The "romance" of Lord Wilson/Lady Harriet

belle8bete

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the situation/dynamic that is developing between LH and LW.

Both are fixed, btw.  Lord Wilson is just about a year, Lady Harriet is 1.5 years.  I adopted LW and August and I got LH around memorial day.  LW is social, but does not really understand how to act like a cat (he was syringe fed as a little baby because he was abandoned...he never had litter mates).  

LW clearly wants to play with LH, but often LH will hiss and stare LW down (pretty funny, actually, because LH is so much smaller).  LW will usually back away, but sometimes he doesn't get the memo and LH has to go hide.  Sometimes he pursues, but aside from some vocalization from LH and some batting from both (no claws extended) I haven't seen anything come of it.  I have tried to let them work it out themselves (except for when LH was really sick, I would sometimes keep her in a different room so she could get as much good rest as possible). 

Will LH ever realize that LW is just trying to play?  She is a very playful kitty, and LW has gotten better at playing with cat toys since he has observed her for a while.  Will LW find a way to approach LH without being the cat version of an awkward teenager with a crush?  Is there anything I can do to help this dynamic smooth out, or should I let them do the work? 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So, I'm guessing you didn't do any formal "cat introductions", like keeping them separated in the beginning and start out by just letting them smell each other via blankets or towels or anything like that? 

For what it's worth, here is an article on introducing new cats:  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

I've been reading lately that it even helps to just brush one cats on his or her head, shoulders or side, then without cleaning the brush, do the same thing to the other cat, which is another way of sharing their scent.  Then next time start with the other cat and do the same thing.  Do this several times a day.  You only need to do maybe 4 - 5 strokes with the brush. 

Some cats are easy to introduce to others, some aren't.  But eventually they will probably learn to get along.  I'd take it as a good sign that there hasn't been any bloodshed!  And if no actual growling even, that's a very good sign.  (my girl, who was the resident cat when the boys arrived, growled for 5 months before she finally accepted them
)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
LW is social, but does not really understand how to act like a cat (he was syringe fed as a little baby because he was abandoned...he never had litter mates).  
LW clearly wants to play with LH, but often LH will hiss and stare LW down (pretty funny, actually, because LH is so much smaller).  LW will usually back away, but sometimes he doesn't get the memo and LH has to go hide.  Sometimes he pursues, but aside from some vocalization from LH and some batting from both (no claws extended) I haven't seen anything come of it.  I have tried to let them work it out themselves (except for when LH was really sick, I would sometimes keep her in a different room so she could get as much good rest as possible). 

Will LH ever realize that LW is just trying to play?  She is a very playful kitty, and LW has gotten better at playing with cat toys since he has observed her for a while.  Will LW find a way to approach LH without being the cat version of an awkward teenager with a crush?  Is there anything I can do to help this dynamic smooth out, or should I let them do the work? 
I wonder, if they arent really playing already, although in a very awkward way.

Some chasing is one of the first playing together, for example.

The bold market party is almost as when our two residents play with each other.  They usually take stand on different niveus, either on our big scratching tree, or one on floor, the other on the back of the sofa, and bat mercilessly at each other with the paws. Apparently without claws out, as they never get hurt, even when we hadnt cut their nails for a while.

You can surely do the routine of scent swapping, esp this with brushing tip you got, but I think they are going on OK, it will surely be better and better with time.

You can also try and initiate plays yourself, ie YOU are playing so both of them can participate, making a trio of sorts, even if each plays primarily with you.

Good luck!

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too have an awkward male and a more normal female. When I introduced mine through the door Ava hissed and Frank just stood there confused. She also hissed when they were introduced in person and again frank just stood there. She was the one who initiated play by chasing him and they now chase each other around the house. You can try playing with them together but this doesn't really work for me as frank just likes to sit there and watch Ava play.

Something to watch out for is make sure LW is getting enough attention. Ava is a big attention suck and I was keeping her segregated from the rest of the house so she wouldn't get in trouble. I really think frank got sick because he thought I wasn't paying enough attention to him because he isn't good at seeking out attention like the kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belle8bete

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I did formal introductions.  First they only got to know one another under the door between rooms while I switched stuff around so they got used to each others scent.  Frank sounds a lot like LW.

LH does tend to growl at LW, but I'm not sure LW understands that it means "back off." 

LH has head butted LW on numerous occasions, as well, and they touch noses every now and then. 

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, They make us think. I am not expert, I think observation is important. A non socialized kitti has to caught-up with growth and develop skills. Others already have.
Your LW has both areas to master. I think it is quite expected for him to watch the new LH in this residence. High -Five to you for thinking so much about helping LW.the expect say( Give your first kittie much love when the new one is around). LW. Is learning at an alarming rate. He may get a little exhausted. Give him rest periods.
Our resident is very social. But, new non-socialized wildy (Awssul) after proper intro still needs rest period to enternalize all incoming tactile, audio,visual data , process it and then implement new skills. Such as
Cat response=. Cat messages
Etc.

belle8bete

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So this is how we are faring now....it's groom groom groom.  

LH is on top of the box fort that my boyfriend built when I first got LW.  He is actually constructing a proper "CAT CASTLE" with dungeon tunnels and everything.  

The little criss cross scratcher is something I just got as a "happy early birthday LW/welcome back LH" gift for the fuzzbutts. 

belle8bete

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Solutions...

I'm not sure if anyone cares about the update, but in case you do...

I shifted the litter boxes so that LW cannot "ambush" LH.  I also put one litter box in my room, along with a bowl of water, so I can quickly close off the room.  LH seems to want to me in the bed with me at night, while LW wants to be crazy cat (he stopped sleeping in my room consistently about a month or so before I got LH).  

Also, I am making sure that LW doesn't just sleep ALLL day.  Perhaps syncing up their sleep cycles will help LH and LW smooth things out.  Things have been pretty good today so far.  Bedtime will be the real test. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Updates are always good.  Glad things went smoothly today.  

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad things are improving! LW really does sound like frank he also roams around at night while Ava sleeps right beside me all night. Hopefully LH will start wanting to play with LW now she is feeling better! Something to think about is catnip. I got mine a catnip toy today which sparked an epic play fight.

belle8bete

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, LH does like catnip more than LW.  I have an old sock filled with catnip.  

Has anyone had success with catnip plants?  I have catgrass growing already. 

It really tickles me to look over and see them both grooming themselves in front of the window.  She stays on top of the box fort and he stays on that criss cross thing.