The Petsmart Cat!

Cathi b

Mia and Phoeb’e
Kitten
Purraise
I am beside myself with this one! I already have posted about the deaf, possibly pregnant, feral cat. But I also have a cat that someone left in the entry of petsmart in a carrier. Petsmart employees are not allowed to bring an animal left into their store. I could not just leave this cat there. When I asked the cashier about the cat they said they will have to set it outside at their closing. So..sight unseen I grabbed the carrier and went home. I took the cat to the vet the next day, but they said with it being semi feral, they would not inflict more stress and for me to take home and try to befriend it, then bring it back in. Gave me dewormer, and since I have tried for at least 3 hours a day to do this. Not working! It is not normal for #1 a feral cat to not have a reaction to being caged, #2. I know something is not right with this cat. Seems much better than when I found it, but not normal to be ok with little activity. I do take it in my back yard, cage and all (large dog wire crate). But no progress. I am at a loss with this one. Thanks for any help you have to offer.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I'm sorry, I'm having trouble.
You're saying the cat isn't moving because you're wondering if it's unable to due to being sick or injured, or you're thinking it's not moving because it's not afraid, and therefore not feral?

What gave the vet the impression it is semi feral? What progress isn't working, -- the dewormer? Is it a spot-on type, or a pill?

It sounds as though you might be more stressed than this kitty?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. One just wants to choke the crap out of a person who would leave this cat behind like that. But, I am sure they were hoping someone - like you - would come along to its rescue. As Furballsmom Furballsmom asked, what kind of dewormer, and why are you having an issue with it?

Have you been able to bond with it at least a little bit - like with treats for example? Do you have an enclosed patio that you could allow it to roam around in a little?

Can you call around to other vets, or rescue centers, to see if someone would be willing to take a look at this cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cathi b

Mia and Phoeb’e
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. One just wants to choke the crap out of a person who would leave this cat behind like that. But, I am sure they were hoping someone - like you - would come along to its rescue. As Furballsmom Furballsmom asked, what kind of dewormer, and why are you having an issue with it?

Have you been able to bond with it at least a little bit - like with treats for example? Do you have an enclosed patio that you could allow it to roam around in a little?

Can you call around to other vets, or rescue centers, to see if someone would be willing to take a look at this cat?
I have called other vets and they all have said the same thing up here. I have done everything aside from putting her in my studio where I spend a lot of time, but this is the next step. I guess what I am not understanding is the fact that she isn’t bothered like a feral cat would be by being in a 70”x 45” cage. She (I don’t know the sex) will smell my hand when put it up to her (through the bars) but backs to the back when I try to have her smell me and the door is open. That is as far as I have gotten with her. I spend a lot of time and have even slept on the floor next to the cage. I am so shocked that any cat would be ok and not go crazy in a cage. I am not scared, as a matter a fact I open the door all the way to feed and fill her water bowl. I am stressed!! Between this one and the deaf feral in/out of garage that I believe is pregnant. I am crazy stressed. I just want to know that she is not hurting or sick. Thank you for trying to help, I so appreciate anything.

Cathi b

Mia and Phoeb’e
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I'm sorry, I'm having trouble.
You're saying the cat isn't moving because you're wondering if it's unable to due to being sick or injured, or you're thinking it's not moving because it's not afraid, and therefore not feral?

What gave the vet the impression it is semi feral? What progress isn't working, -- the dewormer? Is it a spot-on type, or a pill?

It sounds as though you might be more stressed than this kitty?
The dewormer was liquid, not a problem, just put it in her food . I am worried that the cat is in pain or is sick. She is still hissing and growling every time I go in to see her. She will do this on and off pretty much the whole 3/4 hours I am in there if I move. She will smell me through the cage but when I open the door I could sit there till my hair turns grey and she will not come close to me. I was unsure of her status when I took her to the vet, I didn’t want anyone hurt, or for her to bolt. He tried to get close to her and she allowed it until he got about 6” from her and she started hissing and growling. I am stressed! I want to do what’s right for these babies, and I always give 100% but this one’s been extremely hard. Thank you for your efforts, I’m sure I sounded like a crazy woman and made little to no sense.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Can you get one of these vets to give you a calming product so this poor cat can be taken care of?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
sounds as if she has been abused.. severely, and just dumped...

Is there a humane society affiliated with this PetSmart? I volunteer for a HS which takes care of the cats, in the adoption area.

Are there any local shelters you can contact, to take the cat in?

I can see PS not taking the cat in; but to just leave it out there, ignoring it, is really bad... I would sound out the manager there... and also write a complaint letter to the company.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What if you tell vets, rescues, etc. that the cat appears to have been abused and not a stray? In this case, I am NOT opposed to lying, such as saying you saw someone set down the cage and you thought they were just heading back to their because they forget their wallet or something and that when you came out of the store, the cat was there, but no owner.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
All the rescues, shelters, Vets I have been associated with and know about, always take in any abandoned cat..

That is just what they do... they take them in... to help them...

Have you tried saying that you just found the cat in the carrier.... and are not allowed to have cats.. you cannot take care of it.. You want it to be someplace, with people who WILL take care of it..

Most shelters/rescues willingly take in any cats people do not want. They would rather see them in a warm environment, then being out on the street.. That is the definition of a 'rescue'....

Cathi b

Mia and Phoeb’e
Kitten
Purraise
sounds as if she has been abused.. severely, and just dumped...

Is there a humane society affiliated with this PetSmart? I volunteer for a HS which takes care of the cats, in the adoption area.

Are there any local shelters you can contact, to take the cat in?

I can see PS not taking the cat in; but to just leave it out there, ignoring it, is really bad... I would sound out the manager there... and also write a complaint letter to the company.
I agree! Seems this is probably the case. I contacted the manager of the store and got same response. So I have emailed/snail mailed and called and left messages at the corporate office. As for shelters, our animal control in this area is worthless and I wouldn’t take a dead animal to them, as for humane society, I will do that today and thank you for that. I will post when I hear back from petsmart. I was shocked at the “oh well” response I got from employee and manager!

Cathi b

Mia and Phoeb’e
Kitten
Purraise
All the rescues, shelters, Vets I have been associated with and know about, always take in any abandoned cat..

That is just what they do... they take them in... to help them...

Have you tried saying that you just found the cat in the carrier.... and are not allowed to have cats.. you cannot take care of it.. You want it to be someplace, with people who WILL take care of it..

Most shelters/rescues willingly take in any cats people do not want. They would rather see them in a warm environment, then being out on the street.. That is the definition of a 'rescue'....
Oh I know about rescues because I network with them everyday. My area is so full of cats and dogs that they all know I won’t put this cat out and feel I got this. As for taking it somewhere and telling them what happened and telling them I can’t have cats, all of the rescues know me and our ac will put the cat down because it is not friendly. Catch 22 here. Talking to people in rescues and am doing all they tell me, but to be honest I have done it all once before. I have taken in animals for 30 years and also have worked with many feral cats (at least 20/30), this one has me stumped. I believe it will come around, I know it takes time, but I just don’t want for the cat to be in pain or il. Thank you for your help.

Cathi b

Mia and Phoeb’e
Kitten
Purraise
Can you get one of these vets to give you a calming product so this poor cat can be taken care of?
I have one, now just to get it on! She is not allowing me to touch her. This cat is being taken care of. I spend 2/4 hours a day working with this cat. She is in a home where she will be safe I promise.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I meant taken care of by a vet, I'm sorry, I wasn't clear.

What did they provide you to help calm the cat? Do you have a vet appointment that you'll be making after you give the cat the calming product? Can you obtain a treat-type of calming product from them that you can mix in her food?

Your area vets are confusing to me, since they're that she needs to be be-friended by you first and don't want to see her until then. That seems like an odd thing to say, since that is no guarantee whatsoever that she'll be calm and friendly in the vets office, if that's what they are concerned about.

Cathi b

Mia and Phoeb’e
Kitten
Purraise
I meant taken care of by a vet, I'm sorry, I wasn't clear.

What did they provide you to help calm the cat? Do you have a vet appointment that you'll be making after you give the cat the calming product? Can you obtain a treat-type of calming product from them that you can mix in her food?

Your area vets are confusing to me, since they're that she needs to be be-friended by you first and don't want to see her until then. That seems like an odd thing to say, since that is no guarantee whatsoever that she'll be calm and friendly in the vets office, if that's what they are concerned about.
I honestly thought so also, but this vet has been so wonderful with all of the others. He said “first do no harm”, he didn’t want to stress the cat more. I am going to call Monday and tell him I just need the cat checked out. It has to be done. We will stress the cat but I haven’t met a cat that likes the vet. I will make an appt. then. I will also ask to get a calming product I can give before taking her. Thanks again for your help. Tried the vest, not having it. I am bound and determined to someday soon be able to find this cat a great home. Again thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
You are doing a terrific job, hang in there! We're rooting for you, let us know how things go :vibes::crossfingers: .:heartshape:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who is still semi-feral even though she's been in my home for five years. You just need to tell the vet when you set the appointment that your cat will need to be sedated for the exam and lab work. They will unscrew the carrier and pull the top off and give her an injection to sedate her. Afterwards, they will offer to give her another injection to rouse her, and I suggest you do this because otherwise she could be knocked out all day.

When you attempt to get her into the carrier for the vet visit, be sure and wear thick gloves and long sleeves to avoid being badly bitten or scratched. I can't emphasize enough how important this is. If you get bitten and need to go to a medical clinic, they may insist you have the cat quarantined. Best to avoid this scenario altogether and be safe. Also use a towel to grab her.

Feral cats behave in different ways when confined. Some panic and thrash around, followed by periods of resignation. Others go into a "feral freeze" and don't respond at all because of fear. But you do need to rule out medical illness. Has she been spayed? If there's a chance you're going to keep her or find a home for her, she should be spayed.

Remember when you call the vets office tomorrow to set the appointment to be confident. Tell them, don't ask, that you need an appointment for the cat and that she will need to be sedated. If they decline, call another vet.

Good luck and thanks for caring for this cat. I hope she is okay.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always remember that you are paying for the vet service they are not doing it as a favor to you or the cat. It's the same as when you see a doctor. When they see your cat is determined by you, not them.