The UK / US language Barrier

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've been working with Brits, Canadians, and Aussies for so long that I don't pay too much attention to our language differences any more. I had one colleague from Liverpool who used to get upset when I asked, "What's up?" when he called me. I meant, "What's happening?", and he understood, "What's wrong?" One British expression I had trouble with years ago was "boffin" (expert), which is what I'd call a "nerd". There's also "dole" (welfare). Not to mention the different interpretations of "tea".

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is it french? One term of endearment is "my little flea" Another is "my little cabbage"

Even though I generally use "US" English (I mix things up too... like a pullover vs. a sweater) my favorite is how I spell behaviour..... vs behavior (which is how it's supposed to be spelled here). lol

dulcie riley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I spent some time in the UK and Ireland and don't forget fags which are smoked in England and even NZ but well, is a derisive word for soemthing else here. And take aways instead of take outs and subways which are porches here (Remeber the Petula Clark song "Don't Sleep in the Subway" - she was not singing about the tube, lol

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend from south hampton UK, and she is just adorable! She likes to call everyone "cheeky", and she always refers to underwear as pantaloons, or bloomers... Now mind you she is only 28..... I thought bloomers and pantaloons went out in the victorian age!!!!! Bless her heart!!!

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by evnshawn

You know what? Now that I think about it, I am pretty sure that people started calling them flip-flops to differentiate them from the relatively newly popular undergarment made of, basically, string. I think those types of panties used to be called G-strings.
I've been calling those flip-flops since I got my first pair in 1983!

sweetiecat3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by huggles

I dont believe this original post was saying you NEVER say/ call these things this - rather WE never do (most of everything you are saying goes for us here as well)
I know...I know...I'm just a perfectionist though, I really can't help it! I know it annoys people sometimes. I really try not to correct people all the time, it's just a habit I guess. When I see something that isn't, like, just right I have an urge to fix it, and if I don't & nobody else does sometimes it really bothers me. I'm just weird like that.

So anyways, yeah sometimes I catch posts on TCS that just kinda make me go "Huh?". It just sounds so weird to us in America, the phrases you guys say sometimes.
But I was wondering, what is there that WE say that may sound weird to the people in the UK??

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh we speak the queens english in NZ, well some of us do but no "US English" here!

They aren't flip flops or thongs they're jandals!

A g-string is a g-string, you don't hear them being called thongs here

The path on the side of the road is a foot path

Hood is also neighbourhood - 50 cent in da hood

Can of spaghetti, can of beer - tin of paint

We use root in both ways.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I've been working with Brits, Canadians, and Aussies for so long that I don't pay too much attention to our language differences any more. I had one colleague from Liverpool who used to get upset when I asked, "What's up?" when he called me. I meant, "What's happening?", and he understood, "What's wrong?" One British expression I had trouble with years ago was "boffin" (expert), which is what I'd call a "nerd". There's also "dole" (welfare). Not to mention the different interpretations of "tea".
So, now I finally understand why they used to say someone is on the dole, when they were on Welfare or Relief. It's an old fashioned expression here in the US, but I've heard older people use that expression

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've never heard an American (U.S. citizen) use "dole" as a noun, but some people say "dole out", meaning to distribute or hand out. Here's a good one: One of my Canadian colleagues told our translators' class to ask me how I'd translate "scuttlebutt" into German. I came up with a German word, "Gerüchteküche", (literal translation: "rumor kitchen"), but I really have no idea how the expression "scuttlebutt" arose. Does anybody know?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I've never heard an American (U.S. citizen) use "dole" as a noun, but some people say "dole out", meaning to distribute or hand out. Here's a good one: One of my Canadian colleagues told our translators' class to ask me how I'd translate "scuttlebutt" into German. I came up with a German word, "Gerüchteküche", (literal translation: "rumor kitchen"), but I really have no idea how the expression "scuttlebutt" arose. Does anybody know?
i think it's a navy term

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This thread is so great! There are lots of experessions that make so much more sense now. Hmmm....where can I use my new words?

Hey....isn't there a saying or something in a song about 'a rootin' tootin' 'cowboy' or something like that? Does that mean what it could mean now that I've been a little more word educated???

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Hey....isn't there a saying or something in a song about 'a rootin' tootin' 'cowboy' or something like that? Does that mean what it could mean now that I've been a little more word educated???
That is a VERY good question!!!