"The Vet Can't See Me Until..." - Insert Timeframe Here

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet clinic that I take my cats to do have the laser declaw on their website.  They also have behavior counseling and advertise declaw as the last option.  I know a lot of vets don't like to declaw but see it as a way to keep some cats in their home.
 Unfortunately, if it becomes obvious someone is going to declaw or else surrender an adult cat with some issues to a shelter, many vets, even humane ones who are vehemently opposed to declawing, will choose to declaw to lower the chance of the cat being euthanized.  I can understand why they do this, though I do not wholly agree with it.  I also know some vets who will declaw if the owner develops a disease that lowers their immune system after they have had the cat for at least a year and the cat frequently scratches them and won't respond to behavior modification for whatever reason.  I can also understand that though I don't necessarily agree.  A vet who declaws as a matter of course, though, I avoid like the plague.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Unfortunately, if it becomes obvious someone is going to declaw or else surrender an adult cat with some issues to a shelter, many vets, even humane ones who are vehemently opposed to declawing, will choose to declaw to lower the chance of the cat being euthanized.  I can understand why they do this, though I do not wholly agree with it.  I also know some vets who will declaw if the owner develops a disease that lowers their immune system after they have had the cat for at least a year and the cat frequently scratches them and won't respond to behavior modification for whatever reason.  I can also understand that though I don't necessarily agree.  A vet who declaws as a matter of course, though, I avoid like the plague.
I can understand all of that too, but one who proudly advertises that they specialize in declawing, I avoid like the plague.  If they could be proud of multilating a cat, they can't care that much about cats in general, and I don't want them treating my babies.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Otto I've had a lot of similar experiences, to the point where I was doing the same thing ie taking my cats for a dental yo try out a new vet- which is how Toby got his vas :(. I've learned no matter how hard you try, and even with recommendations it can be really hard to find a good vet, ie bedside manner, knowledge, caring, reasonable prices and policies that make sense for the animal (no vaccines when ill) and will go that extra mile if it is your pets vet. We spent over twenty thousand dollars for Toby's chemo but when his oncologist left the practice, that facility acted like we had never been there, I.e. the other two partners who were internists and supposedly holding down the fort. It was my worst nightmare and our beloved pet on rescue chemo, and people putting you thru he'll for a few cerenia and I do mean a few.

fyreflair

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My biggest problem is finances. A good example is actually right now with my cat Rascal and I'm literally broke right now the last bit of money was actually spent on food and litter for my babies. But this is the first problem I've had so far to be honest so I hadn't been putting money aside little by little like I should have been just in case of an emergency.

ravencorbie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I was still living with my parents, we had an older cat that had been bequeathed to us on the owner's death (my mom's best friend). She started having some problems. It was a week-day and she couldn't use her back legs at all. I helped her walk by holding up her butt for her. She was in a lot of pain. We called our vet several times, but only got an answering machine. We even said it was an emergency, but no one ever called us back. We finally called our neighbor's vet, and they came out to our house right away. We had to euthanize her, but we knew it was right when we saw how relaxed she finally got. They didn't even charge us, and they were so gentle and understanding. It turned out our vet was having her own emergency (her husband was in surgery for cancer), but we feel someone should have let us know so we could have called someone else sooner, especially since it was a week-day and during regular hours. Our cat had to suffer so much before getting assistance. As you might expect, we switched to our neighbor's vet, and have not had any problems since.