The sound of Galofies

mikeanderson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some of you have seen my photos thread in which I posted pictures of the strange cat-like creature I have, called a Galofie. (If you haven't, the thread is HERE.) I call mine "Sofie Galofie".

Now, a few folks naturally expressed skepticism over whether a Galofie isn't really just a cat, but many people wanted to know more about these rare animals.

I have told you about the odd, bird-like squawking noises they make. In fact, I made a recording of my Galofie to prove it! Just CLICK HERE to hear her. (It's an MP3 file.) I did NOT make that up; I assure you, that is the sound of a real, live Galofie!

And while it may not sound like it from that squawk, the interesting thing is that Galofies are actually very melodic creatures. In fact, scientists in the Galofagus Islands have heard groups of Galofies "singing" in unison at night. Apparently they even have their own kind of songs, not unlike birds.

When my wife and I found about this, we decided to see if we could train our Galofie to sing. Well it took a lot of hard work, but over time we've trained her to sing in key! It's sort of like training a parrot; the trick is to play them a tune over and over again, and after a while they just pick it up and start repeating it back naturally!

So far we've trained our Sofie Galofie to sing several songs. One of them is Johann Strauss's "Blue Danube". A musician friend I know was so impressed that he insisted Sofie should perform live with an orchestra! Well, knowing how shy and introverted Galofies are, we never thought it would work. But with much patience (and numerous trips to the orchestra hall), we finally managed to get her to perform - with one of the best orchestras in the world, for that matter!

So here's a short clip of her performing Strauss's "Blue Danube" with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Herbert von Karajan. CLICK HERE for the MP3.

Man, was ol' Herb ever surprised! I bet he never thought he'd get a chance to conduct a Galofie!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WOW! What a talented galofie!! Her tuning is perfect. And such a sensitive performance, too. It's a wonder she doesn't have orchestras beating a path to her door -- but, perhaps she does...?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikeanderson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

WOW! What a talented galofie!! Her tuning is perfect. And such a sensitive performance, too.
Yes - You can tell that she's a little nervous though. Perched on top of a stool in front of a huge orchestra, a large boom mic hanging down just in front of her, I'm sure it was all very intimidating. It was terribly courageous of her to go through with it.

I have some other recordings around here somewhere, let me see if I can get them uploaded.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Megan has her own special bird chirp. I know that dawnofsierra's kitty does, too. Maybe they could cut a demo recording?

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bravissimo!
My Emma has her own special "squeak" as well. she'd love to sing backup if given the chance!

cassandra_starr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat makes a noise similar to that.

I did a google search on galofagus and galofie and found nothing at all on either.

mikeanderson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sunnicat

My own Sophie makes this noise AND is Calico. Could they be related???
What are the chances of that! Are you sure she isn't a Galofie?

I do recall that my Sofie had a sister or two when I got her at the pound.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys are funny!
Think there`s a chance that Mike is trying to see how gullible we are with his" goofy-galofie-guile"?
You would`nt do that....now WOULD YOU, MIKE?????
Linda

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seriously though.....that "squalk" sure got Toby and Tedy wound up this morning, running all over the place looking for the galofie, with their little ears looking like sonar!
Linda

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, after listening to those, i'm thinking Cable is part Galofie - altho her squeak is not quite as musical as Sophie's squawk... probably the admixture of non-Galofie genes is the problem. Sophie has a beautiful voice!

altzarina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
your galofie rules!! The blue danube....almost left me in tears.

It seems my calico has few galofie genes. Say is there any Galofie cult around?

mikeanderson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stampit3d

Seriously though.....that "squalk" sure got Toby and Tedy wound up this morning, running all over the place looking for the galofie, with their little ears looking like sonar!
Linda
That's hilarious!

Thanks for all the kind words, everybody!