The waiting game is a killer!

venusblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys! I've been hovering on your site for weeks now and finally decided to make a post. My little girl is pregnant. I'm unsure how far but surely it's any day now! I first felt the babies kicking November 19th. She's lost her appetite two days ago, and for weeks has taken to laying around the house (she doesn't like to stand anymore). She hasn't shown any signs of nesting even though I have spots all over the house open for her. I keep having dreams that she's had her babies without telling me and I miss it! She's turned from being my baby to being very unsocial, but I think it's more that she just can't get comfortable. Her tummy is really hard. What do you guys think? It' worrying me that she shows all the signs of being very far yet no signs of impending labor. 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you gave a nice comfy birthing box ready for her away from noise & where she will feel safe with her babies?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

venusblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, as I said in my post I have spots all over the house for her to choose from

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many moms will not go into a nest until they are very close to delivering. You usually feel the kittens kick 2-3 weeks before delivery.

Mom needs to stay 100% inside and away from intact males until the kittens have weaned completely. Mom can get pregnant again at any time, even without going into heat. Kittens should stay with mom until they are at least 10 weeks old. Do you plan to spay her after this litter?

You will want to get some supplies now. Get small needle-less syringes, powdered kmr like PetAg, and a scale to weigh daily.

venusblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you gave a nice comfy birthing box ready for her away from noise & where she will feel safe with her babies?
Yes, but I didn't know exactly what you meant by "spots".
Oh sorry. Yes nesting boxes and blankets wherever I've seen her spend a lot of time

venusblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Many moms will not go into a nest until they are very close to delivering. You usually feel the kittens kick 2-3 weeks before delivery.

Mom needs to stay 100% inside and away from intact males until the kittens have weaned completely. Mom can get pregnant again at any time, even without going into heat. Kittens should stay with mom until they are at least 10 weeks old. Do you plan to spay her after this litter?

You will want to get some supplies now. Get small needle-less syringes, powdered kmr like PetAg, and a scale to weigh daily.
Yes I plan on getting her cut. I have one male cat who is her buddy but he's cut. She hasn't been allowed outside since I felt the first kick. I've raised kittens before and used to foster abandoned newborn kittens but it's been years and this seems to be taking a lot longer than I remember

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The fact that her belly is hard means she is nearing the end of her pregnancy. Watch for signs of impending labor, including discharge, clinginess, and ripple-like contractions in her belly.

Keep us posted! She's very pretty! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

venusblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

She gave birth to SIX beautiful babes this afternoon. One all black, two black and white, one tabby, one calico, and one ginger. All are doing fantastic!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, what a fantastic smorgasboard of kittens!

With six, there may well be a runt or two, so observe closely that all are getting enough time suckling at mom.

Also, make sure mom gets plenty of wet food, dry food, and fresh water while nursing.

More pictures when you can! [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

Last edited:

venusblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Some more photos. All are doing great. She has a voracious appetite, understandably so!

Don't worry, I'm not inexperienced with cats. It had just been about 10 years since a cat has had kittens under my care so the timing seemed off. I used to foster abandoned and feral newborns, bottle feeding them and adopting them out so I have a lot of experience with cat and kittens. Before Mommy is let out again she will be spayed as well. We're keeping at least three of the babies and it's so hard to fight against everyone trying to claim them haha

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So cute! Glad to hear you have experience. It really helps!

The kittens are precious! Tell everyone you get first pick, and that the kittens need to begin walking and showing personality more before you choose! [emoji]128522[/emoji]