The Sky is the limit!

inklaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone.  I often read on this site but have never joined and posted.   But I wanted to share my success story (so far!) with my feral guy Sky.

Sky started hanging out in my backyard back in December.   He was very shy and would run into the bushes whenever he saw us outside.  I thought he might belong to a new neighbor and go in and out.   Where I live there are only a few days below freezing each year, so when a very cold snap came through and I saw him run out of my detached garage, I knew that he was homeless.   I made him a cozy bed in the garage and began feeding him nightly.  

At first he waited a long while before venturing into the garage.  Then the interval got shorter and shorter and by May he was waiting in the driveway for me to come home and put out his food.  He still wouldn't let me near enough to touch him or come up to me at all, but would eat (very cautiously) with us about 10 feet away.   I was trying to get him tame enough to catch him and get him fixed.

In June, I noticed that he was getting thinner and thinner and saw that he had a bloody spot behind his ear.  I assumed he had been in a fight and was afraid it was getting infected.  I knew then that I couldn't wait any longer, so I borrowed a trap from the vet.  I set it out in the garage one night and caught him without much trouble.  

The next morning he went to the vet to be neutered, get his shots, and get some tests run.   Turns out his bloody ears were from mites.  The poor baby had scratched himself bloody :(.   He was given medications and antibiotics and the vet advised that we keep inside for a few weeks to avoid infection.    The FIV and FeLV tests were negative.  Vet estimated that he is about 3 years old.    Only 8.8 lbs.

It turns out that he also has parasites (Giardia and Coccidia).   The Vet prescribed these very expensive "treats" that he absolutely refused to eat.   Now he is taking liquid Albon, but I don't think it will treat the Giardia.   More about all that on another post perhaps.

He's been living in the utility room for about 3 weeks now.   When I trapped him I fully expected to be releasing him back into the backyard again since I had made such little progress at socializing him.    I had previously wondered if he was a stray turned feral or feral born, but when he didn't know how to use the litterbox, I knew that he wasn't just someone's lost pet.   I began the process of training him to use a litterbox by putting some dirt on a puppy pee pad and gradually reducing the amount of dirt and increasing the amount of cat litter each day.   When he was using only litter, I moved the pee pad into a litterbox and finally was able to remove the pee pad altogether.  YAY!  

Here is Sky, a few days after he came inside to live.  He was hiding behind the closet curtain and I moved it for a photo.  Immediately after I snapped this I got a lovely hiss from him.   The scratches on his nose are from hitting it on the cage when he was trapped.  They are healed now.

In the last 3 weeks, he's gone from hissing and hiding to rubbing against my leg when I prepare his food.   I watched the "tough love" youtube videos and have used many of those techniques modified for an adult feral.   The real turning point was when I brought out the Gerber baby food chicken.  As most of you experienced feral mamas know, it truly is Kitty Crack!   Soon he was eagerly licking it off  a spoon.   I started with my fingers but he was a little too grabby so I switched to a spoon.   On the first day we brought it out, he overcame his fear to climb into my lap to lick it up.     

The first day I brought the Baby Food Chicken (BFC!) out.  He was so focused on getting it that he didn't even notice he was IN the lap of the scary monster (me). 

Every day I see progress as he becomes a bit braver and willing to let me be around him.  At first I could only get near him or touch him when I had food or treats, but now he will cautiously allow me to touch him without food!  Last night we hit a new milestone - a PURR!  After his tummy was full, he cautiously came up to me for some head scratches and as I rubbed his head and cheek, he leaned into it and started purring.   He does spin and swipe at me if I go to fast with the progression, but there's not any anger behind it.  Just nervousness and fear.  

The goal for this week is to keep building trust and rewarding his bravery with treats.   Next Friday is his followup vet appointment and so I'm working on getting him comfortable with entering the carrier for treats with me sitting next to it.  

Now I hope to socialize him to be an indoor family member.    I have 2 other cats that he will have to be introduced to, but that will be after the parasites are gone.   The utility room door has a clear cat door and he spends most of his waking hours watching and talking to me, my 19 yr old son, and the other cats.   I don't know how he'll get along with my Senior girl (who is newly diagnosed with kidney problems) but I think he could be good friends eventually with my scaredy cat boy Sheldon who is also 3.   Sheldon's been lonely since his kitten buddy passed away about 6 months ago from a freak illness.  

Anyway.. I know this is long, but I really enjoy reading all the feral stories here and thought Sky's progress so far might be encouraging to someone down the line and I look forward to any advice offered by the experienced feral tamers :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much for sharing Sky's story..

It's always such a treat to hear of how a very frightened, homeless cat can learn to trust through patience and love.    We look forward to hearing more.

Welcome to TCS!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What an absolutely amazing story.  Sky is so very lucky to have found you. 

A tip for getting him into the carrier is to begin feeding him in the carrier.  I brought a feral/stray into my home 2 year ago.  It took him a really long time to get acclimated to living inside a home.  I had done TNR on him a few months before deciding to bring him into the house, but once inside he needed to get to the vet before he could have any contact with my other animals.  I purchased a large mesh carrier.  It was a big bigger than I needed, but it allowed me to comfortably feed him inside it.  I started by placing the food just outside the carrier and each day I moved it further and further inside.  It just became where he was going to eat his food.  On the morning of the vet visit, I put just a tiny amount of food in his carrier.  I then blocked the exit with a sturdy board and zipped him up.  I covered the carrier with a sheet and he calmed.  It worked really well. 

Here is the carrier I used:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inklaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks y'all.  I have learned so much on this site.   

Good idea about feeding him in the carrier.  I have a big "pet taxi" style carrier that I'll use.  He will enter it if I toss a few treats in there but he doesn't stay in there long.   With as much progress as he has made so fast, I don't think it will be a problem getting him in there by next week. 

Last night and this morning when I went in his room to feed him and give him some attention, he didn't hiss at all.  I'm just flabbergasted at the difference between this sweet boy now and a month ago when he would cower behind the bushes when I went outside.   He seems to REALLY enjoy his neck scratches after he eats.  

Last night he and Sheldon were playing with each other under the door.    Sheldon is often too rough with my old senior Polka Dot, so having a new buddy will hopefully be a good thing.   I bought some Feliway and have plugged it in near the door to encourage happy calm thoughts when they interact through the cat door "window".

I just wish we could clear up these stupid parasites!  His poo is still pretty squishy.  I'm thinking we need a new medicine for the Giardia.    He refused the Flagyl and ate about half of the meds for the Coccidia (can't remember the name right now) when I stopped mixing the two treats together.   The compounding pharmacy had made them into some chewy treats but Sky said NOPE to the flagyl ones.   I told the vet last week and she gave me some liquid Albon which he is taking just fine, but from what I've read, that's only for the Coccidia and not the Giardia.     I'll have to ask for something else at his next visit.   I just ordered a steam cleaner which will hopefully kill any beasties around. 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be sure to hold off introductions with your other animals until the parasites are cleared up.  You do not want your other pets infected.  Also be sure to take introductions very slowly.  It is difficult enough to bring a feral/stray into the home and ask them to adjust and then to ask them to get along with the rest of your animal family.  It took my feral/stray one solid year to learn to coexist with my resident cat and dog.  It was a slow process.  If you would like to see some articles and a great video on cat to cat introductions I would be happy to post them for you.  The key is to go very slowly.  Most of us rush the process and end of backtracking.  Also be sure to have feliways throughout the house.  I also used the Comfort Zone spray for areas where I didn't have an outlet.  Another helpful product was Composure liquid max.  It helped to calm my animal family.  When I did intros, the feral/stray who was so sweet and loving in his own safe room and with my human family, turned into a territorial aggressive nightmare.  The liquid composure max was so helpful in calming him. 

My feral/stray (Marvin) had Bartonella (Cat Scratch Fever) and had to be medicated for 21 days.  He hated the liquid so I went to the compounding pharmacy and tried 3 flavors ( and lots of money down the toilet) and he refused them all.  I could pet Marvin, but not hold him steady for pilling.  I then had the compound pharmacy make a plain pill and I was able to put it into a pill pocket.  Have you tried pill pockets?  Marvin loved them.  My next option was to hire one of the vet techs to come to my house and give him the pill each day. 

I hope all continues to go well. 

inklaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've not heard of liquid Composure Max.  I will definitely have to look into that!   I did also buy some of the Feliway spray.  I'll use it on the carrier to reduce the vet visit stress and for those "as needed" occasions.  It's the first time I've ever used Feliway so I'm curious to see how it works out.

The funny thing is that my other 2 cats are not terribly curious about the constantly crying feral on the other side of the window.  They lay on the kitchen floor in his full view and pretty much ignore him.  I try to use that window to my advantage by letting Sky see me pet and love on them as much as possible.   Occasionally they will sit nose to nose at the window.   And when I go in to give Sky attention, PolkaDot or Sheldon sometimes comes to peek in and see who Mama is talking to.     It is mainly Sky that wants to make friends with them.  He calls to them and talks to them constantly using the friendly little purry noises.    We will go very very slow with introductions and I'm sure there will be a lot of 1 step forward and 2 steps back sort of thing, but I  look forward to the day when he's no longer in solitary confinement.

You are absolutely right, I will definitely need to hold off on introductions until those pesky parasites are 100% gone.   I do not want Polka Dot getting sick! 

Yeah that compounding pharmacy was $$$ and the shipping was a lot!  Especially since he refused to eat it.   Why the vet or the pharmacy ever thought it would be a good idea to make the bitter Flagyl into a tuna treat is beyond me.  A 2 minute google search told me how bitter it was.  If I had known I'd have insisted on pills instead.  I tried hiding tiny bits of that treat in everything I could imagine with NO luck.  As soon as I learned about the Flagyl, I stopped mixing it up with the coccidia medication and he did eat that treat just fine (when disguised in food).     I just got some of the pill pockets the other day since I am just starting to medicate Polka Dot daily with Pepcid A/C for her kidney issues :(.   She wasn't a big fan of them, but I bet Sky would eat them like candy.   I will definitely ask for a pill for him next time now that I have learned more sneaky tricks from this forum (like hiding it in a gelatin capsule!).

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have used chicken flavored gelatin capsules to hide nasty nasty dontral worming meds for my ferals.  It works well.  If you can hold the cat, a pill gun works so well.  I had to give pepcid to one of my cats ( along with other meds too) and the pill gun was so darn easy to use.  Just give a small squirt of water after to help get the pill down to the stomach quicker.  You can find them on Amazon and some vets sell them too.  Here is what they look like

inklaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boys had some friendly interaction at the "howdy window" tonight. Lots of happy purr noises going back and forth! Sheldon peeks in.
They were both much happier than thy seem in the photos. I just love how they both have white nose triangles.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Love the pictures!!  What a great way for the cats to safely view each other. 

inklaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
An update:  Today was the day for his 1 month followup at the vet.  I've been giving him treats in his carrier for a week or so and this morning he went inside the carrier very willingly and I was able to calmly shut the door.  No drama at all - yay!   I had lined the carrier with a towel and sprayed it (before setting out the treats of course) with some Feliway to ease his stress a bit. 

He hollered a bit during the drive to the vet but nothing out of the ordinary for most cats when going for a trip in the car.  I do remember that he was silent for the first trip so I'm taking his hollering "let me Meooooowwwt of this car!" as progress.  He's no longer too scared to make noise.

When we went into the exam room, the vet tech and I thought it might be easier on him to just take the lid off of the carrier to access him.  So we unscrewed the connectors and removed the top.  Quick as a bunny he took the opportunity to go hide behind the treat jars.   You can see how huge his pupils are. 

But, although he was scared, he was such a brave good boy!  He allowed us to gradually move the treat jars and move him.  He even purred for the vet when she gave him a pet and a scratch behind the ears.   He let her give him his shots without a peep.   Thankfully he pooped this morning right before I went to give him breakfast and for whatever reason didn't cover it up with litter this time.  I was able to bag it up (yuck!) and take it in with us so to show the vet.   She was thrilled that they wouldn't have to get a fecal sample the hard way.   And on another gross note, now that we've finished a round of the Albon medication, his poo is beginning to be more normal so I'm hopeful that the parasites are gone!

Sky let us move him, but was not cooperative about getting on the scale and remaining still.  We decided that it wasn't necessary as he is gaining weight and looking healthier now.   After jumping off the scale and counter, he hid behind my legs and then moved to the bench.  I was able to sit and pet him and actually pick him up and hold him before putting him back in the carrier for the trip home.    I love this guy and am so proud of his progress!

When we arrived home, I let him stay in the carrier for a little bit in the living room.  He and my other 2 kitties calmly laid right next to each other and sniffed noses.

Next goals:  Nail trimming, and full introductions to my other kitties.    

With lots of love, patience and Gerber chicken baby food, (most) ferals can be socialized!

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
This is an excellent update.. photos and all..

He's doing so well!

inklaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday we got the good news that the fecal test came back negative for parasites so we have started the introductions. 

Last night we carefully opened the door and let the 2 boys touch noses and get acquainted.  It went very well!  No hissing or spitting. Sky was super brave and explored all around the main rooms of the house.  He never did that crouched down running thing or hid under any furniture.  I was pretty shocked.  Sheldon is often a giant scaredy cat, but he can be a bully to our senior girl Polka Dot occasionally so I was nervous about how he would react.  Thankfully Sheldon mostly just sat and watched Sky explore.   Polka Dot was in the back room for this first meet and greet.  We didn't push it and kept the first visit short.

Tonight was visit number 2.  Sky again is very curious and brave.  Still no real aggression from anyone.  Polka Dot came to say hello and then walked away uninterested aside from a casual hiss thrown over her shoulder as if to say, "you can live here, but don't think about touching me ok?"  Sheldon seems to be trying to establish his place as alpha cat a little.  There were a few small tiffs with some swatting but no growling or overt hostility.   We learned that Sky definitely views the utility room as HIS safe zone and the only time he really chased and swatted first was when Sheldon would try to enter the utility room.  We gave all 3 some treats when there was peace and calm and my daughter played with both of the boys a bit with the ribbon on a pole toy.   We let them be together for over an hour before putting Sky back in his safe room.    Sky was pretty darn docile when Sheldon would try to intimidate him. 

Honestly, I'm just STUNNED at how un-feral Sky is acting.  If I hadn't seen him in his feral state, I would never believe he wasn't a house cat.  In the beginning he clearly had never been around humans or inside before.  

Oh!  I forgot to mention that he allowed me to cut his nails tonight.  I. cut. his. nails!   I sat on the floor and put a towel in my lap. I sloooowly picked him up and set him in my lap (petting his neck) then sloooowly wrapped him in the towel.  He was NOT happy when I turned him over but he didn't struggle or hiss/bite.  He let me carefully clip the tips off of his nails and then I set him down again with lots of neck rubs and love.  

I'm so thrilled that he's chosen us!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He definitely sounds more stray like than feral.  The cat I brought into the house was also a stray who lived on his own outside for almost 2 years.  He had developed mostly feral behavior.  Yet when he came to live inside, he must have remembered touch, love and having a roof over his head.  He progressed with humans pretty quickly.  You would never be able to trim the nails of a true feral cat!! 

Remember to take the introductions slowly.  Most humans want to rush the progress as they think things are going so well.  If the process is rushed, it will only set you back.  Keep working at a slow pace. 

Have you seen these articles and video on cat to cat intros?

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/a-simple-little-trick-to-use-during-new-cat-introductions/

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/introducing-your-cat-new-cat

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

inklaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I agree.  I really wish I knew his story before he came to live in my backyard.   It's so puzzling because he was SOOO feral when he was outside.  After 6 months of patience and effort I never made any progress at all in befriending him.  The first week he was indoors made me think he was indeed a feral as he had NO CLUE at all how to use a litterbox.    But then he progressed through the socialization steps so fast that it has me second guessing.

I guess I'll just be grateful that he's happy and safe now.  We are indeed taking things very slowly.   He gets to be out and about for just a short supervised time each day.  I am trying hard to make each one a positive experience and end it on a good note.   So far so good.  I've only ever socialized kittens before now so this is new territory.  Slow and steady wins the race!    

Thanks for the links!  I'll go back and re-read them  to make sure I haven't missed any tips that might help.  Thankfully his required isolation and the logistics of our utility room took care of some of these steps automatically.  The peek-through cat  door really helped all the kitties meet safely over the last month.

inklaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another update:

Things are going well.  Sky is now out of isolation whenever there are humans home to intercede just in case there is a fight.   I wouldn't say they are all friends yet, but they are peacefully co-existing.    The only time we have heard any upset cat noises is when one of them happens to surprise the other (innocently).   They do all seem to be a little bit jumpy but not so much that it's stressing them out.  I've got the Feliway plug-in going so hopefully that is helping out.   There are LOTS of cat beds and hiding places and climbing trees in the house so that they can all choose a spot far away from the others.   Sky has chosen a previously unloved bed at the bottom of the cat tree as his favorite spot.   

Last summer we rescued a 4 week old kitten after we saw him hit by a car.   He survived with only a small cut and a tail amputation.   After a LOT of vet visits, TLC, and a few rounds of treatment for ringworm, Oliver became our little pride and joy.  My grey tuxedo cat Sheldon really adopted him and it was SO wonderful to watch them play and snuggle.   In December, a few weeks after he was neutered, Oliver suddenly became very sick.   His potassium went way up but all the other kidney numbers were fine.   It was a freak illness and we had some really great vets consulting on his care.  In less than 24 hours time, his little heart gave out.  We were DEVASTATED to lose him!  He was a bright spot during a VERY hard time in our life and one of the real sources of joy for all of us but especially for my very ill father (who just passed away in February)    

About a month after Oliver crossed the bridge, Sky showed up in our yard on that cold day in January.   Although we love Sky now, at first we were all still a little bit disappointed that instead of a playful, loving kitten, we were taking on a full grown adult cat with medical problems that hated us.   Just not the bit of joy that we needed.    Sky must have realized that and is now on a mission to bring out his inner kitten.   This cat can PLAY like I've never seen an adult cat play.   It's like he is making up for lost time.    All those toys that previously sat unloved in the basket have now been tossed and thrown and batted all around the house.  It's clear that Sky has had to catch his dinner before because he is very adept and tossing and catching!    We are having a ball watching him run and play.  His favorites are a mouse that squeaks when he bats it around and the fleece ribbon on a fishing pole toy.   It's honestly like he never got to be a playful kitten before!

Surprisingly, he has ZERO interest in looking out the window or going through the cat door out onto the catio.  I wonder if he knows how close he is to his former outside territory.   He is thriving on being an indoor kitty.  

As I expected, now that he has more stimulation from being out in the whole house, he's regressed a bit in allowing us to pet him, but we are working on that again with the aid of some cat treats.    

Sky really really wants to be friends with Sheldon, but Sheldon is such a scaredy cat!   I can tell he wants to make friends but just can't quite overcome his hesitance... yet.   Last night I found them both sleeping just 12" apart under the table.   And Sky walks through the house friendly talking and calling Sheldon.    What a loudmouth! :)

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Another beautifully written update, @inklaura.  You have a wonderful way of describing it all.

I agree with ShadowsRescue that Sky was one a domestic cat.  I guess they can revert to a feral state because of their terribly difficult new life.

that Sheldon decided to be friends sooner rather than later.  It does sound inevitable.

inklaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So it's been a few months and I thought I'd post an update.

The introductions continued at a slow pace.   We continued with a small amount of togetherness in the evenings when I could supervise and play with them.   Gradually the time increased until all 3 cats were living together quite peacefully.    Not much interaction between any of them, but no aggression or fighting either.  

Sky eventually did begin to explore the catio and I would often find all 3 of them outside napping.   They would all 3 find their own corner of my bed to sleep in at night.  Things were going pretty well.   Sky was and still is LOVING being an indoor cat.   2 meals a day? Canned food?  Soft beds?  Ear scratches?  Mama's lap covered in soft blankets?  YES PLEASE!!!   He doesn't like to be picked up (and may never like it and that's ok) but will tolerate it if necessary.   The nail trimming thing was a fluke.  Now he's like "no way!"    Sky has discovered his inner kitten and LOVES LOVES LOVES his toys.   I've never seen an adult cat play as much as he does.  It's almost like he's making up for lost time.  

Things were going very well.  Then my sweet senior girl got worse.  Terminal cancer.  We made her last few weeks comfortable and had to say goodbye about a month ago.     Around the same time period that Polka Dot was getting sicker and sicker, the boys started a bit of fussing at night - usually over who got to sleep in the best spot on my bed.  Then I noticed Sky spraying the wall next to the cat tree one day.  :(      

About few days before Polka dot crossed the rainbow bridge,  I noticed that Sheldon was visiting the litterbox every few minutes and only peeing a few drops.   I immediately took him to the vet.    After lots of tests, the diagnosis was stress induced cystitis.  sigh...  The vet prescribed some pain meds which helped a lot and recommended Feliway.   I had been using that at the beginning but had run out and hadn't refilled it since things had been going so well.    Sheldon was soon able to pee a bit better.   Socially, things improved a little but not much.   We kept the boys somewhat separated and calm as much as possible, but my main focus that week was on my poor Polka Dot's last few days.

After Polka Dot's passing, we did our best to maintain peace in the home and separate the boys when necessary.   I continued to monitor Sheldon's litterbox use.   I purchased a cat fountain to encourage Sheldon to drink.  Neither cat will go near it of course.   When the boys were both free in the house they got along ok for a little while, but before too long Sheldon would corner Sky and pin him and they would grab the back of each other's necks.  Sky would holler and try to run and hide (but not aggressively attack back).  Sometimes it would start when Sky would try to play with Sheldon's tail and scaredy-cat Sheldon wanted NO part of that!  

The separation has now become full time.  While one is in the main part of the house, the other is in my bedroom/bathrooom area.   We swap out the areas so that each of them has the opportunity to go out onto the catio which they both love.    Sky cries constantly when separated from us.   Sheldon seems to like being alone, but does not appreciate being restricted from the full run of the house.    The other day I discovered that someone had been peeing on the bathmat in the spare bathroom and Sky sprayed the wall/floor in my closet.   Sheldon now stands up to pee and shoots it over the top of the extra tall litterbox and across the room. yay.   I've come up with all sorts of things to alleviate that mess.

I know a lot of this is due to my own stress level (which is extreme - due to some hard life circumstances right now) and the fact that in the last year we have lost our sweet Oliver,  added Sky, and then lost Polka Dot.   Plus my teenage kids have moved in and out as they return from working at camp and going to college.    I'm also wondering if there are any visitors in the backyard adding some transferred aggression to the mix

Basically we are back to step one.   Introductions between 2 adult males can be tricky and we've definitely had a setback.  I tried to take things very slowly and it was going well, but all the household stress and upheaval may have been more than they could handle.    

My plan:  Step 1:  Total separation.   Step 2:  Attention, playtime,  Feliway, and flower essences to alleviate stress.   Space swapping to keep one cat from feeling imprisoned in the bedroom.    Step 3:  SLOW introduction process beginning with feeding near each other and re-learning to associate good things with being together...      

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for coming back to update.  I am so sorry for the loss of your kitties.  It has been a very stressful time for you. 

Have you tried any Feliway diffusers or Composure liquid max?  Both really can help.  I used Composure to help the situation when I had 2 males to introduce.  When my two started out, things went really well.  I did intros slowly (or so I thought) and the boys could be out in the house together during the day.  Then something happened and it all went to h*ll.  It was constant chasing, hissing, growling, yowling, fur flying.  I had to completely restart the introductions.  It was so hard.  Both cats were completely on edge.  My resident cat was a terrified mess.  The new cat was so aggressive.  It helped for me to have lots of vertical space.  My resident cat liked to be up high while my new guy was a bush dweller. 

I completely separated them for about 7-10 days to regroup.  During that time I did scent swapping and some room swapping.  Yet no face to face.  Then I started the meals in front of the baby gate.  This took us a long time,  My resident cat was so afraid.  I then purchased a cheap wooden screen door at Lowes for $20 and attached it to the safe room door with tension rods.  It was  pain to take down, but well worth it in the end.  I had a baby gate in the door way for extra protection.  I only used this set up during supervised visits.  The cat inside the room could hear, see and smell what was going on in the house.  The resident cat could safely look inside or also hear and see the new cat.  Feedings on either side of this set up went smoother.

Things were going well and then the holidays hit.  I had a cat sitter in to feed the cats.  The new cat got out and my cat sitter could not find him.  I told her to put my resident cat in my sons room and shut the doors so he would be safe.  We were arriving home in a few hours.  Once we got home and we went to look for the new cat but could not find him.  Our resident cat was not at the door to my sons room waiting.  We found both cats under my sons bed.  The new cat had gone into my sons room and the cat sitter had no idea.  They were shut in together for 6 hours.  Ugh.  We have no idea what happened, but once again another set back. 

We kept working daily with the cats.  My son would sit with the resident cat on one side of a baby gate and I was on the other with the new cat.  We would give them both yummy chicken or tuna.  They learned to associate each other with something yummy.  We did this at least once a day.  Next I moved to placing one cat in a large dog crate.   I covered the crate on 3 sides iwth a sheet and once again fed them yummy snacks.  I also started to play with them with a string. 

After the holiday mess, I started giving both cats Composure liquid max.  It was easy to mix into wet food.  I gave each 1/2 t in the morning and 1/4 t. at night.  After a few weeks my resident cat didn't need it any more.  Yet, the aggressive one needed it for 6 months.  It worked very well. 

When all was said and done, the intro process took one year from start to finish.  It was September when I started reintroductions and by March things were better.  By May, the safe room was no longer needed.  Then by the following September the boys decided to be friends.  They chase each other, sleep together, groom each other and generally like each other.  So it can work out.  My goal was just peaceful coexistence.  I got so much more. 

Here is a picture of my screen door set up. 

inklaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for sharing your story ShadowsRescue!  It gives me hope that eventually my boys will get along.   And it makes me feel better that this sort of setback isn't too unusual.  They did SO well at the beginning that it's disappointing to see them fighting now.   At one point, they would even curl up and sleep together in the chair.   I just know that they would both benefit from a friend!  Sky, surprisingly, is not aggressive at all and is SO playful.  I know he desperately wants a play buddy.   Sheldon has always been a scaredy-cat type bully.  He puts on a big show, but deep down, he is scared and lonesome.   They both seem to be trying to figure out which one is the alpha male in the house.   And of course the pecking order dynamics are all changed now that Polka Dot is no longer here :(

Part of me just has to laugh.  With all the stress I'm facing on a daily basis (single mom, challenging job, car trouble, elderly sick parents, etc...),  I have to worry about de-stressing my CAT who has food delivered to him twice a day and spends most of his life choosing which one of his cat towers he will choose to take his next nap.  
  Doesn't he know that his job is to de-stress me?  lol.

I haven't tried Composure, but do have two Feliway diffusers.  One in the bedroom and one in the den.   I also spray their bedding occasionally with the Feliway spray.   I have just started giving them both some Bach's Rescue Remedy for pets twice a day.   I thought about adding it to their water fountain, but the rotten stinkers refuse to drink out of it.   I was also considering using some of the Spirit Essences Peacemaker stuff if the Rescue Remedy doesn't help.

I love the idea of adding the screen door!  Thanks for sharing the pics.   Will be a pain to take it up and down though as I go in and out of that door often.  But then I could feed them together.   They have ruined the carpet under that door trying to get in/out.  I don't think they are trying to get at each other but they don't like being restricted.  

Good thing I love these little stinkers.  

inklaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok y'all.  I need help!   Things have gotten worse and I'm not sure what to do next.  

The total separation and space swapping was in progress with only a few (incident free) accidental moments of togetherness when someone escaped their rooms.   Last week Sheldon was having difficulty peeing again, so back to the vet we went.  Again, everything was ok - just stress.   After a few doses of pain medication he is doing well.  He's now on some urinary food (C/D) just in case.  

After that, we stopped all site swapping and had Sky living in my back bedroom and bathroom.   Sheldon had the rest of the house and the bathroom.   I figured that might be best as Sheldon hated being cooped up in the back and Sky was the one who really enjoys snuggling up close to me to sleep at night.   It went ok for a few days, but now Sky is NOT happy in the back.  I'm sure he misses going out on the catio.  

I bought a pee-finding light to make sure we could find all the spots he might have sprayed and marked and it arrived Sunday.  Coincidentally, Sky peed on my BED on Sunday.   While shining the light around the house, I discovered that he had been spraying around all the doors and windows of the main living areas and around key places in my bedroom as well.  Sigh!    No wonder Sheldon has been stressed out.

It seems to be getting worse too - probably because Sky is so unhappy penned up in the bedroom only.   But I'm afraid to location swap again, for fear that Sheldon will have urinary issues again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do next?   I've got feliway spray going in both areas.  I've tried Rescue Remedy.   I am about to order the Composure liquid.   Has anyone tried Spirit Essences for ferals with any success?    I really think that if Sky would just stop spraying that they could get along again.  I still wonder what triggered the spraying to begin.   I've watched every episode I can find to see "what would Jackson Galaxy do".   I just can't think of much else I can change.  

Honestly, if he didn't love being an indoor cat SO much, I'd be tempted to have him be an outdoor kitty because of all the territorial marking drama.      Here's a shot of him living the good life.   This was just moments after he was lying on his back attacking his own tail as if it was an escaping mousie.    I can't bear to put him back outside, but sure wish I could figure out a solution to this.