The safest and least stressful way to bring in a stray......

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend has recently become attached to a stray who is obviously a kitten, 6 months to a year old. She is not feral, approaches those she chooses to, especially him, extremely vocal and rubs up against him! Definitely chows down on any scraps or food given. My immediate concern and his is that she is missing her left rear foot. From what he can see, it is healed over, she is not in pain, though this generally hard to tell with most animals. He is becoming very attached to her, as well as others in the building who check on her, (Brooklyn, NYC).
Basically I am looking for opinions on the best way to build trust in this situation and bring her indoors without panic, as well as take her to vets without breaking previous trust relationship.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She seems to trust your friend already. Does she allow herself to be petted? If so, she will follow your friend indoors.
I don't think that a trip to the veterinarian will destroy the friendship. Of course the cat may get upset for a while but she will get over it, especially since she is a youngster.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Will she let you pick her up? If so, try and put her into a carrier and take her to a vet for a complete check up and address any medical issues she may have. If she is letting you pet her, she is probably looking to be rescued. Good luck!

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Maia. I agree with posts #2 and #3

My instinct says this will turn out fine

(Cats can be forgiving. It depends on the cat!)

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
when I rescued Manny.....we trapped him in a carrier and brought him in the house. He also went to the vet the same day. Most cats forgive you really quick if you're loving them and feeding them yummy food.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree to take her to the vets asap. I found my cat abandoned outside and when I made the decision to bring her in my house, I took her to the vet 2 days later. I wasn't sure if she had bugs or any diseases so I wanted her to be checked out asap.