (!) putting me just 3 tenths away from 210 pounds lost.  Now...going out to eat sometime this weekend, plus it's a Super Bowl we care about, so am planning for a nice meal to have while we watch it.  I want to see nothing with a 16 in front of it ever again.  Not sure I'll make that goal, and may not make a loss by Monday's average, but I am happy with these past 2 days of the 150s :)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I just wanted to post that my learning to relax when I have a swing up - if I know I'm on plan - has really helped.  I had a new low this morning of 158.3 (!) putting me just 3 tenths away from 210 pounds lost.  Now...going out to eat sometime this weekend, plus it's a Super Bowl we care about, so am planning for a nice meal to have while we watch it.  I want to see nothing with a 16 in front of it ever again.  Not sure I'll make that goal, and may not make a loss by Monday's average, but I am happy with these past 2 days of the 150s :)
 Awesome!!!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So today was an interesting day.  My first time weighing in the 150s with clothes on (at Dr's office), and finding out I may have Raynaud's Syndrome (waiting for blood work results but I and my Dr. do think this is the explanation for what has been happening to some of my fingers this month).

I had a talk with my Dr. about what my goal weight should really be.  She thinks 146 would be sufficient, so for now, that, instead of 140, is the new goal.  I will see how I feel when I get there.

Now beginning to read more about how to maintain, because I WILL succeed at that too.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Pat, does your doctor have any idea what may have caused this? Is there anything you can do about it? Will it affect your weight goal at all? As you can see, I don't know much about it, other than your extremities get really cold, almost blue from cold. That it affects more women than men, and that it tends to affect those who live in colder areas. But that's all I know. Are you OK?

And, if I may ask, how tall are you? The reason I'm asking is because I'm 5.4-1/2 (probably more like 5.4 now). My former doctor and I used to fight like crazy because she wants me at 130 and I've always felt better at 135-140. When I'd go see her at 138, she would almost have a heart attack. "OMG, you need to lose those pounds!" and so on. I almost developed a stigma about being so overweight, even when I don't think I really was now. When I lost the weight, I got down to about 119 pounds. Felt and looked like death warmed over. Everybody else was horrified....I do not look good at 119, not since I've gotten older. 119 used to be my natural weight, but I think that as you get older, maybe you should gain a little bit. I actually looked gaunt and people came right out and asked me if I was OK. (One of our Commission members was so concerned that she went to my boss and asked him if I was ill.) My doctor, OTOH, thought it was wonderful. 

The doctor I have now feels that I'd be at my best at 135-140, so that's what I'm shooting for. I'm 60 years old now and I'll try it there and see how I feel. But first I have to get there! Again!

Last edited:

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Pat, does your doctor have any idea what may have caused this? Is there anything you can do about it? Will it affect your weight goal at all? As you can see, I don't know much about it, other than your extremities get really cold, almost blue from cold. That it affects more women than men, and that it tends to affect those who live in colder areas. But that's all I know. Are you OK?

And, if I may ask, how tall are you? The reason I'm asking is because I'm 5.4-1/2 (probably more like 5.4 now). My former doctor and I used to fight like crazy because she wants me at 130 and I've always felt better at 135-140. When I'd go see her at 138, she would almost have a heart attack. "OMG, you need to lose those pounds!" and so on. I almost developed a stigma about being so overweight, even when I don't think I really was now. When I lost the weight, I got down to about 119 pounds. Felt and looked like death warmed over. Everybody else was horrified....I do not look good at 119, not since I've gotten older. 119 used to be my natural weight, but I think that as you get older, maybe you should gain a little bit. I actually looked gaunt and people came right out and asked me if I was OK. (One of our Commission members was so concerned that she went to my boss and asked him if I was ill.) My doctor, OTOH, thought it was wonderful. 

The doctor I have now feels that I'd be at my best at 135-140, so that's what I'm shooting for. I'm 60 years old now and I'll try it there and see how I feel. But first I have to get there! Again!
No, and for now she's waiting for lab results before she'll say for sure that this is what it is. All I can do if this is Raynaud's (since I will do my best to not need medicine for it) is reduce stress (hah...), make sure to not let my fingers get too cold, and for the moment, since I'm really tired, that's all I can remember.  It is an autoimmune disorder. It will not affect my weight loss :)  I am annoyed, and concerned - the 3 incidences of numbing and blanching of fingers was awkward to deal with (was out shopping) and a bit uncomfortable.

I used to be 5' 6.5 inches, but have shrunk down to 5'4 inches.  I am just under your age - will be 60 in July.  My look perfect weight used to be 144 in my 20s and 30s when I was still 5' 6+ inches.  Now, the charts say one thing, but my doctor I think is agreeing with me, that given the weight of my loose skin, I don't have to go down to 138-140, that 146 would be good.  I will see when I get there (and can't believe that this should be soon!).  So you and I are headed to the same weight goal it would seem :)

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you get to the bottom of your health issue Pat. Life seems to throw these things at us. It's very rude at times. I am thinking of you. It's so cool we have two of you with the same goal weight. It's getting closer. I am excited.
I had a bad day last week. The following day was not good either. I had a great week and then blew it on Friday and Saturday. I know where I went wrong. I was tired, I had been eating the same foods day in and day out for weeks with a few changes here and there. The weather turned cold and I no longer felt like salad and I was unprepared to eat anything else.
last night I started cooking for the week and freezing everything in single serve portions. I've made brown rice, red lentil Dahl, red lentil- pumpkin- bacon and spinach soup and beef meatballs. I've got a big packet of chicken breasts to cook up and I intend to steam some sweet potato and cook some quinoa. its all about the preparation. What would we do without freezers??? Actually I need a bigger one :D

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Pat, I will tell you that you are closer to the goal than I am at this point (yeah, I had admitted that I had gone completely off track last year). But I'm working at it again and I'll get there; I'm not too far away from you. Good luck to you!

Tammat, right now I'm so cold there are times when I can't think straight. I get home from work and all I want to do is crawl into bed. Our basement is like a freezer (half in the ground and half out, and it's not completely insulated yet) and I hate going down there, even to use the treadmill. And I eat the same foods over and over again, not for dinner, but for lunch. It does get tiresome after a while. 

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you get to the bottom of your health issue Pat. Life seems to throw these things at us. It's very rude at times. I am thinking of you. It's so cool we have two of you with the same goal weight. It's getting closer. I am excited.
I had a bad day last week. The following day was not good either. I had a great week and then blew it on Friday and Saturday. I know where I went wrong. I was tired, I had been eating the same foods day in and day out for weeks with a few changes here and there. The weather turned cold and I no longer felt like salad and I was unprepared to eat anything else.
last night I started cooking for the week and freezing everything in single serve portions. I've made brown rice, red lentil Dahl, red lentil- pumpkin- bacon and spinach soup and beef meatballs. I've got a big packet of chicken breasts to cook up and I intend to steam some sweet potato and cook some quinoa. its all about the preparation. What would we do without freezers??? Actually I need a bigger one
I shouldn't complain, though being frustrated is certainly understandable.  I mean I've ditched pain med, cane, avoided knee surgery, ditched my bp med, and my blood thinner of the strength that I see ads all the time for call us if you've suffered x, y, z using this drug.  I have so much that has improved, and I am truly grateful.

I honestly was slow about this - it has taken me since the late 90s - starting and stopping - to finally understand what works for me and how to live eating this way.  I think you are ahead of the curve my dear - and you are doing SO well.  Cooking ahead is a great way of preparing for those tired or bored with what you've been eating times :)

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Pat, I will tell you that you are closer to the goal than I am at this point (yeah, I had admitted that I had gone completely off track last year). But I'm working at it again and I'll get there; I'm not too far away from you. Good luck to you!

Tammat, right now I'm so cold there are times when I can't think straight. I get home from work and all I want to do is crawl into bed. Our basement is like a freezer (half in the ground and half out, and it's not completely insulated yet) and I hate going down there, even to use the treadmill. And I eat the same foods over and over again, not for dinner, but for lunch. It does get tiresome after a while. 
Can you find an alternate exercise that would work upstairs?  A dvd led routine - or a wii exercise you enjoy?  Dancing, stepping in place or yoga or  (I don't even know what's out there..lol, can you tell?)  I think that kind of cold is daunting and you need a cold weather alternative :)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

Can you find an alternate exercise that would work upstairs?  A dvd led routine - or a wii exercise you enjoy?  Dancing, stepping in place or yoga or  (I don't even know what's out there..lol, can you tell?)  I think that kind of cold is daunting and you need a cold weather alternative :)
Oh yes. We have the dreaded elliptical in the bedroom, but I'm just too lazy to use it.

I do walk outside at lunch almost every day at work. When there's freezing rain, though, I don't go out. Other than that, I'm good. For some reason the cold outside at lunch doesn't bother me as much as the cold in the basement. Go figure. 

I'll get there

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam, just wanted to say that I do believe it is a natural thing to have more weight as you get older and that a small amount of overweight can be beneficial for the elderly in particular (neither you nor Pat qualifies as elderly, I'm just remembering what I read out loud!). I'll have to find the study but I'm pretty sure that it said a BMI of 25 to 28, which is technically "overweight," for older people can have protective benefits. I'm glad you and your new doctor are on the same page!

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's the low 20s celcius here at the moment with little sun and I feel cold. I would just go crazy if I had to live in the snow. I admire you so much for walking at lunch times. :clap: I just finished soup with meatballs for lunch. Such a yummy change.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Weigh in this morning. 

I have lost exactly ten pounds since Jan 5. 

To make up for eating out on Saturday, I had a bag of Orville Red's Kettle Korn and a diet Mt. Dew on Sunday. That was it. And that was hard because I was cooking for Rick to take food to the Super Bowl party he went to last night. It worked because I lost what I had gained and am exactly ten pounds down.

Status
Not open for further replies.