The trials of breeding

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new litter. Glad everything worked out ok.

We had the exact same thing happen. Our Belle delivered three kittens last Friday. I thought it was kinda wierd because her previous two litters were 5. She completely stopped labor and we thought she was done. The next morning I was palpating her and found one more kitten moving. Rushed her to the vet and a ultrasound confirmed another kitten. They took it out via C-Section and it lived. THis was a unexpected $800. Our vet did a fantastic job. We did not spay her.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am really glad that your girl is OK, what a nightmare though! I am disgusted at the attitude of your usual vet, whenever I phone my vet with even a slight worry (like the time I shut Sonic' foot in the door :eek:
) I can almost always take a cat along to see them right away, but I and most other pet owners I am sure would be OK if our regular non urgent appointment was delayed due to an emergency - it shouldn't matter if all appointments are booked. If some peoples' vaccination appointments or dental checkups or weigh-in and diet sheet have to wait half an hour because of an emergency coming in it shouldn't matter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was very impressed - very - with the vet I brought her to. They have a new lady working there who just started last month. I will definitely continue to have her look after Sky and the babies.

moonandstarkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am glad to hear Skylark is doing well. I have to agree that its absurb your regular vet didn't take you right away.
I know its controversial here but I am going to put this out there as I am going through dealing with a spay happy vet. I agree spaying is needed sometimes but there are some vets who don't really want breeders in the world and love to spay anything they can reguardless how great of an owner and breeder you are and reguardless they are going to make a small fortune.
Hence, I would look for a vet with breeding experience, maybe not routine stuff but a second number to call to work with if you need to transfer a cat in special circumstances. I have 3 vets, one for early spay/neuter, one for routine and a vet clinic thats insanely expensive but also very up to date.

Daisy

cat-tastrophe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I completely agree with you about "alter happy vets."

Our cat Tiara was 5 weeks along in her pregnancy, and we took her to the vet to confirm this pregnancy. She had red nipples and I told the vet she had gone into heat and a tom bred her. However, we were told that she "was not pregnant" and that we should spay her. My mom left her at the vet, but we told them not to give her shots or do anything until we discussed it. We had it planned so that my dad could pick her up on his way home from work if we didn't want to spay her.

Well, we were sure she was pregnant, called the vet and told them we were picking our cat up. The vet happily informed us that she had given Tiara the shots, and that her kittens were going to be deformed if they didn't die. She than went on to say that we should go ahead with the spay. I was disgusted. We decided anyway to get Tiara and give her and her babies a chance. 4 weeks later, 3 healthy babies were born, no problems.

Tiara had another litter after that one, 5 babies! I plan on having tons of mama's and babies when I'm an adult, and tomcats. We had several toms, sweetest, trouble free cats that ever lived. Rumors about toms being monsters are lies made up by vets to get people to neuter their boys, and that spells CASH. Even this "indoor cat" movement is part of the plan. The more cats that are sricyly indoors, the more cats are altered, the less they have babies, the more cats are declawed, the more cats grow obese and the more cats develop issues. Sicks me out. I love my cats the way they are, and wouldn't alter a thing about them!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat-tastrophe

I completely agree with you about "alter happy vets."

Our cat Tiara was 5 weeks along in her pregnancy, and we took her to the vet to confirm this pregnancy. She had red nipples and I told the vet she had gone into heat and a tom bred her. However, we were told that she "was not pregnant" and that we should spay her. My mom left her at the vet, but we told them not to give her shots or do anything until we discussed it. We had it planned so that my dad could pick her up on his way home from work if we didn't want to spay her.

Well, we were sure she was pregnant, called the vet and told them we were picking our cat up. The vet happily informed us that she had given Tiara the shots, and that her kittens were going to be deformed if they didn't die. She than went on to say that we should go ahead with the spay. I was disgusted. We decided anyway to get Tiara and give her and her babies a chance. 4 weeks later, 3 healthy babies were born, no problems.

Tiara had another litter after that one, 5 babies! I plan on having tons of mama's and babies when I'm an adult, and tomcats. We had several toms, sweetest, trouble free cats that ever lived. Rumors about toms being monsters are lies made up by vets to get people to neuter their boys, and that spells CASH. Even this "indoor cat" movement is part of the plan. The more cats that are sricyly indoors, the more cats are altered, the less they have babies, the more cats are declawed, the more cats grow obese and the more cats develop issues. Sicks me out. I love my cats the way they are, and wouldn't alter a thing about them!
I have seen a number of your posts and your anti-neutering comments. I see you mention "when you are an adult" which answers some of my questions about your point of view on this subject. I can't help but wonder how in the world you can believe it's OK for cats to be left unneutered to inbreed causing deformities, female cats to be constantly pregnant and giving birth to kittens that people cannot find homes for and will need to be euthanized, the danger of pyomentia (sp?) to female cats, just to name a few.

There are folks on this site that have been working with cats for many, many, many years that do know the dangers of not neutering cats, toms fight when not neutered, they spray when not neutered, and impregnate any stray unneutered female around including their own daughters and if you've ever seen a colony of inbred cats you would see the deformities.

Before one can pass judgement they should learn something about the subject they are judging. It is the people who truly love animals that push to have them neutered so they can live a safer and happier life.

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I have seen a number of your posts and your anti-neutering comments. I see you mention "when you are an adult" which answers some of my questions about your point of view on this subject. I can't help but wonder how in the world you can believe it's OK for cats to be left unneutered to inbreed causing deformities, female cats to be constantly pregnant and giving birth to kittens that people cannot find homes for and will need to be euthanized, the danger of pyomentia (sp?) to female cats, just to name a few.

There are folks on this site that have been working with cats for many, many, many years that do know the dangers of not neutering cats, toms fight when not neutered, they spray when not neutered, and impregnate any stray unneutered female around including their own daughters and if you've ever seen a colony of inbred cats you would see the deformities.

Before one can pass judgement they should learn something about the subject they are judging. It is the people who truly love animals that push to have them neutered so they can live a safer and happier life.
AMEN TO THAT!!!

This is one of the reasons I spay and neuter my kittens before going to their homes. These days the AR are introducing mandatory spay and neutering initutives, Pet limit laws are being considered, and the right to own our animals is at risk. Many of these proposed laws are aimed at breeders, when in fact the main problem is irresponsible pet ownership. I hope the poster sees the light and does his/her cats a favor by spay and neutering them.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And one of the biggest reasons that purebred ethical breeders spay and neuter 3-4 month old kittens before placing them in homes.

In today's world it is very irresponsible to let mixed breed cats and pet quality pedigree breed all the time. That is what puppy/kitten mills do - let the animals breed to death!