The vet cut off my cat's nipples during spay?

rawvixen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

The only way you can see it is to capture the cat, shave the belly and look for the ink.
This visual ... made me laugh. Thanks for that!

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's different in other states but here they still tattoo an N or an S on cats afterwards. Boo had a dark blue N and Chickster has an S. Unless they stopped doing that in the last 2-3 years, .. but my outdoor girls have apparently been trapped and spayed, as our T&S program done by the county, I think, gave them both half moons in the exact same areas of their ears. FOr the males, though, my friend brought in a stray that ended up disappearing for 3 days and when he came back his belly was shaved and he had a tat.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snickerdoodle

FOr the males, though, my friend brought in a stray that ended up disappearing for 3 days and when he came back his belly was shaved and he had a tat.
Weird, why would they shave a male?

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

It fades pretty quickly. The only way you can see it is to capture the cat, shave the belly and look for the ink.
So, the tattoo is still there, just faded, and not visible under all that fur.

I think more places are starting to tatoo, so that way if the animal ends up in someone else's hands, it wont have to be opened up again.. better to be just sedated and shaved, to find a s/n tattoo.. then to be opened all the way up to discover that there is no uterus.

I think ear tipping is better to use for ferals.. its a better visual to know the cat has been snipped already.. rather than to sedate and shave. Not necessary for a tame pet.. but very important to indicate that a feral has been altered. TNR programs have limited resources and funding.. it would be a shame to waste those on sedating a cat to find its already been altered.