The Tale of the Disappearing Post ~ A TCS Mystery!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why not delete the option to post in colours that are impossible to read?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I have to read all the posts in IMO and Breaking Mews, but, luckily, habitual color abusers are few and far between there, perhaps because only established members have posting privileges. I've found myself clicking "Quote" in order to read posts that are so light they're illegible in the original post, and then "Go back" on my browser. If I'm in a so-so mood, I find myself getting annoyed at having to take those extra steps.

I actually think "less is more", i.e., when somebody uses a color (preferably a deep one, since I use the Default Grey skin ) to just highlight a word or sentence, it makes their post clearer. On the other hand, when an entire post is in a bright color that "grates", or too light a color, I find myself skipping that post, unless it's one that has been reported. The overuse of color thus defeats the purpose.

The colored usernames/titles aren't as much of a problem, because they're limited to paying or former paying members, and I can highlight, or go by the avatar, siggy or location most of the time when I can't actually see the name. Glows or shadows might help those using IE, but don't show up if you're using Firefox, as Meaghan pointed out.

I've found the fonts can appear different depending on the browser being used, too. Laureen's appears very small on my laptop (the latest FF), but bigger at school (older version of FF) or on my PDA (PDA version of IE).

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Why not delete the option to post in colours that are impossible to read?
I think its because all colors show up differently on certain forum skins. When you use night vision skin, some of the dark colors are hard to read, but if you use a light colored skin, some of the light colors are hard to read. I use Office Hours & can usually see them all just fine, unless of course there is a white font being used

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I think its because all colors show up differently on certain forum skins. When you use night vision skin, all the dark colors are hard to read, but if you use a light colored skin, all the light colors are hard to read. I use Office Hours & can usually see them all just fine, unless of course there is a white font being used
Or a very pale pink, turquoise or yellow. You hit the nail on the head, Kenz.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

exactly...
btw - does this font look really big to the rest of you? 'cause to me, it's just a hair bigger. i like it 'cause i find it easier to read... but if it bothers people, i can stop changing it.

for me, the only appropriate use of colored text or extra large text is for emphasis, delineation [like Sharky's use] or voices [like in Paws & Reflect].
altho even in the latter, i didn't start using colored text until i ran out of other options. i have one cat that uses the plain font, one bold, one italic & one underlined... then Miss Firefox came along, & i had to come up w/something for her!
I don't have problem with the larger font. Where it becomes harder read is with it is larger, colored, and bold. It starts looking fuzzy to me.

Example:

larger, colored, and bold.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never have a problem with reading posts or names or anything! I have used the Name me June contest ever since I joined a year ago.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use plain CatSite default, have since the beginning and it is what I am used to. And being a creature of habit anything else just confuses me.

Bright colors or big fonts don't really bother me. If it's too hard on the eyes I just move on.

My biggest pet peeve, however, slight hijack here, are the posts that look like on giant run on sentence. Don't matter what the size or color those are just too hard to read.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I really want to read it I usually just highlight it, but sometimes I just pass by the post.

What really annoys me is the big bolded fonts, I find them so hard to read. I seen one earlier that I did want to read but the more I read it just looked blurred and I gave up - although it was in the default colour.

I hate run on paragraphs/sentences too and usually just give up on those.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CheshireCat

I use plain CatSite default, have since the beginning and it is what I am used to. And being a creature of habit anything else just confuses me.
I wonder if we're the only two that do?

My biggest pet peeve, however, slight hijack here, are the posts that look like on giant run on sentence. Don't matter what the size or color those are just too hard to read.
DH calls that "wall of text". It's like your brain has slammed into a wall and just sits there going "uh...." because there's just too much.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using the Name me - June contest skin for as long as I can remember, but after posting in here earlier, I was playing around with skins some more, and I also kind of like the "dream of creams" skin. I may have to switch back and forth every now and then..

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was using Office Hours, precisely because OF office hours, LOL.

Then I started using Pinky Paws, and like that one a lot. Now I've got up Name me - June, and seeing how I like that...

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I get bugged-eyed too with run-on posts..

I'll admit that I'm one of those who sometimes uses different colored fonts.
I don't use them to "get noticed" or anything like that: I just like being able to have the option of a little variety now & again..

The different colors really doesn't bother me too much. Once in awhile I'll have a problem with it, and if I do, I just change the skin color. Most of the time I use the Blue cats skin: it's been the easiest skin color to use for me.

~KK~

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I get bugged-eyed too with run-on posts..

I'll admit that I'm one of those who sometimes uses different colored fonts.
I don't use them to "get noticed" or anything like that: I just like being able to have the option of a little variety now & again..
Exactly! That's what they're for -- variety, occasional emphasis, fun. No need to apologize for that kind of use of colour.