The Sad Christmas thread

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have already come to terms with this but I know there are other members out there (if they will come forth) that are going to have a meaningless or sad Christmas. Sometimes it helps to get things off of your chest, as they say.

In my case, my wife and step-daughter are now in Cambodia and will spend (already past) Christmas eve and Christmas at Angkar Wat, once the largest city in the world with over a million people. Although I have been to 64 countries, I have not been there and envy them.

But it goes beyond that, all of my family are Muslim so tonight is just December 24 and tomorrow is just December 25. There are no get togethers planned and Persi will be my companion. Not even Alley sleeps in the bed since Mom is gone.

So who else has a sad Christmas story? I know you are there and want to talk about it if you only will.

BTW there is a trace of snow on the ground and I have lived in Texas for 40 years and do not remember a white Christmas (or should I say December 25th?)

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Merry Christmas!!! And Happy Holidays!!! to you. I know you miss your wife and daughter, but you have your babies to cuddle with you.
You could use Skype to be with them.
Feel to talk to us here. I'll be here too, since it is just myself & husband and kitties.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sad Christmas here too... Also in Dallas...
My whole family is getting together in Brasil to celebrate - Christmas is HUGE there... The event of the year... And I am all alone here, no where to go, no one to hug, no Christmas meal, or tree, or laughs, or love, or nothing... My mom, dad, sister, grandma, aunties and uncles... Cousins... all together celebrating, and I will be here, probably eating ramen noodles.
It is most definitely the saddest day of the year for me, hands down. There is nothing happy about it. I don't even want to pick up the phone to hear my family wishing me a Merry Christmas, because it makes me want to cry, and just sleep all day and never wake up again... I just want it to go away...
It is a trip that this Christmas will be a White Christmas too... for what that is worth anyways...
Oh well...
So... That is my not so Merry Christmas... Unfortunately New Years Eve will be the same way, but at least it will bring a new Year, new hope... Something good to look forward to...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You can make a new holiday tradition of loving on Persi (and Alley if she'll let you), enjoying a treat (go get one!) and hanging out on TCS.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hubby, kids and I are just having a family day, I am sure I will be on here at some point tomorrow so come and have a chat. My best friend doesn't celebrate christmas and I know sometimes she finds it hard (not the christmas thing) but because alot of people spend it with their families and she doesn't get to see hers often as they live too far away.x

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We'll go over to DH's parents house tomorrow, if we can. To give them the gifts we got for them - no big meal planned, I'll probably have to dig around in my freezer and see what meats I have (I know there's a roast in there somewhere..). Otherwise we're not really having Christmas - DH's side of the family had two people hospitalized and another died all on the same day.

Due to weather, I can't leave town to go see my dad.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are flat broke this year. My husbands work is shutting down for a week with no pay and my part time job is only scheduling me 16 hours a week. We decided that we are going to roast marshmallows in the middle of the snow storm(actually it isn't snowing anymore today) and drink beer. I haven't celebrated the retail version of christmas for a long time. It seems my worst bills are at this time of year. Last year on christmas eve we adopted Felix from the humane society for our xmas present. Happy gotcha day felix!!!

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hubbys family will all miss his grandma, its not been a month since she passed. We have invited his grandad over on boxing day and I have invited my grandma so he has a bit of company, it must be so awful for him, they were married 54 years. x

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Carolina, if we weren't going up to my sister's in OKC (well, if the weather improves tomorrow morning!), we would have been glad to have you over. And so would the kitties!

We often have people over, especially when Dottie's school was open over the holidays.

Yup, white Christmas. You know, I think there was only one in the 16 years I lived in Denver?

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina and Lee---why don't you two get together, since you live relatively close to each other. Meet at a restaurant halfway and enjoy a hot meal and even hotter "cat talk?" MEOW!

I've had some sad Christmases myself. One year I had Lean Cuisine lasagne alone---how sad is that?

I have about 2 inches of snow here in north central Texas. The wind is blowing like crazy and the snow keeps falling. There have been 6 white Christmases since 1890, so they are rare indeed.

Hope all who are spending this holiday alone find at least a glimmer of joy and peace.

Hugs,

Cally

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been "orphaned" for many years now. Not only are both of my parents gone, but we don't live near any family at all. Perhaps I've been doing it for so long now that I'm used to it, but there are many Christmas's where Steve and I just share it with each other and it does feel empty.

For those spending the holidays alone, have you ever done an "orphan" Christmas? Find others in your same boat and have a pot luck gathering. No need for presents, it's just good to get together with folks sharing your experiences. We've invited all of our orphaned friends over tomorrow and we'll all get thru another Christmas in the only way we can. There is a lot to say for tradition, but sometimes you just have to start new ones.

to all that are having a tough time this year.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

I've had some sad Christmases myself. One year I had Lean Cuisine lasagne alone---how sad is that?
Well... that's how mine is going to be... but no lasagna for me... I have some frozen food (worse than lean cuisine) and some canned... noodles, etc... I am broke and alone, so yep, think back to that xmas of yours... That will be mine tonight.... Sucks.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Carolina, if we weren't going up to my sister's in OKC (well, if the weather improves tomorrow morning!), we would have been glad to have you over. And so would the kitties!

We often have people over, especially when Dottie's school was open over the holidays.

Yup, white Christmas. You know, I think there was only one in the 16 years I lived in Denver?
Thank you Mike
you drive safely - the weather is awful in OKC!!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had my share of them myself... I can't afford to visit my family down in CA. Until last Christmas, I spent most of my Christmases by myself... Last year and this year I'm going to my friends' house south of Portland (Milwaukie, OR) where we will all exchange gifts and have dinner. Her hubby works at New Seasons grocery market, and LOVES to cook... but because of his schedule, he doesn't usually get to cook much... so for holidays where the store is closed, he goes all out. And he makes a MEAN turkey...

I'm finishing up the second part of her gift (taking a break for now to think of the logistics of it - no pattern, my own design/idea).

I don't typically go into a whole huge deal about Christmas... I do a little... for me it's an excuse to just relax and enjoy the day... now, if I did go visit my family, it would be depressing (mom has Alzheimers). It's tough to be around my family... I just make the most of what I do have... there are some interesting things you can do with pantry food. (I call it Pantry-Diving). Frozen meat, canned stuff, a few spices... heh heh heh...

I hope you all can enjoy the day despite the solitude... curl up with a good book... and a few good kitties...

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will be alone myself as Sis and BIL are off to see niece and her family. I was invited but can't travel well anymore and I was sick last week and have another "ailment" right now (curse you, Mother Nature!) and Christmas with Nephew was this past Sunday and I was still not feeling well...

But I have a couple bottles of sparkling red grape juice, some fave foods,and lots of chocolate.

And I also remembered that we had a great time together at Thanksgiving so being alone tomorrow isn't all that bad.

to Lee and all my TCS buddies. I'll be online tomorrow, as usual.
My SS recipient is on the lightside and should finish opening tomorrow and I hope they will post.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Sad Christmas here too... Also in Dallas...
My whole family is getting together in Brasil to celebrate - Christmas is HUGE there... The event of the year... And I am all alone here, no where to go, no one to hug, no Christmas meal, or tree, or laughs, or love, or nothing... My mom, dad, sister, grandma, aunties and uncles... Cousins... all together celebrating, and I will be here, probably eating ramen noodles.
It is most definitely the saddest day of the year for me, hands down. There is nothing happy about it. I don't even want to pick up the phone to hear my family wishing me a Merry Christmas, because it makes me want to cry, and just sleep all day and never wake up again... I just want it to go away...
It is a trip that this Christmas will be a White Christmas too... for what that is worth anyways...
Oh well...
So... That is my not so Merry Christmas... Unfortunately New Years Eve will be the same way, but at least it will bring a new Year, new hope... Something good to look forward to...
I have had several TCS members over to my house that can vouch for me including Mike and Amy which have already posted in this thread. I live right by LBJ and Midway so can easily be gotten to from anywhere. Where in Dallas do you live? The Londoner which is within one mile of my house opens at five tomorrow and has great English pub style food and ale. Somebody further down mentioned we should get together. I do speak Spanish but not Portuguese. And of course we are great cat lovers. It might be a good idea. I am slightly handicapped and am recovering from a back operation so canot drive too far (in my Porsche.) We could have TV dinners at mine or your house but perhaps something a little more glamourous could be thought of. I await your input. Warning: I am in my sixties but still have long blond natural hair. Besides, this is not anything but spend Christmas together as true cat lovers. You can stop by my house but only Persi will greet you, Alley will hide on the third floor. I am sure there are other places that are open earlier than five, all we would have to do is look.
I am open to the idea that somebody suggested.

So, spend a little time with a cat lover on Christmas or nobody. I feel like I already know you from your posts.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the first Christmas without my mom. Also, I can't get back home to be with the rest of the family (no money). I have DH and Swanie and Cindy, of course, but it just doesn't feel like Christmas.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I have had several TCS members over to my house that can vouch for me including Mike and Amy which have already posted in this thread. I live right by LBJ and Midway so can easily be gotten to from anywhere. Where in Dallas do you live? The Londoner which is within one mile of my house opens at five tomorrow and has great English pub style food and ale. Somebody further down mentioned we should get together. I do speak Spanish but not Portuguese. And of course we are great cat lovers. It might be a good idea. I am slightly handicapped and am recovering from a back operation so canot drive too far (in my Porsche.) We could have TV dinners at mine or your house but perhaps something a little more glamourous could be thought of. I await your input. Warning: I am in my sixties but still have long blond natural hair. Besides, this is not anything but spend Christmas together as true cat lovers. You can stop by my house but only Persi will greet you, Alley will hide on the third floor. I am sure there are other places that are open earlier than five, all we would have to do is look.

So, spend a little time with a cat lover on Christmas or nobody. I feel like I already know you from your posts.
I LOVE IT!!!
I live in highland Park... Closest FWY would be the 75, exiting on Knox/Henderson... It seems like you are about 20 minutes away from me...
Whatever we do tomorrow, it needs to be cheap - the girl here is unemployed, so I am pretty broke
- But I certainly can drive, and TV dinner is fine - Pub is fine too, although it comes with a bill and that is not.

As for your house or my house... your house! - my house is a mess

So, wanna do it?
Have a mini orphan TCS X-mas?

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All my christmas are sad because I never had the pleasure to meet to someone from TCS in RL.....

But Guys this can handle it....

Merry Christmas Lee & Caro!,....
...from the bottom of my heart!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Warning: I am in my sixties but still have long blond natural hair. Besides, this is not anything but spend Christmas together as true cat lovers. You can stop by my house but only Persi will greet you, Alley will hide on the third floor. I am sure there are other places that are open earlier than five, all we would have to do is look.

It has been shown that a Porsche (casually mentioned above) can take 30 years off a man's age, as viewed by a young woman!

But I can attest that Lee is safe, a gentleman, a cat lover, and a great person to talk to.