The Ultimate List of Stressors in Cats

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Stress overload can cause a lot of behavior, and health, problems in cats. When we try to understand what triggers certain behavioral issues, we should always try and see if there were any events in the previous few days, weeks or even months that could have stressed out the cat. With that in mind, we're going to focus on stress and anxiety in cats this month. 

Here's a link to an article I wrote and published today, outlining what stress is and listing every possible cause of stress in cats. Well, ok, I probably didn't get everything 
, so I'd love to get some feedback from you. Please take a minute to read the article and post here if you can think of more situations/events that stress out cats -

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/potential-stressors-in-cats-the-ultimate-checklist

You can also post in the comments section of the article. I'll give it a few days and then edit the list to add more items.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, you could just make a very short article and say that anything and everything could stress your cat. . .:tongue2: :lol3:.

Good article!

Last edited:

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love the article, especially since Aya is my easilly stressed out, neurotic kitty.... Well, we love her to pieces anyways.

Did you mention separation anxiety? Some cats just do not like to be left alone for extended periods.

tallyamy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"Scary Cat Toys" -  Pickles loves the wand toys!  There was a pack of two "add-on" toys for the wand on discount, so I got them for her.  She loves the pig with the yellow feathers, and will attack that thing like there is no tomorrow.   But, the second one.... the Green-Panda-O-Death..... for some reason she is super freaked out over it!  So, it has gone away ;)

envy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A visit to the vet is obviously stressful for a kitty, but I find my cat who DOESN'T go to the vet is always more stressed out when the one who does comes home.

three cat night

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The last time we went out of town I had a cat-sitter take care of my 3 cats. Lots of things have stressed them out over the years but the cat- sitter reported how freaked they were when she arrived(twice daily) and for the first few days she did not see them at all , and while using some tricks like opening a food can , shaking the treat bag etc. they just hid no matter how long she waited. I didn't realize how stressed out they can get in this situation, as they did not behave this way when she was over to visit prior to our leaving. I keep the tv on upstairs and the stereo on classical music downstairs and add an extra litter box close to their hiding place when I have to travel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
The list does have someone moving away, so I think that covers separation anxiety? I think having a cat sitter over is a separate issue though, so will be added!

It's absolutely true that different cats react differently to stress. They also have different sensitivity/tolerance levels to specific stressors. Just like humans, really. Still, these things add up, and I do believe even the most laid back cat can crack under too much stress. Sometimes we forget that and can build up the stress levels with introducing too many changes at once. 

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Oh, and I'm working on two other articles, one of which will deal with preventing and "treating" stress overload in cats.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you mention vacuum cleaners?  ZOMG!  That's the big one in our house.

Also found out the other day they aren't pleased with the landscaper coming by.  Oversized lawnmowers and hedge trimmers apparently a no-no too 

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Did you mention vacuum cleaners?  ZOMG!  That's the big one in our house.

Also found out the other day they aren't pleased with the landscaper coming by.  Oversized lawnmowers and hedge trimmers apparently a no-no too 
It can definitely be a stressor, but I was thinking it would be covered under "loud noises"? 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorrow / depression, either by a real death, or your departure for shorter or longer time.

So for example, our stud was visibly down after his ladies left. He was always friendly with them. It become better when we learned to let him see they were fetched and did left the house.

If my wife is on journey, our boys are visibly a little down. Even if Im still with them, and we cuddle etc...

Sometimes they do meaw and search a little extra, sometimes they are just a little down.

The wife tells they are also a little down when I am on journey.    :)

I mean, it is not what they call for separation anxiety, they arent really anxious.

Sorrow / depression is quite common with cats, if someone near them is gone. Another cat or human.

Or of course, kitten to a mom cat.

My oldest resident is sometimes afraid of the laser prick, which is supposed to be merrying them provoking wild chases.

In this case it is really wise - he recognizes it is not a common bug, it is something "supranatural" which he cant fight successfully.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I have a friend whose cat is allowed outside during the day (enclosed garden).  They laid mulch over all the non-lawn areas a couple of weeks ago and the cat simply will not go out.  The times when he used to go out he hides under the bed instead.  I know it's covered under 'changing decor' and isn't relative to your list, Anne, but it's a response I just wouldn't have thought of!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Yes, separation and change of decor are covered, and yes, both can be quite stressful to cats!