The unexpected, low energy cat toy

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A few years ago a friend of mine got me a strange toy from a museum shop, a solar powered prism glass. You stick it to your window, light hits it, and it rotates, sending little rainbows moving all through the room for as long as it gets light.

Well, recently I re-discovered it in some boxes of mine and I put it back up and BOY do my cats like it. Sometimes they just sit and watch and sometimes they chase them all over the room, trying to get their paws on that elusive light.

And I don't even have to do anything!
I love it.

Now, where anyone can find that sort of thing is beyond me, probably on the internet somewhere...

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
You can definitely buy it on the Internet! My husband bought one for me last christmas and I will be sticking it up tomorrow to see if Abby likes it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you guys like the idea.
Even if the kitties don't go for it, the rainbows flying around the room sure are pretty.

And those are exactly it in the links!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, that's a really cool idea, Sara, and thanks, Ashley for the links!!
Gotta gotta gotta get one!!

rosietoes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You know what else works really great too? Laser pointers. I love them to death. You can be laying in bed with a can of pop in one hand, and hours of amusement in the other. My cats hate it when I have the laser dot right in front of them, and then I just turn it off...they think it disappeared into the carpet, and start trying to get into the floor!

And once, I put the laser pointer on Boots' cheek, and Hutch swatted him trying to get the red dot. Boots swatted Hutch back, and a hilarious squabble ensued.
I love cats.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a great idea!!! I plan to get one for myself (I already have a regular prism, as well as cut crystals hanging around), and I'm sure that my crew will enjoy chasing the lights as well. Thank you so much for sharing!! And a big thank-you to AshCat for directing us to the source!! TCS members are sooooooooooo GREAT!!!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be really, really careful with those laser toys. If the laser is beamed directly into the cat's eyes it can cause retinal injury and/or temporary blindness. Shining it on a cat's cheek is too close for comfort, in my opinion. One little twitch of the cat's head in the wrong direction and ...

The ones I've seen have a warning on the label.

rosietoes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Just be really, really careful with those laser toys. If the laser is beamed directly into the cat's eyes it can cause retinal injury and/or temporary blindness. Shining it on a cat's cheek is too close for comfort, in my opinion. One little twitch of the cat's head in the wrong direction and ...

The ones I've seen have a warning on the label.
Don't worry, I'm careful. And my cat has a large cheek, it would take a pretty good sized twitch to get it in his eye...it's not like I randomly shine it at him while watching tv or something.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good. I don't think the danger is well-known, and the warning on the label is usually too small to read.

It just goes to show that not everything sold in pet stores for pets is effective, let alone safe.

rosietoes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

It just goes to show that not everything sold in pet stores for pets is effective, let alone safe.
I don't think they sell those at the pet store...I got mine at the dollar store. But when you think about it, any toy can be dangerous in the wrong hands.