The ol' peanut butter hairball treatment... and some odd results

uzuri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I discovered the PB treatment this fall. Worked like a charm, except for one problem--Honey suddenly became a very greasy cat.

Anyone else ever see this? I'm guessing that Honey must have been pretty oily to begin with, and like a teenager eating too much chocolate, the PB resulted in more skin oils. Frankly, she got to the point where she was disgusting to be around. But the hairballs stopped

Punkin meanwhile, looked like a dream. I guess he doesn't normally produce enough oils.

She's off the PB now three weeks and her fur's back to normal, though I have some oil mattes that I'm still working on getting out.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's interesting. I've never heard of giving PB for hairballs. Did you read this somewhere or did you just come up with it on your own?

How much were you giving? Doesn't PB have a fair bit of salt, and FAT in it? I think I'd be afraid to give that much fat, could put at risk for pancreatitis?

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think that would be a good remedy, the salt content alone could affect them, never mind the fat and the sugar. Either shop bought remedies, or petroleum jelly is much better, and doesn't have teh nasty side effects you have found

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've read that canned (pure) pumpkin in a very small quantity over a few days can also help with hairballs or act as a preventative. It's what I use. The key is a small amount or your cat can get the runs. Or become constipated since pumpkin is high in fiber.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give my cats good old fashioned "Vaseline Petroleum Jelly" for hairballs. It's non toxic and tasteless and works like a charm, even for finicky cats like Abby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

uzuri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They'll eat petroleum jelly? Eurgh. If I can get mine to eat that, I might try it on them. Somehow I think they'll think they're being cheated, though; they really had a thing for the PB.

I'd heard of it from someone in RL at one point, then went looking around on the internet for it to see what I could find out about it. Mostly just a recommendation to use it and very little else. They only got a little tiny bit every other day. I'll have to ask the vet what his thought are when I go in in February.

I've heard the pumpkin thing, too, though it's difficult to store once open (and bloody expensive, which is also why I didn't mess with the store-bought treatment stuff. I'm sorry, I'm not paying a dollar a dose, Krogers), which is why I tried the PB instead.

A friend did suggest using an organic PB, which would probably be better in a number of ways. Never knew that PB was high sodium. Learn something new every day.

I'm not finding much on pancreatitis in cats other than they hide it well. I'm curious if anyone has details on that?

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The fact that your kitty developed a greasy coat would say to me that the PB remedy for furballs isn't a good idea.

Here's some info on high fat diet and risk for pancreatitis....including info that even a "single" high fat meal can put at risk for pancreatitis:

http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/cpancrea.html

"High fat diets, especially in combination with low protein intake, appear to contribute to the development of pancreatitis. A single high fat meal may cause pancreatitis in a pet whose normal diet is moderate or low in fat. We see an increase in cases of pancreatitis around Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter almost every year, presumably due to the ingestion of high fat leftovers from the big meals associated with these holidays."

PB is loaded with fat. I simply wouldn't risk it.

There are different kinds of furball treatments out there (in the tube)....usually stores like PetsMart (etc) carry a few different brands. Some cats like one more than others. Of my 5 cats, 3 love them all......they'll lick it furiously right off the end of the tube.......the other 2, not interested..........so if they do need it, I squirt an inch of it onto my finger, hold kitty down and put into the side of his mouth...and continue to give as directed on the tube.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm curious about this "high fat" issue because I've seen recommendations to give cats butter or olive oil to prevent hairballs. Neither of my cats had any interest in either. My own boy loves peanut butter (I buy natural with no added fat), but the amount that he licks from my finger is so tiny (and I give it to him so rarely) that I doubt it can do any harm.

What he really loves is almond oil. I use it on my face as a moisturizer at night, and when he smells it, he wants to lick my face. I've let him do that occasionally. Again, the amount is very small. There have been no hairballs and his coat is lovely--not at all greasy.

I certainly think too much fat would be bad for a cat, but neither of my cats has had any interest in fatty things beyond a tiny amount.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

uzuri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for that info.

It looks as though Honey escaped anything worse than a bad hair day for now, as I'm not seeing the mentioned symptoms (edit: meaning that she's healthy and eating like a horse, since there really aren't symptoms besides being a bit "off".). I guess when things start getting hairy (ha!) again, I'll try the petroleum jelly, and if that doesn't work, the canned pumpkin -- we grow pie pumpkins, so I'll can my own in small jars so that they've got something nice and organic but also easy to store. I'm not going to be ripped off at the pet stores buying the treatments, though; the prices are absolutely ridiculous ($10 for a 9 dose tube around here). Almost as bad a human medicines
They sure know where they can stick you. They do get hairball treatment food, at least, which doesn't seem to really do anything.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be interested in the Petroleum Jelly too - do they actually eat it or do you have to put some on your finger and open their mouth and get kitty teeth on your fingers?

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put it on their paws, but it depends on teh cat - mine wont take KAtalax from the tube, but I have had previous cats who have happily taken things like that.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how much do you give them? It also makes me curious, since petroleum Jelly is an oil; basically mineral oil... how is that better than PB? And what does it do to them? it prevents hairballs, they don't vomit... Sorry for the questions - I never seen this before... By giving them this, I will not have hairball episodes?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

how much do you give them? It also makes me curious, since petroleum Jelly is an oil; basically mineral oil... how is that better than PB? And what does it do to them? it prevents hairballs, they don't vomit... Sorry for the questions - I never seen this before... By giving them this, I will not have hairball episodes?
mineral oil is not digested by the cats body for one goes in and comes out.. I personally dont use it but I have if a cat would not take butter ... most hair ball lubes state about 1/2 to 1 inch

My issue with peanut butter is its stickiness and the likelihood of coking or the cat getting a tiny amount stuck

hairball treatments send excess hair into the litter box