The truth about carrageenan

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiki cat has two chicken formulas now, one with egg, one without. I broke down and bought some for Jennie, I just had to get a portion of her diet low fat.

I was reading about Wild Calling in another forum, for some reason I thought there was something about it that bothered me (being me, haha) but now I don't remember what it was. I'll have to go find that thread. Not low enough in fat for Jennie, but might be an option for Queen Eva since it isn't made in Thailand like Tiki is (foods made in Thailand always give Queen Eva diarrhea)

Another brand with stupid names though. That just drives me crazy. It's too confusing. Call it chicken for crying out loud.

(edit) found the thread. I guess there wasn't anything I found wrong with Wild Calling other than the dumb names and the lack of availability.

Wonder if their cans are BPA free. Website doesn't say. I tried e mailing but they won't accept the form without giving a phone number. I get enough junk calls as it is.

Last edited:

cheraud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you know of any food for cats that does not contain Guar Gum, or carrageenan in it?  I am using Natures Variety, however, my cat stopped eating it.  I just wondered because you seem to feel the way I do about these preservatives.

pezkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

It may be true that heavy, undegraded carrageenan is harmless to people, but you can also say that about chocolate, garlic, onions, grapes, raisins, and avocados. Pet food companies know not to add real food that is safe for us, but toxic to cats and dogs. Why would they not also refrain from using carrageenan if it is known to be dangerous for our pets?

Obviously, more studies on cats and dogs, not humans, need to be done to determine its effect on feline and canine health. If cats get cancer by eating carrageenan it does not matter whether we do or not. We don't suffer acute kidney failure by eating onions.
Unfortunately pet food companies do not always know not to add those toxic ingredients - I have seen garlic and avocado in canned cat foods.

Just found the Wild Calling in PetSuppliesPlus & bought some but we haven't tried it yet.  Another for the list would be Evangers - I have not looked at all flavors but at least some of theirs are carrageenan-free, if not guar gum-free.  Not all have taurine though so need to be part of a rotation.  (And this Grain-free Chicken looks perfect for those Jewish cats, lol!!  "Chicken is endorsed by the cRc Kosher for Passover")

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just want to say that because I've been in contact with so many of these companies over the  years, I don't believe for a minute they "don't know" what they're putting into the food and whether it's okay or not. I have appealed to at least 20 companies to stop adding spinach to their foods as it's incredibly high in oxalates, even included a personal appeal from Dr. Lisa Pierson along with mine. Didn't make a bit of difference to them whatsoever. Only one company removed it from their foods and that's Weruva. It took over a year for them to do it but they did it. The others claimed they knew better than I did even though I included a ton of research about spinach and that even cooking it doesn't remove the oxalates barely at all. Trust me, they all know very well what they're doing. 

slidersmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i've discovered that the grain free Holistic Select Feline pate i feed my 'healthy' cat, does not contain carrageenan or guar gum.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Interesting - just found this. It also refers to Dr. Tobacman: http://www.healthcentral.com/allergy/c/564984/109362/carrageenan?ic=2602
Very interesting. Thanks for posting this!! I actually have a disease/condition of inflammation called sarcoidosis, which has affected my organs, my skin, and one of my eyes repeatedly and I just found out that cancers run in BOTH sides of my family! Emphasis on my mother's side with two bowel cancer-stricken relatives in the past year and then my father's bladder cancer this year also. I should look into this!!! (Also for my precious cat).

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Me, @bonepicker? I'm not feeding just dry. We have to tailor our cat's diet around his or her preferences to some extent. Considering when I got my cat, she was just eating dry kibble and the rescue shelter even said that although they suggest all wet diets, Bonita doesn't like the wet food they tried to feed her & then gave me a bag of dry kibble, I think I'm doing well in getting her to eat some wet food & also upping her dry kibble to the best that's out there. Then, buying FortiFlora to get her to eat more wet food. My cat is very picky. I think she would starve and get really skinny if I took away the dry kibble. When I tried to mix wet with dry food. she kept going to her bowl repeatedly all night so I thought she was eating. The next morning I discovered she hadn't touched the bowl because she doesn't like her wet mixed with her dry. She starved all night instead so I've reduced her dry kibble but I'm not taking it away to watch her get emaciated, which is what would happen if I just put wet food out. It would be too expensive for me to use 2 or more packets per day of FortiFlora on wet food to just feed my cat all wet. I would do it if I thought it was necessary but I don't think it is.

Sorry to be off-topic but I felt I had to defend how I'm feeding my picky cat if that comment was for me. Also, I want Bonita to live a very happy life so if it is shortened slightly by dry kibble, but she enjoyed eating some dry kibble tremendously every day, then that's fine with me. She's very picky but food-oriented.

numystic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It would be too expensive for me to use 2 or more packets per day of FortiFlora on wet food to just feed my cat all wet. I would do it if I thought it was necessary but I don't think it is.
It's one thing to share the challenges of dealing with a finicky eater which everyone here can empathize with and another to suggest that you don't believe it really matters all that much.

As for the expense please realize that extra cost will only be temporary. You would just be using that much FortiFlora while you transition and even the MOST finicky cat can be transitioned to different food. Forums are filled with discussions about cats that would only eat ONE single type of food and the crisis this causes in the event that it becomes unavailable. (out of stock, discontinued, etc.) In the end they all manage to transition successfully. It's just a matter of taking the time to read up on how to do it safely and having the patience/resolve to follow through in a structured, VERY gradual, and disciplined way. There is no reason for your beloved pet to starve but it does take commitment on your part. 

Last edited:

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's one thing to share the challenges of dealing with a finicky eater which everyone here can empathize with and another to suggest that you don't believe it really matters all that much.

As for the expense please realize that extra cost will only be temporary. You would just be using that much FortiFlora while you transition and even the MOST finicky cat can be transitioned to different food. Forums are filled with discussions about cats that would only eat ONE single type of food and the crisis this causes in the event that it becomes unavailable. (out of stock, discontinued, etc.) In the end they all manage to transition successfully. It's just a matter of taking the time to read up on how to do it safely and having the patience/resolve to follow through in a structured, VERY gradual, and disciplined way. There is no reason for your beloved pet to starve but it does take commitment on your part.
You misinterpreted what I wrote. I said I didn't think it was necessary to get my picky cat on an all-wet diet when her dry kibble is the best AND she drinks water so is adequately hydrated as I can tell by her urine output AND she is so picky.

If carageenan is so bad and could be to some cats who are susceptible to it, then an all-wet diet is only good for that kind of cat if it is completely carageenan-free. For a cat who is susceptible to carregeenan causing cancer, even some dry kibble without carregeenan would be better than wet food with carregeenan IF the cat gets enough hydration. That's just for argument's sake.

My VERY picky cat completely refuses most wet food, quickly gets tired of her favorite wet foods and then no longer wants them, even though I rotate her food and try new wet foods. She's already tired of the Fortiflora!!! I came on here to the forum to post she's not even eating her wet food with Fortiflora on top anymore!! Just taking a couple licks and then ignoring her wet food.

I can't take this forum anymore when most people are doing their best to feed and care for their cats and some ppl don't feel it's good enough, especially trying to insist on all-wet. This thread was about carageenan, not about feeding your cat all-wet. If my cat would eat enough wet food, I would buy her all-wet. I stocked up on Comfort Zone with Feliway sprays and plug-ins because it makes my cat calmer, so she's happier. I bought Fortiflora and I buy Origen and various wet foods, including pricier ones. I obviously try to do the best for my cat and really don't need to read any "you don't believe it really matters all that much".

Last edited:

numystic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You misinterpreted what I wrote. I said I didn't think it was necessary to get my picky cat on an all-wet diet when her dry kibble is the best AND she drinks water so is adequately hydrated as I can tell by her urine output AND she is so picky.
I didn't misinterpret anything. I simply responded to your own words exactly as written:

It would be too expensive for me to use 2 or more packets per day of FortiFlora on wet food to just feed my cat all wet. I would do it if I thought it was necessary but I don't think it is.

Last edited:

zoocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bonitababy, I TOTALLY agree with you! Although most folks on this forum are hugely supportive and helpful, there are a few who are extremely judgemental and insensitive. It doesn't help anyone when all they get is criticism...especially harsh, curt criticism. I happen to think you're doing a great job with the balancing act of dealing with a picky eater.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise

Some of the remarks in this thread are getting much too personal. Please treat other members with respect and take any personal comments to PM's.

We are here to educate, guide and suggest, not to be judgmental. If you see any remarks that are getting too personal in any thread, please do not hesitate to report the post. :nod:

My last cat was fed Meow Mix wet and 9-lives dry. Since becoming a member her I have become SO much more educated. Abby eats much better than Molly ever did. I know that there are members that are :eek: over what I feed her but I have my reasons. I've been adjusting her diet a bit lately. There is no one diet that is perfect for every cat, no matter how much some people think there is. You just have to figure out what works best for your cat.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BonitaBaby BonitaBaby When using fortiflora as an incentive, it isn't necessary to use a whole packet of it on every canned serving.

Just a light dusting over the top for the scent to attract kitty to the food. Sometimes maybe a little more, if she starts slowing down half way through. :)

. I write the date on the little envelope when I opened it, so I know how long it's been opened. Usually at the end of 7 days I still have half a packet left. It lasts a long time. Just a very little goes a long way, when it's being used for incentive purposes.

There are other options too. Something like PureBites will work for many cats, and there are lots of choices. Again, you won't need a lot, just a light dusting of powder.

Last edited:

noram

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 month old kitten is suffering from IBD and has had constant diarrhea for 3 months now. We tried prescription diet and a novel protein diet of Natural Balance duck but nothing helped. After a week an a half on the Lotus pate (grain free, no carrageenan or guar gum) he is not having diarrhea. We are also doing a probiotic/digestive enzyme and slippery elm bark but started those before the Lotus food. I really think the food is the difference, I'm so glad that I read this thread! I also considered Nulo wet food but it was more expensive and smaller cans so Lotus made more sense.