The Smart Box

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is anyone using this:
http://www.smartcatbox.com/index.asp...ATS&Category=2

I am a user of the tidy cat breeze box.
What is the differences? I see this uses Safflower seeds ( bird seed)
and the pee goes onto a tray instead of pad I think.

I use my tidy cat Breeze box with a styrofoam tray (meat tray) to collect
urine and empty twice a day, keeping pad in just as a backup.
Is that basically what this box does, it collects urine on a tray to empty. What would make it different then using the breeze box without box and pee just go on tray and you empty.
I cant see any pics. of what exactly goes on.

Has anyone used the breeze box using the safflower seeds like they do
in the smart box, will it work instead of pellets or are the holes
in bottom of box different?

Brenda

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Breeze and the Smart Box and the Feline Pine litter box (which I used for years) are all variations of the same thing. It is as you said, some kind of "litter" is in the top and urine falls through to the bottom. Safflower seeds work in the Feline Pine box which uses pellets about the same size as what is used with the Breeze. I haven't seen the Breeze box though so I don't know how big the holes are. You can get safflower seeds anyplace bird seed is sold and give them a try. It's pretty cheap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'll pickup some Safflower seeds and give them a try
in the Breeze box. I would like to cut down the noise the
breeze pellets (kitty scratching to cover) sounds like against
the plastic and I think the seeds should do that.
Its only really bugs me a night because the litter box is across the
hall in the other bedroom.
Do the seeds obsorb smell though of pee?
I buy several hundreds of pounds of bird seed
per year for all my bird feeders but I never thought of it.
Worth a try.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms.Blackie

Do the seeds obsorb smell though of pee?
I don't know. They're *supposed* to be non-absorbent but they might actually be very, very low absorbent and so might hold some odor. I tried to use them in a Feline Pine box to get a urine sample from from FLUTD kitty but she wouldn't use them. She's very fussy about her litter.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have you tried the safflower seeds yet? I have a big bag of them to try.

My thought about the smart cat box is that it is the perfect way to catch a urine sample. Important for me because I have a crf kitty whose urine SG and a spin to look for bacteria has to be done monthly.

It would be much less stressful and expensive to be able to collect a clean sample this way. I understood that the safflower seed do not absorb the urine at all, nor contaminate it significantly to alter a Urinalysis.

I would love to know what you think of how they work.

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot to pick the seeds up last weekend during my shopping.
Have to wait till this weekend to pick them up.
I'll let you know when I try it what I think vs the breeze pellets I use.
Those pellets dont absorb either, did you try those?

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I looked at the Safflower seeds at the feed store and they are so small
pieces I think alot of them will fall through the grating.
I might still pick some up and just see what happens & report back.

sheena13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From the Smart Box FAQ's section::
"How do I clean and freshen the litter and the SMART CAT BOX?

Depending on the number of cats that use the box and the frequency of urination you may find it necessary to freshen and clean the litter periodically. We have tested a product that works very well. It is called Clorox Anywhere. It is non-toxic and available locally. We do not endorse or carry the product but it works wonders. Just spray the litter and allow to dry; no rinsing is necessary. Periodically you may want to clean the floor of the bottom box. Use the Clorox Anywhere spray and wipe with a paper towel. "

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Reviving an old thread.........

Has anyone had any experience with this litter box???? I have several litter boxes in my house but it seems all the kitties choose to use the one in the downstairs bathroom and theres always litter on the floor. I had a breeze at one time (still have it but don't use it) and liked it. But I just don't like throwing away all that plastic (the pads). For that reason I stopped using it. Has anyone used this particular box for a long time now and like it???

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. It sounds too good to be true. Scooping is getting to be a real hardship for me as I get older and more arthritic.

No one is mentioning what happens to the poop though.

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was on their website- the poop gets scooped out like you normally would with a regular litter. They say you can flush it but ifyou live near water it is not recommended as cat poop can harm seals/otters???? If I do decide to get this I just might get a bucket I can scoop the poop into and when its full bring outside to my doggie doolie thing. (like a septic system- we made our own though didn't buy the ones in the store.....so its MUCH bigger.)

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cmedeiros17

I was on their website- the poop gets scooped out like you normally would with a regular litter. They say you can flush it but ifyou live near water it is not recommended as cat poop can harm seals/otters???? If I do decide to get this I just might get a bucket I can scoop the `poop into and when its full bring outside to my doggie doolie thing. (like a septic system- we made our own though didn't buy the ones in the store.....so its MUCH bigger.)
Thanks. This system is really appealing to me, as the scooping of pee is getting so difficult, and I will not use clumping litter. It may be just what I am looking for.

So, the safflower seeds are used because they are NON absorbent, right? The website recommends washing them with some non toxic non bleach clorox stuff, but now I can't find the page where I read that.

I am thinking I may get a box and try it, once Queen Eva is all done with her expensive stuff. And if they like it, and I like it, I will replace all boxes with it.

I won't flush the poop though, I'll continue to throw it away. But it would be great to be able to just pour the pee down the toilet every day, rather than all that scooping.

I was thinking I'd probably spill the pee all over, but I just watched the video, and the reservoir that catches the pee is contained, so kind of spill proof.

Will the cats try to eat the safflower seed though. Hmmm

PS there is an accessory:high sides for our stand up pee-ers! (like my Mazy cat) Or maybe just place the SmartBox into a larger tote.

Wow, I am getting excited. The initial outlay is a lot, but if I can believe the promo, the savings in cat litter expense if I purchase four systems, will allow it pay for itself in a year or 14 months. That really depends on how often the safflower seeds need to be replaced. After all, if they stick to the poop, some will be removed daily.

On the other hand, with something like this, maybe I would not need four or five boxes, maybe three would do, since the pee won't be sitting in the box.

Wow. just..wow.

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ya I think they were talking about Clorox Cleanup. I'm not sure how I feel about that.......I probably would just clean out the seeds every so often. Supposedly the clorox stuff is safe......but I dunno. Supposedly the seeds last a long time dependong how many cats you have. Plus you can buy the seeds locally as well- thats a plus. Though they did say you might have to sift out the smaller seeds first by sifting it through the box if you buy seeds from another source.

My only question is- how much does a cat pee in a day??? I have five cats and if they all decide to pee in this one box (though I have others) will it overflow in one day??? It says the reservoir holds 24 oz. And I was also concerned as to wether they would eat the seeds.

Hoping someone whill chime in that has used this box (successfully or unsuccessfully)!!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, I hadn't thought about, if they all use the same box and getting an over flow problem.

If I use this system, and I am seriously considering it, I will have at least three boxes. If I see the need for another I'll add four, but with the pee not staying in the box, I think three may be sufficient, since they don't all poop on the same schedule.

Yeah, I don't think I would use that clorox clean up either. Though I wonder if vinegar would work. When the boxes are being cleaned every week, swish the seeds in some white vinegar, then rinse? Hmm.....

Also, quality has to be considered. How sturdy are those boxes? With that kind of grated bottom, will breakage be a problem? None of my cats are heavy weights, but still.And, they do a lot of scratching. Would the thing hold up to all that? How often would the top grated part need to be replaced I wonder.

Would it be harmful to their claws to scratch on that kind of open surface? Or would they learn to keep their claws in?

It's a lot to think about.

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am thinking about trying one. I do have other boxes in the house, but my concern is if they all decide to pee in this particular one lol. If i like this one I will replace the others with this kind as well. But for some reason all my kitties have gotten in the habit of using the box that is in my bathroom downstairs. They are getting lazy and not really using the 3 I have upstairs! LOL.

I would also need to get the one with the high sides as I have a "high pee-er". I've been trying to research more on this product with google. I've found nothing but good remarks. I did find a site that mentioned putting the box on a boot tray or something if you have a cat that urinates a lot and are nervous about overflow.

They say you can just clean the seeds with regular water or a mix of bleach/water ......I'm sure you could use vinegar instead.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cmedeiros17

Otto- I found a writeup on here about this box: http://www.thecatsite.com/Prowl/184/Smart-Cat-Box.html
Thanks! She talks about "corn cob" pellets though, not safflower seeds. I wonder it originally was designed for the corn cob pellets and they found the safflower seeds to be better?

The waxy corn cob pellets can be easily sprayed once a week with a solution of lemon juice, alcohol, and water once a week, then mixed with a scoop and allowed to dry for 15 minutes or so to keep fresh. In this way, the box is self-cleaning.
I do like everything I've read so far and thank you for reviving this thread.

My main concern now is durability and if the cats would be bothered by the grate type bottom.

I won't be able to get one to try for a few months, due to budget restraints, so I am really looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will let you know once I order it.....may be a bit for me as well. Might end up being an Xmas gift to myself LOL!

I did email the company asking if this box would be able to hold large cats (Mine weigh about 15 lbs each....they are big kitties) and also what their opinion might be about my "overflow" issue if they all use one box. I'm sure they can't give me a definitive answer on that question but I'd like to see what they say. I'm sure they must have tested it in multicat households.

I'll keep you updated!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ordered one! I am that tired of scooping, I just have to try it, now. Budget bedarned, LOL!

I ordered the Value package which comes with 10 pounds of seed, the box system, the extension sides (which are imperative for Mazy cat) and a scoop, and a discount code that saved me another $6 or so.

Right after I ordered it I remembered I've had almost $300 in emergency vet bills for Tolly in the past two weeks.

I don't care. If this makes my life easier, it is worth every penny.

There are other places I can cut back.

Aaaannddd...once I look it over, and if the cats like it, I may be able to devise my own system for the rest of the boxes.

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You will have to keep us updated once you get it!!!! I've been trying to monitor how much my cats actually pee in a day to see if this would work for me or not.