The Sisters & Libby

mary13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sandie -
Yes, I agree it's tempting to try to link colour with temperament. When I was a child I had a tortie (female of course) and she was my first great cat love, in fact the one who really cemented my great love for cats, even though I was brought up in a predominantly dog-owning family that liked cats well enough, but always believed that dogs were more important. I don't think they ever were for me, looking back 50 or so years, cats were always number one. Anyway, I have had a great many wonderful cats in the meantime but amazingly, never another tortie, and because of my childhood cat, it's always in the back of my mind that they have superior temperament. My next cat is definitely going to be a tortie (provided I get any say in the matter). It's about time after all those years.

Catherine -
Interesting about the Arabs. They were my first commercial horse venture back in the 60s, I had a really top Arab stallion, brought for a pittance, he went on to be undefeated in Queensland for two years and could well have been the best in Australia when he was at his top, it was too far to take him south to the big shows down there to prove it, though good judges said he would have taken some tossing in any show ring in Australia. The show world is not a nice place though, and I grew right away from it after a few years. Your son sounds like he does endurance riding (competitive) or trail riding (non-competitive). I did both myself, again I had a really top horse, first purebred Arabian gelding to complete the premier distance event here the 100 mile Quilty Cup back in 1971. It's not something I continued with, despite rigid vet checks I feel that endurance riding is a bit on the cruel side.
Australian camels are finding there way over to Saudi for racing purposes, I believe they're highly prized and very good. Ungainly looking things, aren't they, esp compared with a top-class Arab.

catspride

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The racing camals are even more ungainly than the regular riding and meat camals. They are all legs and leanness -- like thoroughbred race horses. I guess, coming from the wild west (Texas and New Mexico), I rather like the powerful look of the quarter horse or the Arab who, for all its delicacy, is very compact.

As to torties, I don't know. I will have to watch mine. I really should be more systematic and take notes. But Sandi, I redict that we will know a great deal about behavior and physical characteristics of cats's before we take the next step in our cycles.Science is discovering things at a highly accelerated pace as the mechanical technology builds upon itself. don't dispair yet.