The Oops I Forgot Again Question Of The Day For Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry guys, and I was doing SO well, but I had a rough couple of days. I post these on Tuesday evenings, just after midnight (ok, early Wednesdays), and I was just WIPED OUT! It never occured to me until today that I never posted it.

What is your favorite type of music?

That's another one that is really hard for me, because I like so many, but if I had to choose, I think it might be New Age. I find it incredibly relaxing and easy to listen to for long periods of time...although...some of it does tend to put me to sleep! Second favorite? Don't laugh. Gregorian chant and plainsong.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I can't narrow it down to one specific type of music, it's runs the gamut. I like everything from Motown, to the Oldies, to Opera. However, since taking Zumba I have a new found fondness for Latin music.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends what I'm looking for. Relaxation? New Age. Pure beauty? Classical guitar. Something to keep me awake without making me jittery? Smooth Jazz.

But my first love is filk. Filk music - Wikipedia

Margret

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My music tastes are eclectic. I love classic soul and R&B (Sam Cooke, Al Green, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Bill Withers), jazz from before 1960, well anything from before 1960 (Frank Sinatra, Billie Holiday), 90s country (it's what I grew up with), and some more recent stuff from She & Him and some others that I can't think of at the moment.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We forgive you, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . I like New Age, too, and play a lot of it on the Music Choice channel. If the cats are too rambunctious, New Age calms them right down. But I also like folk music and that ol' rock and roll.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks! Yep, I like folk, classic rock, and a whole host of others, as well!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It depends what I'm looking for. Relaxation? New Age. Pure beauty? Classical guitar. Something to keep me awake without making me jittery? Smooth Jazz.

But my first love is filk. Filk music - Wikipedia

Margret
Well, I didn't even think of filk, mostly because I've heard so many filks that run the gamut of genres...I almost consider that more of an art form than a genre of music.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I didn't even think of filk, mostly because I've heard so many filks that run the gamut of genres...I almost consider that more of an art form than a genre of music.
That's one of the things I like about filk. Basically, we define it thusly: "If a filker wishes to perform it, it's filk." There are filks about politics, apolitical current events, favorite books and films, space flight, historical events, technology, science, filks written to memorialize writers and beloved performers who have died, love songs to planet earth, and, oh, yes, the dirtiest song I've ever heard was a filk - a close parody of a sticky-sweet filk song about The Velveteen Rabbit. I once met a filker who had as his stated goal writing a song about Cthulhu to the tune of each Abba song; to the best of my knowledge he hasn't succeeded - yet - (largely because he got distracted by silly things like his day job), but he's come extremely close. And, by the way, Tom Lehrer presumably didn't know it when he was writing his wonderful songs, but they're all filk songs.

Filk encompasses songs that are silly, hilarious, thoughtful, gorgeous, ineffably sad, and gloriously joyful.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Prince, who doesn't fall into any one category.
"When Doves Cry" always gives me chills!

Margret Margret , the Pagan community is FULL of filks and filkers, as well. I believe we already discussed "Old Time Religion," and its thousands of verses and iterations! This verse is probably the most fitting for TCS:

We will worship feline Bast,
Though we know she's sort of fast,
Pass the 'nip and raise the glass,
She's sure good enough for me.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Korean pop music the most; but I'm also a big fan of classical (Chopin, Debussy and Tchaikovsky are my favourite composers) and jazz music.

My favourite Kpop band; BTS's Spring Day (my favourite song from them):

EXO Universe

Day6 Congratulations

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Margret Margret , the Pagan community is FULL of filks and filkers, as well. I believe we already discussed "Old Time Religion," and its thousands of verses and iterations! This verse is probably the most fitting for TCS:

We will worship feline Bast,
Though we know she's sort of fast,
Pass the 'nip and raise the glass,
She's sure good enough for me.
There is no such thing as a complete listing of "Old Time Religion"; not only is it too long, as fast as someone made the list somebody else would come up with a new verse.

My favorite quasi-pagan filk is to "The Ride of the Valkyrie":

We fly through the night skies,
Picking up dead guys,
Flashing our fat thighs,
You call this a job?!

I'll take the blonde guy; you get the redhead.
Wait! He's not dead yet!
Oh. Let him go.
Splat!
No one is certain who wrote it, but the late great Jordin Kare Jordin Kare - Fancyclopedia 3) always seemed to smile in a proprietary way whenever he heard someone sing it...

Margret

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Kirtan (truly). I sing it myself, have a monthly group and listen to it.
This is an oldie, with a combination of traditional Bhajan (at the beginning) and then a respectful western kirtan.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
~firmly squelches her sudden urge to spend her entire next SS check on exploring unfamiliar genres of music~

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like blue grass gospel. I really like Vince Gill, Rhonda Vincent, Daley and Vincent. My favorite though is Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver.