The "Tiny" Weight Loss Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueandfrodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yay Tiny!! that is fantastic!!

a canned food that i found that my kitties like and it much cheaper than wellness is evo canned 95% meat food. i use the chicken and turkey formula because my guys won't eat the beef and i can't find any of the other flavours in the stores around here. actually i just remembered we did try the venison and they did eat it, mostly, but they didn't love it! i want to get the rabbit formula and see what they think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Congratulations on Tiny's weight loss!!!

May I ask what you are doing about the "exercise" part of her program?
There's not very much to it, unfortunately. If I wave a toy in her direction, she might swat it with her paw once or twice, but she's not about to actually stand up and chase after it. She will play with toys from time to time on her own, but just on her schedule and not mine. So right now, I think she gets most of her exercise rough-housing with Tre. They like to do that several times per day. Also, when I feed her, I put down Thufir's food in the bathroom first she will follow me in there and then walk back into the kitchen where I feed her. I make her get up and follow me into my office when it's weighing time as well. So it's not very much right now, but I'm hoping that after she loses a few pounds she will feel more like playing and that will help keep the pounds coming off.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, great post for sure.

Thank you so much for writting it all out.... even though I don't have a cat with a weight problem, I have learned so much with your post.

regarding:
Originally Posted by Grogs

There's not very much to it, unfortunately. If I wave a toy in her direction, she might swat it with her paw once or twice, but she's not about to actually stand up and chase after it. She will play with toys from time to time on her own, but just on her schedule and not mine. So right now, I think she gets most of her exercise rough-housing with Tre. They like to do that several times per day. Also, when I feed her, I put down Thufir's food in the bathroom first she will follow me in there and then walk back into the kitchen where I feed her. I make her get up and follow me into my office when it's weighing time as well. So it's not very much right now, but I'm hoping that after she loses a few pounds she will feel more like playing and that will help keep the pounds coming off.
Do you have any stairs in your house? If so, I would suggest trying to get Tiny to go up and down them a few times a day.... Maybe for a small healthy treat? (I know you don't want to add weight to her, but the one treat I have here is 3cal per piece....my thoughts being, Tiny would lose more than 3cal going up a flight of stairs and down).

What about taking her for walks on a harness?

How about one of those treat balls? Like this: http://www.cattoys.com/plntrba2pk.html You put the treat in, the cat plays with the ball and the treat falls out.... (you could use a couple kibbles instead of treats, or catnip)

Those are about the only exercise suggestions I have, if she won't play with toys.

But again, great job....I look forward to seeing more pics of Tiny as her weight loss journey continues

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blueandfrodo

yay Tiny!! that is fantastic!!

a canned food that i found that my kitties like and it much cheaper than wellness is evo canned 95% meat food. i use the chicken and turkey formula because my guys won't eat the beef and i can't find any of the other flavours in the stores around here. actually i just remembered we did try the venison and they did eat it, mostly, but they didn't love it! i want to get the rabbit formula and see what they think.
We talked about this one earlier on the nutrition forum. I can't get any locally, but I may try to get some online if if I can buy just a few cans along with a case of something I know the cats like. They've proven so picky that I hate to pick up more than 1-2 cans of anything until I know they will actually eat it.

Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Do you have any stairs in your house? If so, I would suggest trying to get Tiny to go up and down them a few times a day.... Maybe for a small healthy treat? (I know you don't want to add weight to her, but the one treat I have here is 3cal per piece....my thoughts being, Tiny would lose more than 3cal going up a flight of stairs and down).

What about taking her for walks on a harness?

How about one of those treat balls? Like this: http://www.cattoys.com/plntrba2pk.html You put the treat in, the cat plays with the ball and the treat falls out.... (you could use a couple kibbles instead of treats, or catnip)

Those are about the only exercise suggestions I have, if she won't play with toys.

But again, great job....I look forward to seeing more pics of Tiny as her weight loss journey continues
No stairs unfortunately and not a good neighborhood for cat walking, but I do have a nice high cat tree. This time of year with the windows open, she climbs up a few times per day to look out the windows. The windows are 54" off the floor (basement apartment), so if she wants to look out she has to climb up. I did try the ball, but she was never interested in pushing it around. Tre would use it sometimes and whenever some food would pop out, she would swoop in and steal it. Needless to say, that was not quite what I had in mind.

One thing she does like to play with is a cardboard box. I may have to go buy something so she has something new to play with. A 12-pack of beer comes in a nice cat-sized box, so I may have to suck it up and buy some beer this weekend so Tiny will have a nice box to play in.

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried just a length of string, well really a thinner rope.
I have a piece about 2 feet long and I use that to pull behind me
or throw out at her. It gets my cat a little bit of activity.
Oh good luck keep writing it is a great story.

Brenda

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, nice work! Can you look after my food intake as well?

Have you tried the toy Da Bird? I haven't found a cat yet who could resist it, and I swear it's just as fun for the humans

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Grogs

A 12-pack of beer comes in a nice cat-sized box, so I may have to suck it up and buy some beer this weekend so Tiny will have a nice box to play in.
Trust me, a 30 pack is much more fun for a cat than a 12 pack. If you have a tile floor anywhere, place it there and if they jump into it, it can slide. Mine will take running leaps into it and sled down the hallway.

You may also want to feed her on a platform so that she has to either jump or climb up to get her food. If you are not concerned about how much water she drinks, raise that up also. Think of creative ways to keep her moving around for everything in her life.

And Da Bird and laser pointers are 2 of the best toys for cats (IMO). And the more cat condos that she will climb the better.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another week is gone and another 3-1/2 ounces of Tiny have gone with it.
She reached 17 pounds 4 ounces today, which is exactly 1 pound under where she started. There are quite a few more to go, but hopefully the rest will come off easier than the first pound did.

Starting Weight: 18 pounds - 4 ounces

Current Weight: 17 pounds - 4 ounces

Weight Loss to Date: 1 pound = 5.5% of starting weight

6/22/09:17lbs-7.5oz.
6/23/09:17lbs-6oz.
6/24/09:17lbs-6oz.
6/25/09:17lbs-5.5oz.
Tiny has left a little bit of food once or twice over the last couple of days, but it’s not much, maybe 0.1 oz at the most. I really think she’s beginning to get used to this amount and her stomach is shrinking, so she’s not just wolfing down everything I put in front of her anymore. She’s lost weight a bit more slowly over the last 10 days or so as well, so I don’t think there’s any fear she’s starving or losing too quickly.

In other news, the first thing I do when I wake up in the morning is feed the cats. It can take about 5 minutes for me to warm the food, mix in water, and separate it out into portions for each cat. While I was doing that this morning, Tiny climbed up the cat tree and watched the birds instead of her normal habit which is sitting at my feet and meowing.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen her do that before, so perhaps it’s an indication that it’s getting easier to get up and down from there. After breakfast, she went back up and then right before lunch she came down and sat in my lap. That’s quite an active morning for Tiny. After lunch, she went up the cat tree at least two more times.

6/26/09:17lbs-5.5oz.
Well, Tiny didn’t finish any of her three meals today. Breakfast was Chicken Soup, the evening meal was Merrick Turducken, and the final meal was Wellness Core. At the last meal, she left about half an ounce (1/4 of what I feed her). She’s not starving, but I am a bit concerned about it. I’m going to try to feed her Wellness Chicken, which she usually seems to like this weekend and see how she does on that. Her weight isn’t dropping really fast, I know that for sure, but I’m not used to Tiny being shy at mealtime. By comparison, Thufir who weighs just slightly less than Tiny never fails to clean his plate.

6/27/09:17lbs-4.5oz.
I fed Wellness Turkey for the morning and afternoon meals and Tiny gobbled it up both times. I’m pleased with that and she appears to be doing quite well. She seems quite contented. The weight is still coming off nicely.

6/28/09:17lbs-4oz.
Well, this is a big milestone! Tiny has now officially lost her first pound! She still has quite a few more to go, but it’s really nice to know the weight loss program is working. It’s too early to see a big difference in her physique yet, so here’s a picture that shows her up on top of the window sill and the cat tree she has to climb to get there.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't updated in a while because I was out of town a bit and, more importantly, Tiny has been rather sick. She went on a hunger strike and her weight plunged by a full pound in only 2 weeks. I was in panic mode, but the good news is that the blood tests didn't show anything wrong with her, so there doesn't seem to be any major underlying illness. Until I'm sure that she's going to keep eating normally, I'm going to let Tiny free-feed and build her strength back up.

Current Weight: 16 pounds - 1.5 ounces

Weight Loss to Date: 2 pounds 2.5 ounces = 11.8% of starting weight

6/29/09:17lbs-3.5oz.
I watched Tiny grooming her stomach this afternoon. It looks like she still has a long way to go before she can clean her own bottom.

6/30/09:17lbs-3oz.
Tiny still seems to be pretty unhappy with the Chicken Soup when I feed it, so I am feeding it less and less. She seems pretty happy with the Wellness, but Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m just afraid sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll stop eating that as well. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not sure what I will do if that happens.

Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s also the end of the month, so it seems appropriate to put up a chart of how she has done for the month. Essentially the answer is, she did great.
Her rate of weight loss for the month was 0.03 pounds per day, or 3.32 ounces per week. At her current weight of ~17 -1/4 pound, thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s 1.2% of her body weight per week. That seems to be a safe and reasonable rate and she doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t seem unduly hungry. Overall for the month, she lost about 14 ounces, or just a touch under 5% of her starting body weight.

7/1/09:17lbs-2oz.
Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s the first of the month, so here are the weights of all 4 of my cats: Tiny – 17lbs-2oz; Thufir – 16lbs-2oz; Tre – 9lbs-15.5oz; Promise – 7lbs-13oz. Since this time last month, Tiny has lost 15 ounces, Thufir 11 ounces, Tre 3.5 ounces, and Promise 4 ounces.

7/2/09:17lbs-1.5oz.
7/3/09:17lbs-1.5oz.
7/4/09:17lbs-1oz.
7/5/09:17lbs-2oz.
7/6/09:17lbs-0oz.
Tiny still leaves some food from time to time. She always leaves some when itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s the Chicken Soup, but even with the Wellness she sometimes leaves as much as 1/4 of what I put out, but at other times she demolishes it and wants more after she comes out of the room where I feed her. I try to do my best to make sure she doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t go hungry and as long as her weight doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t drop too fast, Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not too worried.

7/7/09:16lbs-15.5oz.
Another big milestone! Tiny has dropped under 17 pounds for the first time in many years. Thereâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s still a lot left to lose, but sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s doing great so far.

7/8/09:17lbs-0oz.
7/9/09:16lbs-14oz.
7/10/09:16lbs-15oz.
Today was troubling. Tiny only ate about half of her food yesterday. This morning, she wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t interested in eating at all, so I took her to the vet to get checked out. The vet tested her blood and checked her urine. The white blood cell count was slightly low a couple of kidney values were at the top of the normal range, but otherwise the results were normal. The vet told me these could be signs of some very early kidney disease, but more likely theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re just the result of dehydration. She finally just gave Tiny a bag of Qub-Q fluids and sent her home with some cyproheptadine (antihistamine/appetite enhancer).

For dinner, I put down some Fancy Feast (aka kitty crack) about 45 minutes after giving her a cyproheptadine pill. She ate the half can I put down for her, so I let her out to eat some of the Wellness Chicken I had set out for Tre and Promise. She ate a good bit of that as well, so hopefully that means the fluids have helped.

7/11/09:17lbs-14.5oz.
Tiny was stood at my feet and cried for food while I was preparing breakfast this morning. I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t give her any of the appetite enhancer, but she still polished off the other half of the Fancy Feast can. I gave her Wellness for lunch and she ate ~2/3 of it, so I gave her FF again at dinner. I really canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t tell if sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s revolting against the Wellness or if she feels bad.

Unfortunately, I have to go out of town in the morning and Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll be gone for almost a week. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve given my cat sitter instructions to feed Tiny Fancy Feast at every meal. If she quits eating, sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll take her to the vet and board her. Hopefully this will be the last time I have to travel for a while.

7/17/09:16lbs-4.5oz.
Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m back, and things are NOT going well on the home front. Tiny has lost 10 ounces in 1 week, which is 3 times as much as she should be losing. My pet sitter tells me that she started a hunger strike a couple of days ago. Even worse is that Thufir seems to have done the same. Heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s also dropped 10 ounces in the week that Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been gone. He also seems to have some diarrhea. I put out some dry food when I got home. They both nibbled on it, but didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t seem to eat much. Thufir threw up at least some of his a while later.

7/18/09:
I called my vet first thing this morning and scheduled an appointment. Theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re only open until 12 on Saturdays, so I had to rush right in. On examination, the vet thought Tiny looked OK, but said Thuf is dehydrated. I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want to take any chances, so I boarded them over the weekend. Theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll give them some Sub-Q fluids and then watch them over the weekend.

7/20/09:16lbs-0.5oz.
I talked to the vet this morning and things still donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t sound good. Tiny still hasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t been eating and Thufir still seems to be dehydrated. The vet ran a few more tests, but really didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t find anything wrong, so I went ahead and picked them up. Tiny nibbled a little bit after I picked her up and set her in front of the bowl, but otherwise sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s still not really eating. I may end up having to syringe feed her if she keeps on refusing the food.

7/21/09:16lbs-0oz.
I think Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel. At breakfast, Tiny nibbled a little on the Wellness I put out. Before I left, I put up the wet food and put out some kibble. Thufir wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t touch the wet, but he ate some of the kibble. When I came home from work, I fed Wellness again and Tiny seemed to eat pretty well. She went back for 2ndâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s and 3rds, although I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think she ate too much on any of her trips. Thufir nibbled the wet a bit, but only when I picked him up by the rear so that his nose was almost in the bowl. I think Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll feed everyone some dry food before I go to bed to see if I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t get everyone at least one good meal this evening.

7/22/09:16lbs-1.5oz.
I fed Chicken Soup for breakfast this morning and everyone ate it! Everyone ate again at dinner time. Both Tiny and Thufirâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s weights jumped up today, and thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s hopefully because theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re eating and drinking normally again. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m going to let them free-feed the wet and put down kibble at night for the next few days until Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m comfortable theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re completely better.

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congratulations Tiny! You can do it!!!

About 2 years ago, Bailey weighed around 31 pounds. He's a big boy, but 31 pounds is still 31 pounds. He got sick and the pounds started melting away. I took him to Iowa State where he was diagnosed with IBD and we started him on Royal Canin canned duck. He's had some flare-ups of his IBD and eventually had to go on prednisolone, but over the last 2 years he's gone from 31 pounds down to 20 pounds. He's still got a couple of pounds to go, but we're getting there, slowly and surely. He absolutely loves dry food so I tried putting him on a combination of canned and dry RC duck, but he ended up gaining 2 pounds, so he's back on canned only.

Just don't get impatient . . . Tiny will get there too.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DebsKats

Congratulations Tiny! You can do it!!!
Hi, Thanks for the kind words. 31 pounds is a big cat. I can't even imagine. Congrats on getting Bailey's weight down! I'm sure he feels a lot better.

Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m back with another update. Tinyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s weight shot up pretty quickly after the last update because I was just concerned with getting her healthy. Even 1 meal a day of dry food seemed to be enough to start packing on the ounces. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve only started seeing weight loss again in the last 2 weeks. Tiny had a mild case of whatever it is that makes her feel like not eating, but it seemed to pass pretty quickly. Now that Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve seen it, I think I can nip it in the bud if it happens again. I also changed my feeding routine so that itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s no longer necessary to lock Tiny in the closet for every meal. This seems to be restrictive enough for her to lose weight and itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s easier on me. This bodes well for the future because it probably means that once I get Tiny down to her goal weight she will maintain it fairly easily.

Current Weight: 15 pounds - 10 ounces

Weight Loss to Date: 2 pounds 10 ounces = 14.4% of starting weight

7/23/09:16lbs-3.5oz.
For the first time since theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been back, the cats ate an entire can of food. They seem to all be eating well.

7/24/09:16lbs-5oz.
Everyone is still eating well. Tinyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s weight is up for the 3rd day in a row, so I guess itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s time to start putting her on a diet again.

7/25/09:16lbs-4.5oz.
When I locked Tiny in the closet, she only ate about half of the food I gave her. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m beginning to think she just doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t like being locked away in the closet. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m going to see if I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t somehow feed her outside with the other cats and still keep her losing weight.

7/26/09:16lbs-4oz.
7/27/09:16lbs-5.5oz.
Today I stopped feeding the kibble at night and went back to 100% wet.

7/28/09:16lbs-5oz.
7/29/09:16lbs-4.5oz.
Tiny is still eating well. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m locking Thufir in the bath for most meals and leaving the other 3 out to eat. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m feeding about 4 ounces of food mixed with 2 ounces of water at each meal. Thufir gets ~2 ounces of it and Tiny/ Tre/ Promise share the other 4 ounces. This seems to be working so far and I can at least say nobody is rapidly putting on weight.

7/30/09:16lbs-4oz.
I know she has weighed less, but that was while she was acting sick. This is a 2 pound drop for Tiny, which is a big milestone.

7/31/09:16lbs-2oz.
8/1/09:16lbs-2.5oz.
Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s the first of the month, so here are the weights for all 4 of my cats. Tiny: 16lbs-4.5 oz, Thufir: 15lbs-10oz, Tre: 9lbs-13.5oz, and Promise:7lbs-9.5oz.

8/2/09:16lbs-2oz.
8/3/09:16lbs-2oz.
8/5/09:15lbs-15oz.
Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a new low for Tiny. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s the first time she has broken the 16 pound mark.

8/6/09:15lbs-14.5oz.
8/7/09:15lbs-13.5oz.
8/8/09:15lbs-12oz.
Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m starting to get a bit concerned about Tiny again. I fed everyone dry food for dinner tonight to try to encourage her to eat.

8/10/09:15lbs-11oz.
She seemed to eat poorly this morning, though with a bit of encouragement she did eat some. She ate well at the 2nd meal. I was happy to see that she has only lost 1 ounce in two days, so her weight isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t in freefall like before.

8/11/09:15lbs-12oz.
8/12/09:15lbs-11oz.
8/13/09:15lbs-11oz.
8/14/09:15lbs-10oz.
Tiny is still eating well and her weight seems to be declining at a slow, steady rate. Hereâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s an overhead view. You can clearly see the waist she has been developing. Not much visible change from the side.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Go Tiny!! 2 lbs is a great loss in this period of time. You're doing great!

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tiny is still chugging along. She has lost over 3 pounds and sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s tipping the scales at a bit under 15 pounds now. That was my goal, when I first started this thread, for the entire year and there are still 4 months left in the year. Sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s not svelte yet, but sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s definitely dropped out of the morbidly obese range.
One big milestone is that she has lost enough weight that she can clean her own backside now. She hasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t been able to do that for about 8 years. She weighed about the same then as she does now, which means she is thinner now than she has been in a long, long time.

Current Weight: 14 pounds – 14.5 ounces

Weight Loss to Date: 3 pounds 5.5 ounces = 18.3% of starting weight

8/15/09:15lbs-8.5oz.
8/16/09:15lbs-9oz.
I saw Tiny grooming herself and I think she was cleaning her private parts. That would be wonderful news if true because she hasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t been able to do that for the past 7-8 years. Luckily, she has friends who help keep her clean or else I would have to do it for her. Unfortunately, when she noticed I was watching her, Tiny quit grooming, so Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not certain if she was cleaning herself up or not. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll be keeping an eye out in the upcoming days.

8/17/09:15lbs-7.5oz.
I was looking through my cats records today because I had forgotten how old Tre is (13) and I found some of Tinyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s old medical records. Turns out she weighed 15.3 lbs in 2001 at the age of 2 and a half. Eight years later and sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s getting close to that weight again.

8/18/09:15lbs-5.5oz.
Tiny threw up her lunch today and then spit up several times. I think she was fairly dehydrated when I weighed her, which is why the weight dropped. She ate fine at dinner though, so hopefully it wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t anything major.

8/19/09:15lbs-5.5oz.
Tiny ate well today. No sign that she is feeling bad.

8/20/09:15lbs-4.5oz.
Tiny is still losing weight rapidly. This is puzzling to me because she has eaten well for the last 2 days and I havenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t seen any sign of her throwing up. For now, Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m just going to watch and wait. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve already been to the vet with her twice this summer to the tune of $600+ and none of the tests really showed anything wrong. For now, Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m just going to try to encourage her to eat and keep a close eye on her.

On a positive note, this weight is under the 15.3 pounds she weighed in the fall of 2001. That means Tiny hasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t weighed this little in almost 8 years! I wish now that I hadnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t had such a “yeah, yeah, whatever†attitude at the time when my vet told me she was too big.

Sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s also in a weight loss race with Thufir. She only weighs one ounce more than him, and thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s only because he has lost a pretty good bit in the last couple of days too. Heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a year younger and although he has a Ragdoll sized frame, he was skinny when I got him so he has never weighed more than Tiny. His ideal weight is probably about 3-4 pounds more than Tinyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s though, so hopefully sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll pass him soon and stay under his weight from now on.

One other piece of good news is that I saw her grooming tonight and it definitely looked like she was cleaning her private areas. I bet that makes her happy.
I may just have to snap a picture of it to commemorate the occasion.

8/21/09:15lbs-4oz.
Three pounds down! Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s hard to believe she weighed 18 pounds and 4 ounces just 3 months ago. She also caught Thufir and for the first time ever, they weigh the same today.

8/22/09:15lbs-4.5oz.
Slight uptick in weight, which is actually good since Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been concerned she is losing too fast. One neat thing is that Tiny jumped up onto the desk (30†high) 3 times today while I was weighing the kitties. Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a pretty big jump for her, so Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m impressed she did it 3 times in just a couple of minutes. Usually I have to lift her up onto the desk to weigh her.

8/23/09:15lbs-2.5oz.
Quite a drop today. I have mixed feelings. On one hand, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s good that sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s losing. She seems to be feeling well. I watched her jump from the lower level of the cat tree today and it seemed pretty athletic. On the other hand, sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s almost losing weight too fast. Over the last 3 weeks, she has been losing an average of 4.8 ounces a day, or about 1.96% of her body weight each week. Over the past week, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s been 5.5 ounces, or 2.2% of her body weight. That last is outside the safe 2% range (with closer to 1% being recommended) to avoid the risk of hepatic lipidosis. I decided to put out a cup of dry food tonight because I know she loves that. Last month, she started gaining when I fed one dry meal a day, so I think I may try feeding 1 dry meal every few days as needed to slow the rate of weight loss. Slow and steady wins this race.

8/24/09:15lbs-3.5oz.
8/25/09:15lbs-3.5oz.
Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s amazing what a difference just that 1 dry meal made. All of my kitties jumped up 1-2 ounces from their weights 2 days ago after eating the dry food. I suspect water weight is a big part of that since the dry food is designed to encourage them to drink more water. I just canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t imagine 1 meal of dry having that big of an effect otherwise.

8/26/09:15lbs-3oz.
8/27/09:15lbs-1oz.
And back to the weight loss. The dry food seems to have done a good job acting as a speed brake to slow the weight loss when it seemed too rapid. Her total weight loss for the week is now only 2.6 ounces, which is well under the 2% body weight per week I want to keep her below. She also, for the first time in her entire life, weighs less than Thufir does today. Sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s now only my second heaviest cat.

8/28/09:15lbs-0.5oz.
8/29/09:15lbs-0oz.
8/30/09:14lbs-15.5oz.
Another big milestone! Tiny has now dropped under 15 pounds. My initial goal was actually to get Tiny to 15 pounds by the end of the year. Well, mission accomplished! And there are still 4 months to go for the year.

8/31/09:14lbs-14.5oz.
Today is the end of the month. Tiny is looking good and seems to be feeling good as well. I had my vet come over today for a house call to give 2 of my other cats their annual shots. She hasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t seen Tiny since she was 18+ pounds and she thought Tiny looked thinner. Hereâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a picture of the old girl:

Hereâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s what her weight loss progress looks like so far. You can see the big “shoulder†around the 1st of June when we really got it together and she started losing weight.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another month and almost another pound is gone. Tiny seems to be doing great and I think sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s enjoying being able to groom herself. She seems healthy and active (for Tiny anyway). So far, sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s lost nearly a quarter of her starting body weight. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m weighing her every day still, but I havenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t had time to write a lot of comments or take a lot of pictures.

Current Weight: 13 pounds – 15 ounces

Weight Loss to Date: 4 pounds 5 ounces = 23.6% of starting weight

9/1/09:14lbs-13.5oz.
I decided to give Tiny a little bit of dry food again for dinner. I also gave some to Tre and Promise. Thufir ate the last of the Chicken Soup wet from lunch. Heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s like a vacuum cleaner, so Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not the least concerned right now heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll lose too much right now. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s the first of the month, so here are my catsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] weights: Tiny – 14lbs-13.5oz; Thufir – 14lbs-14.5oz; Tre – 9lbs-7oz; Promise – 7lbs-7.5oz.

9/2/09:15lbs-12.5oz.
I fed dry food to Tiny again tonight.

9/3/09:14lbs-12.5oz.
9/4/09:14lbs-13.5oz.
9/5/09:14lbs-12oz.
I fed Wellness Turkey today for the first time in several days and Tiny wanted nothing to do with it. She ate a bit grudgingly, but quite a bit less than I would have liked.

9/6/09:14lbs-11.5oz.
9/7/09:14lbs-11.5oz.
9/8/09:14lbs-9oz.
I fed dry food for the last meal today.

9/9/09:14lbs-9.5oz.
9/10/09:14lbs-9oz.
9/11/09:14lbs-8.5oz.
9/12/09:14lbs-9oz.
9/13/09:14lbs-8.5oz.
9/14/09:14lbs-7oz.
9/15/09:14lbs-5.5oz.
I fed dry food again this evening.

9/16/09:14lbs-5.5oz.
9/17/09:14lbs-5oz.
9/18/09:14lbs-4.5oz.
9/19/09:14lbs-3oz.
I fed some kitty crack, aka Fancy Feast for dinner this evening. It was inhaled promptly.

9/20/09:14lbs-3oz.
I forgot to take note of it last night, but this is 4 pounds Tiny has lost now. 22% of her weight gone since we started the weight loss program. I decided to feed her a little bit of dry food tonight, too.

9/21/09:14lbs-2.5oz.
9/22/09:14lbs-4.5oz.
9/23/09:14lbs-3.5oz.
9/24/09:14lbs-2.5oz.
9/25/09:14lbs-1oz.
9/26/09:14lbs-1oz.
9/27/09:14lbs-0.5oz.
9/28/09:14lbs-0oz.
14 pounds even! Tiny seems to be doing really well right now. Sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s losing weight steadily, but not so rapidly as she was earlier. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been mixing a bit of Fancy Feast into the food from time to time when it seems like Tiny isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t eating as well as I would like. In addition to Tinyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s 4 pounds – 4 ounces, her partner in crime Thufir has lost about 3 pounds so far. He started at 17.5 and heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s down to about 14.5. His fur is cropped close right now from a recent grooming, so he looks pretty thin other than a bit of a gut. Heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s probably only about 1.5 pounds from his ideal weight now, so hopefully in a couple of months Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll be able to start him on a maintenance diet.

9/29/09:14lbs-0oz.
9/30/09:13lbs-15oz.
Yay, Tiny broke 14 pounds! Here are a couple of pictures.

Hereâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Tiny back in February, dining on a can of Tuna for her 10th birthday at 18.25 lbs:

And here she is tonight at just a hair under 14:

Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d love to say that she looks massively smaller, but I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t see a huge difference between the photos. I think a lot of it is probably loose skin hanging down. From the top, sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s looking a lot thinner because all of the loose skin is hanging away and you can see the skinny parts. Viewed from the side, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s hard to tell. Oh well. Sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s doing great and Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m proud of her.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
October has been a good month. Tinyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s weight loss has been more gradual this month, which is a good thing. For the last couple of months it seems like I have had to fight to keep her from losing too fast. Now, it seems like sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s eating whatever I put on her plate. If she keeps doing that, Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll be able to tune her weight loss to exactly the amount I want, and thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a good thing.

Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll be taking Tiny in for her annual checkup sometime around the end of next month. They probably wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t even recognize the skinny kitty that shows up. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m going to have the vet do a senior blood panel and make sure there are no hidden problems. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll also try to get a good feel for where Tinyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s ideal weight should be. The goal is to turn Tiny into a lean, mean kitty, so I need to know where to stop her diet.
I suspect itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s probably somewhere around 10 pounds, but I have to admit Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m pretty bad at judging these things.

Current Weight: 13 pounds – 6.5 ounces

Weight Loss to Date: 4 pounds 13.5 ounces = 26.5% of starting weight

10/01/09:13lbs-14.5oz.
Here are the present weights of all my cats: Tiny: 13lbs-14.5oz; Thufir: 14lbs-7oz; Tre: 9lbs-11oz; Promise: 7lbs-7.5oz. Promise isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t eating very well at the moment, so Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m going to have to watch her food and maybe lock her away with some dry food for a bit if need be. I had the vet check her this month and she told me Promise definitely doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t need to lose any weight.

10/02/09:13lbs-15oz.
10/03/09:13lbs-15oz.
10/04/09:13lbs-15.5oz.
10/05/09:13lbs-13.5oz.
10/06/09:13lbs-13oz.
10/07/09:13lbs-13.5oz.
Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m a little bit concerned about Promise. Her weight has dropped a bit over the last few days. She eats like a bird anyway and I think Tiny might be eating up more than her share of food. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m going to try rearranging the amount I put on each catâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s bowl a bit. Tiny eats pretty slow, but she stays at the bowl and eats straight through. I want to try putting a bit less on her plate at feeding time so that Promise and Tre have more of a shot at it. For tonight, I also put Promise in the closet with a bowl of dry food after everyone else had finished.

10/08/09:13lbs-14oz.
10/09/09:13lbs-12.5oz.
10/10/09:13lbs-11.5oz.
10/11/09:13lbs-11.5oz.
10/12/09:13lbs-12oz.
Tinyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s weight has held pretty steady for the last few days. Sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s lost 4.5 pounds now. She hasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t shown any signs of not eating in several weeks and she seems quite happy and healthy.

10/13/09:13lbs-9oz.
Well, I guess I spoke too soon. When I got home from work today, Tiny wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t interested in eating at all.
I decided to give everyone except Thufir some dry food before bed, but Tiny was completely disinterested in that, too. I pulled out a can of Fancy Feast and she started gobbling that down. Weird. Very weird. At least she ate the Fancy Feast.

10/14/09:13lbs-8.5oz.
Tiny ate well today, but her weight dropped again.

10/15/09:13lbs-10.5oz.
Weight is back up and she is eating well.

10/17/09:13lbs-10.5oz.
10/18/09:13lbs-10oz.
10/19/09:13lbs-9oz.
10/20/09:13lbs-9.5

10/21/09:13lbs-10oz.
Well, Tiny has been maintaining her weight very well for the last week or so. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not too worried about her plateauing. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll keep an eye on her and tweak her food a bit lower if she stays constant for too long. What I am worried about is the other cats. Both Promise and TrÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] are at an all-time low weight-wise and neither one needs to lose weight. I think Tiny has been eating more than normal and these guys are getting less as a result. I locked Tiny in the closet and fed her separately tonight. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll try that for a while and see if it helps. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m also going to feed TrÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] and Promise some dry food tonight, and maybe a couple of times a week for a while.

10/22/09:13lbs-10oz.
10/23/09:13lbs-8oz.
Thirteen and a half pounds. Weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re making good progress! In other news, my big boy Thufir broke 14 pounds today. Heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s less than a pound from his target weight now and heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s looking great. With his big thick fur coat growing out and covering whatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s left of his gut, he looks really slim and trim. Pretty soon heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll be at his perfect weight and Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll be able to put him on a maintenance diet.

10/24/09:13lbs-9oz.
10/25/09:13lbs-8oz.
Tiny seems to be handling eating in the closet well. She hasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t shown any signs of not eating for quite a while. Promise hit another all time low tonight though, even though she weighs barely half of what Tiny does and gets more food. Sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a lot more active though. I fed her and Tre dry food tonight.

10/26/09:13lbs-8.5oz.
Promiseâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s weight rebounded quite a bit. I went ahead and fed her dry food for another night though.

10/27/09:13lbs-8.5oz.
10/28/09:13lbs-7.5oz.
10/29/09:13lbs-7oz.
Tinyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s weight is still creeping down and Promiseâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s is holding steady. Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s good news and hopefully we can keep it that way.

10/30/09:13lbs-7oz.
10/31/09:13lbs-6.5oz.
Happy Halloween! This year, Tiny decided to dress up as a thin kitty.
Tiny is still eating well and with her taking meals segregated in the closet, I can really control how much she eats. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been locking her in there for over a week and she has cleaned her plate every time. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m crossing my fingers that that keeps up. My current feeding plan for my cats is as follows:

Start with ~ 4.5 ounces of food. ~ 1 ounce is Fancy Feast and the remainder is Chicken Soup. I mix in water until the mix is about 2:1 food to water ratio, for a total of around 6.8 ounces. Thufir gets 1.8 ounces, Tiny gets 1.6 ounces, and Tre and Promise split the remainder. I do that 3 times per day.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been busy this month, so I havenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t really logged anything. She is still losing weight at a rate of about ½ pounds per month which is nice and slow. Her energy levels have been high and Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve seen her shooting around the apartment chasing some of the other kitties which Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve rarely seen before. All in all, she seems to be doing great.

I took Tiny to the vet today and I had a hard time convincing the vet that she doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have hyperthyroidism or diabetes. She just isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t used to seeing cats lose weight. I had her do blood work to check, but Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not expecting the tests to reveal anything. Tiny eats well and if I increase her food intake a bit her weight starts going back up.

The vet also told me Tiny could stand to lose another pound or two, so I have a tentative goal weight of about 11 pounds for her. Not far to go at all! Sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s lost over twice that already. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll be checking regularly to see if I can feel her ribs (I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t right now) and stop if she gets there before 11 pounds.

Thufir is down to just 13lbs-6oz., which is just a hair above his goal weight of 13 pounds. I'm feeding him a bit more and his weight is just barely creeping down right now. It wonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t be long now before the weight loss is over for him and Tiny and everyone is on a maintenance diet.

Current Weight: 12 pounds – 15 ounces

Weight Loss to Date: 5 pounds 5 ounces = 29.1% of starting weight

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

YIPPY.... Good job
Thanks.
I got a call from the vet this afternoon and the blood test results looked good. The WBC was a smidge low (that was her technical description
) but she didn't think that was a cause for concern as long as Tiny is healthy and eating well.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got some new pics of Tiny showing off her much smaller physique????

Status
Not open for further replies.