The story of a pregnant cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mawilouwl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello! Just a quick update. The kittens are doing great and so is the mommy. She was really skinny when I took her in and it is hard for me to make her gain weight since she is nursing, but she is still a lot better than 2 weeks ago. The kittens on their side are gaining a lot of weight. They are only 7 days old and they've already double their birth size (Eva was 122g and is now 246g, Zack was 113g and is now 230g and Tim was 128 and is now 245g, so not yet double for him, but almost). I am very pleased by this. I am not taking any pictures of them for a little while, because their eyes should start opening soon and I am keeping the room too dark to take good pictures. In a week or two I should be able to take some pictures (they will still be dark, but not as much). They don't like when I weight them, they start crying loud instantly and Goupille doesn't like it either! But she lets me handle them even though she has that worried look on her face when they start crying.
So, that's it for now!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mawilouwl

Hello! Just a quick update. The kittens are doing great and so is the mommy. She was really skinny when I took her in and it is hard for me to make her gain weight since she is nursing, but she is still a lot better than 2 weeks ago. The kittens on their side are gaining a lot of weight. They are only 7 days old and they've already double their birth size (Eva was 122g and is now 246g, Zack was 113g and is now 230g and Tim was 128 and is now 245g, so not yet double for him, but almost). I am very pleased by this. I am not taking any pictures of them for a little while, because their eyes should start opening soon and I am keeping the room too dark to take good pictures. In a week or two I should be able to take some pictures (they will still be dark, but not as much). They don't like when I weight them, they start crying loud instantly and Goupille doesn't like it either! But she lets me handle them even though she has that worried look on her face when they start crying.
So, that's it for now!
Are you feeding Mom kitten wet and/or dry food? She needs the calories to replace what her new family has and is taking out of her.

mawilouwl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Are you feeding Mom kitten wet and/or dry food? She needs the calories to replace what her new family has and is taking out of her.
Yes she is on Royal Canin kitten food (dry). Should I give her wet food? I've tried both but she seems to prefer dry food than wet food. She eats good (about 2/3 of a cup daily). Do you think it is enough? From the look of her size, she certainly did not eat 1/4 of a cup before she got pregnant, she is way to small and skinny. She is certainly eating twice the amount of food she was before prgnancy (I don't think she was fed at all), but in her case, is it enough? When I took her in, she was skin and bones (and a big pregnancy belly). She was only 1 week and a half away from giving birth, so not much time for me to make her gain weight. She is such an angel, I just want the best for her.
Bless her for going through pregnancy and now taking care of these babies. She will never have to go through this again.

mawilouwl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello!
Just to tell everyone that the kittens are doing awesome! Mommy seems a bit bored though. She comes to me so I pet her everytime I enter the room and she sometimes try to escape from the room (it's a nice double room, so plenty of space if she needs it) but I can't let her since I have 2 cats of my own. Kitten's eyes are open now (although not wide open). They all weight around 290-300g. I can't wait to be able to put them in front of the window for natural light and take good pictures of them! I have to wait until their eyes are mature enough though, so another 2 weeks. I can already tell that Eve will be the loud one and Tim will be the easy one (you know, the one you can hold in your arms and he will stay all soft and happy?!). Zack is very quiet when he "mews" and he doesn't protest as much as his sister when I weight him! All 3 are growing beautifully. They havre more hair and look rounder, wich makes them look oh so cute!

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am SO glad everyone is doing so well!

Teyah was the same way. As soon as I came in the room with her she came RIGHT to me for some lovins.

kiya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Congrats on the new baby`s, and so glad all went, and is going well.

And good luck with finding them all a good home.

mawilouwl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you!
Last few days I have been a bit worried about Tim (#3), because he did not gain enough weight during 3 days (5 grams a day instead of his usual 15g). He was his usual self, though, very vigorous, already trying to climb out of the nesting box. I bottle fed him during these days although he just did not seem hungry. Then he came back to normal and he grows fine now. They are all a bit more active and awake than before. They want to explore and boy, are they loud when they want their milk! Espcecially Eve and Tim. Eve doesn't like that much to explore. She is more easily scared than the boys. Zack is just awesome.
He has this really quiet "mew" and most of the time he is just happy. If I take him out of the box, he will quietly explore a little and come back to me. All 3 are so adorable now that their eyes are open. They always look away vaguely because they don't see much and it looks as though they are big thinker! Lol

Mommy Goupille is gaining weight slowly and it is going to be so hard to let her go when it's time because I love her very much.
She looks so young now that she is not pregnant, I wonder how old she is. Probably 1 year old top. I make sure she knows how to take care of her babies and she seems to be doing good although I think she doesn't lick them enough (the towel is not soiled often enough, so I will give her a hand with stimulating the kittens in the next days).
That's it for now! Pictures soon, in a week or so!