The Thanksgiving Thread

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We went to a close friend's house yesterday for Thanksgiving. He's our adopted little brother and have gotten to know his family over the years. Our family is all over the country and we couldn't get away to visit with them. They had the traditional turkey dinner with all the sides. They told us they didn't want us to bring anything, but we brought some cookies for dessert.

But because DH wanted to have his own turkey leftovers, I'm making a full turkey dinner for the 2 of us today. Got the turkey in the oven about an hour ago and have all the sides ready to throw in later. While that's cooking, I'm going to get out our meager Christmas decorations and put some around the house. No tree in our house cause the cats and dogs would destroy it.

So I'm going to have turkey coming out of my ears by the end of today. I'm making a 13 pound turkey stuffed with 2 loaves of bread worth of stuffing. I have leftover broccoli and potato casseroles from yesterday and am adding a green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy here. Cookies and cranberry trifle for dessert.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

The canned stuff is full of corn syrup and high-fructose corn syrup and that is why it is so jellied. The real stuff is a sauce, it should be thickened but like most sauces, you won't be able to cut it with a knife!
I know most everything is filled with that crap as I read the labels before buying anything and my family's diet is a lot like yours, that is why I was making it fresh to share with extended family, I also bought all organic ingredients. I have never tasted the canned cranberry sauce, but others there had.

But this homemade sauce was straight like plain juice. I could have bought 100% fruit juice from a jar and poured it into a glass pan and that would have been the sauce
That is common sense from looking at the recipe, but with the stress of the holidays, who has time for common sense.
For the record, it was yummy!

But here is what I think I did wrong after doing some research. To make the sauce thicker I should have put them in small shallow round glass like containers like people cook dessert in and put some of the whole cranberry that I threw away in it to make it have a better consistency then put in the coldest part of the fridge instead of straining all the berries and putting the sauce/juice in a big shallow glass dish.