The on/off cat

molly_the_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I'm new and registered in the hope that the community can provide some insight or suggestions for a cat behavior issue.

My wife and I have a cat, Molly, who is about 2 years old. We have no kids and no other pets. I work at home about 1/2 the time and my wife works outside the house. THis is our first cat, and we've had her for a while now.

Molly is the perfect cat--never scratches or bits, no clawing the furniture, always uses the litter box, quiet. Here's the thing--whenever my wife is in the house, Molly "shuts down" and just sits in her bed, staring at us, and will not leave her bed unless we pick her up. As soon as my wife is out the door, Molly wants to play--she plays fetch with an earplug, follows me around, plays with her toys, wants me to scratch her belly, and generally acts like a cat. The weird thing is, my wife feeds her in the morning, and Molly is all friendly--lots of purring, rubbing against her legs, etc. But fifteen minutes later, if my wife is still in the house, Molly shuts down again.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you!
Doug

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by molly_the_cat

Hi everyone, I'm new and registered in the hope that the community can provide some insight or suggestions for a cat behavior issue.

My wife and I have a cat, Molly, who is about 2 years old. We have no kids and no other pets. I work at home about 1/2 the time and my wife works outside the house. THis is our first cat, and we've had her for a while now.

Molly is the perfect cat--never scratches or bits, no clawing the furniture, always uses the litter box, quiet. Here's the thing--whenever my wife is in the house, Molly "shuts down" and just sits in her bed, staring at us, and will not leave her bed unless we pick her up. As soon as my wife is out the door, Molly wants to play--she plays fetch with an earplug, follows me around, plays with her toys, wants me to scratch her belly, and generally acts like a cat. The weird thing is, my wife feeds her in the morning, and Molly is all friendly--lots of purring, rubbing against her legs, etc. But fifteen minutes later, if my wife is still in the house, Molly shuts down again.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you!
Doug
Hey Doug....I'm not a behaviorist....but it sounds like Molly is all about you. I have a female cat as well and if there is a male in the house...she is all over him, wanting to play. Although she is friendlly with me, she tends to be much more playful and friendly with men. It's just an idea.

Katie

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also agree that this cat is all about you. Molly just likes you lots, and when your wife is there, Molly knows to back off.

I would only suggest that your wife maybe play with the kitty a lot more, and do all of the feeding, and litterbox changing, and brush the kitty out. Just make it so the wife and kitty are more one on one.

Then I bet you can make it so Molly and your wife are better friends, and you can all live happily ever after.

Also maybe Molly is afraid of your wife. When I first adopted my cat, whenever I swept the floor, he would hide for a day or two. And when he came out he would not be very fond of me. I think his previous owners may have took a broom to him to scare him off or something. But with a little love, and lots of play, he learned to love me AND the broom. He likes being "brushed" with the broom now.
Good luck

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our Clio loves my husband more than me, she gives me lots of love and attention when he's away, but as soon as he comes home, she's his girl.

she plays fetch with an earplug,
Be careful with this, I know of a cat that had an obstructed bowel because of a swallowed ear plug. It was a soft foam one that swelled to a much larger size. I sometimes come home with earplugs in my pocket from work, and would put them on a counter. No more.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Doug! I agree with others, Molly is all about being your cat. There are 2 females that live with me that are all about my husband. He tells me things that they do on a regular basis with him that I've never witnessed. Then I have the majority of the males doing things with me that my husband doesn't see.

Some cats are just particular about their "people".

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a question - what does Molly do when JUST your wife is there?

It sounds like she has you well trained!!! She knows the routine and may just be waiting for play time to happen after your wife leaves. But most cats have that "one person" whom they love to be around.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the above posts. Since you're home more of the time, it sounds like Molly has bonded with you. They'll often take on different behaviors with different people. One of the kittens I placed last year plays like a demon with his mommy, and lounges on the couch & watches sports with his daddy. His mom is jealous 'cause she doesn't get the snuggles.

Molly sounds like a wonderful girl all around though! Congratulations on having such a wonderful girl!

Maybe you need to add a boy to the mix...maybe he'll bond with your wife & be the proper "mama's boy"