The Official TCS Babbling Games - Contest Now Open!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes , naps are awesome, but only the kind that you can take like for one hour and then wake up fully refreshed.  I usually cannot fall asleep on command but only when very tired,  and sometimes I lay down to nap, but then get up after 30minutes feeling semi-refreshed.

Does anyone here fall asleep on the couch?   When they wake up they think they are in bed?

I go up to bed, then change into pj's and am wide awake for another two hours.  Maybe the couch has special cushions which my bed lacks.

I fall asleep on the couch every night.  I have for years!  Mooch sleeps on my stomach or hip and Noodles is either at my head or by my feet.  They don't get to sleep in the bedroom with us; so I guess I divide my night between my cats and my husband?  LOL  It's not really intentional.  I started that because I fall asleep faster when I'm in front of the TV.  Even if it's just something like The Weather Channel. Nothing heavy!  I usually sleep like that for a few hours and then stumble to bed.  If I go straight to bed I end up having to wait about an hour for my mind to wind down enough for me to sleep.  I've been like that since I was a kid.  DH doesn't like noise or light so TV or reading in bed are out of the question pretty much. 

I think that is amazing, when a mom teaches her son to cook as well as her daughter, because it can only help them in later life, not to have to rely on someone else for a good meal.  I applaud that.
I intend to do this with my son!  He doesn't have to love it; but I want him to be comfortable enough in the kitchen.  I also think boys should know how to do some basic sewing; buttons and things like that.  I suppose that means I should make sure DD learns to change the oil on a car too.  At the least she will need to learn to change a flat tire.

the1who feedsus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yup.. i am a proud proud mommy.  my boy can cook, sew( he makes his own pjs). he plays violin (electric and regular) he taight himself how to play guitar, keyboards, ocarina,, harmonica, he writes music. hes in his second year in university and works at 2 p/t jobs. i have anxiety issues and often cant leave my apt. sometimes its so bad i cant leave my room. he does laundry, groceries, so i don't complain if he doesn't pick up his socks or turn off the lights lol. my daughter is beautiful, draws, cooks amazing food( except rice). she works for a construction company in hte office, but often goes out on the site and helps. shes funny and sweet and im very grateful for them. my girl Nathalie and i have matching tattoos of chickens paw print lol. he has 7 toes on one foot and 6 on the other. for mothers  day im getting the other furballs pawprints tattoed. i got Opals when she was 5months.  ill also add two paw prints inside little hearts for the two precious furrys we lost. Shadow and Broulliard.( pronounced brew yard).

and im sorry about the double post lol. soon as i posted it i thought RATS.... i get so excited sharing all this stuff lol..i will most definitely take care. oh and from waaaay back in the threads lol...in the next day or 2 im getting use of Nicks old smartphone. good camera and wifi and all that...so im going to do my best to catch Opal licking her lips while yawning and post it lol. also going to try and get my Nat to send the clip of Chicken saying "please" and "love you".

pennywise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

and im sorry about the double post lol. soon as i posted it i thought RATS.... i get so excited sharing all this stuff lol..i will most definitely take care. oh and from waaaay back in the threads lol...in the next day or 2 im getting use of Nicks old smartphone. good camera and wifi and all that...so im going to do my best to catch Opal licking her lips while yawning and post it lol. also going to try and get my Nat to send the clip of Chicken saying "please" and "love you".
Me too.  Sometimes I want to share so much, I'm not even sure I'm using proper grammar half of the time (truly, I'm babbling)

I can't wait to see!  Licking her lips while yawning!  How did you come up with the name Chicken (I apologize if you've already shared.  Sometimes I miss so many posts while I'm at work, I try to get caught up, but I'm certain I'm missing things)

goldeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Got a call back from the vet. They said they didnt see any signs of a uti from her urine sample which means she peed on my stuff as a behavioral problem. She said that it could be because of the diarrhea getting to her and if she keeps peeing outside the box after the diarrhea clears up then i should call her back. I did change her litter though just in case its because she wanted fresh litter.  Looks like she lost a little weight too. She was 10.6 lbs now she's 9

pennywise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@GoldEye   I'm sorry to hear of all the troubles your little one is having.  I'm glad she doesn't have a UTI though.

About 10 years ago, I had moved out of a house I was sharing with a roommate and into my own place.  In the house, my two cats had another cat for a housemate.  Obviously the third cat was left with her owner.  The first night in our new place, I turned the lights off, crawled into bed and settled in for a well earned rest.  As soon as the room was quiet, Eopie jumped on the bed and peed, right near my feet.  She'd never peed anywhere other than the litter box ever before or ever since.  I think it was 100% a behavioral issue. And it made sense: the move, losing her "sister".  I understood. (and I felt sooooo guilty)

Maybe her GI/GU issues are stress related?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I fall asleep on the couch every night.  I have for years!  Mooch sleeps on my stomach or hip and Noodles is either at my head or by my feet.  They don't get to sleep in the bedroom with us; so I guess I divide my night between my cats and my husband?  LOL  It's not really intentional.  I started that because I fall asleep faster when I'm in front of the TV.  Even if it's just something like The Weather Channel. Nothing heavy!  I usually sleep like that for a few hours and then stumble to bed.  If I go straight to bed I end up having to wait about an hour for my mind to wind down enough for me to sleep.  I've been like that since I was a kid.  DH doesn't like noise or light so TV or reading in bed are out of the question pretty much. 

I think that is amazing, when a mom teaches her son to cook as well as her daughter, because it can only help them in later life, not to have to rely on someone else for a good meal.  I applaud that.
I intend to do this with my son!  He doesn't have to love it; but I want him to be comfortable enough in the kitchen.  I also think boys should know how to do some basic sewing; buttons and things like that.  I suppose that means I should make sure DD learns to change the oil on a car too.  At the least she will need to learn to change a flat tire.
Now I do not feel so foolish when I fall asleep on the couch.  Its not the noise that I need because I turn everything off, I just thought I was lazy to make it to the bedroom. Okay,sometimes the lights are on, because I wanted that "clapper" gadget to turn lights off, but it was too expensive.

@MoochNNoodles....I forgot about the sewing skills.  One of my old co-workers said he learned sewing in Scouts or something, he could sew better than any of us.

Yes, if your DD wants to do car repair, than why not. Atleast to know how to do it once, and the tire change thing is still useful even if you do have AA or CAA.

yup.. i am a proud proud mommy.  my boy can cook, sew( he makes his own pjs). he plays violin (electric and regular) he taight himself how to play guitar, keyboards, ocarina,, harmonica, he writes music. hes in his second year in university and works at 2 p/t jobs. i have anxiety issues and often cant leave my apt. sometimes its so bad i cant leave my room. he does laundry, groceries, so i don't complain if he doesn't pick up his socks or turn off the lights lol. my daughter is beautiful, draws, cooks amazing food( except rice). she works for a construction company in hte office, but often goes out on the site and helps. shes funny and sweet and im very grateful for them. my girl Nathalie and i have matching tattoos of chickens paw print lol. he has 7 toes on one foot and 6 on the other. for mothers  day im getting the other furballs pawprints tattoed. i got Opals when she was 5months.  ill also add two paw prints inside little hearts for the two precious furrys we lost. Shadow and Broulliard.( pronounced brew yard).

Sounds like you raised them well.  My friends sometimes worry about their teenagers and the crowd they hang out with, but for the most part they do okay in school.  I hope your anxiety can respond to the various medications and treatments that are out there.  I had it bad when I was in my 20's but only with panic attacks and still could go outside, so it was not as bad as yours maybe.

Is Chicken a cat?

Me too.  Sometimes I want to share so much, I'm not even sure I'm using proper grammar half of the time (truly, I'm babbling)

I can't wait to see!  Licking her lips while yawning!  How did you come up with the name Chicken (I apologize if you've already shared.  Sometimes I miss so many posts while I'm at work, I try to get caught up, but I'm certain I'm missing things)
LOL, your grammar is perfect.  Whoever even made up that rule is probably an English Teacher or something.  I throw in commas, here and there,  run on sentences, spelling errors....and sometimes I have to look up certain spellings.   It's just fun to babble.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@the1who feedsus; funny...my cousin Nick is also an amazing cook.  His wife doesn't cook; he does it all! 
  Maybe it's the name? 
   I don't think there are any bad cooks on that side of my family.  Everyone seems to have their own specialty.  Even my Grandpa is really good!  After my Gram went into a nursing home he took up baking too.  Of course all of us kids spent time in the kitchen with our parents and Grandparents. And in the woodshop.  I'm not sure if my 2 male cousins ever did sewing with Grandma.  I'll have to ask!

@GoldEye; I hope it's a one time thing.  Maybe she was trying to say "I don't feel good! Help me!" 

@cat nap; I would like them to learn these things even if they don't like them.  It's good to be able to do things for yourself.  When it came to car issues; I just called my step-dad.  DH isn't so much into cars.  I will admit; I don't know how to change the oil in a car.  But I learned how to change a tire in a walmart parking lot during college when a friend ran over a nail.  An elderly couple sat in their car and watched us for a looong time as we struggled to get the nuts off the tire.  Thank the Lord her tire jack came with written instructions or we'd not have gotten as far as we did!  Some young guy saw us struggling and came over and showed us how to loosen the nuts.  We did ok after that.  Memories.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents did divorce when I was 7, then I lived with father, can't remember that he had done any cooking ever, I ate bread for most of my childhood then as I had no understanding of how to cook and no power nor the money to buy supplies for the better.

I got lot of orders and demands though, like from example moldy cheese was ok to eat if one picks out moldy spots, also quite non surprisingly I was quite sick at times too.

So one might say that I had not the best childhood. Still tens years after he attempts to order me around, but I'm pretty much broken all connections with him by now. Some things are just too hard to forgive I guess.

One can't choose their parents. Well at least I was not beaten, but not much else either. That has made me then firmly believing that there are actually people out there whom never should have kids.

Thanks to Internet, I can now cook somewhat and do many things that were not allowed before, but there are many things I can't do as for me it was forbidden to have/gain friends that my father did not know before hand for example.

He did also smoke indoors, never opened a window and rubbish covered all floors so it was hard to move as he never did clean up and I was not allowed to touch 'his' stuff which were most of the stuff of course. As I think those times now, it was more of a torture and imprisonment than childhood. Best bits were when he did disappear for few weeks, without any warning, even though I had to beg food from neighbors then, which he yelled at me afterwards.

Because of those experiences I have never been able to form a family and probably never will, so even he did cause me to born, he kind of rob me big part of my life.

You lot have been so very lucky, much more than many know and I can read how good parents you are too :)

I used to fell on sleep at hotel room using my laptop as a pillow when working late evenings to nights to prepare next day, I have had so many times that working until falling that I got used to take laptop to bed with me, much better than sleeping on chair.

Only times I have slept on cough must of been those when Miuku and Mouku were kittens, cough was in their room so I slept there so that they can get used to me. They were about 1 year old ferals back then whom I needed to socialize. It was really a sweet how they emerged very cautiously from their hideouts and silently did go to litter box and attempted to cover their business without making sound, then run quickly to hide again.

Slowly curiosity got better of them, there was a curtain separating place for bed where they hid, they got peeks below that and came slowly bit closer and closer to curtain.

It took days and days until they started to explore around, I kept one hand so that it was extended bit outside the sofa, first times they came to sniff was when I was sleeping, I woke up as something had just touched my finger and saw them running to hide again.

But during few months of sleeping in the cough got them eventually see that even big, that monster is not a monster that is going to eat them and they even started to play with me and allowed little bit of petting too. Eventually one learned that sleeping on top of my legs is his best sleeping place, but I think that took over a year.

However sleeping on cough I think was a crucial step for gaining their trust.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning!

A recipe box for each child is a great idea (and maybe a rice cooker for Christmas or a birthday). Only one of our nieces and nephews can cook (1 out of 6), and he's a chef.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sorry to read your story, @JTbo   A lot of us have had crappy childhood experiences but still have managed to put together lives for ourselves.  Please don't let your early experiences rob you of the rest of your life!  So glad you do have kitties to share your life with.  

furlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning!

A recipe box for each child is a great idea (and maybe a rice cooker for Christmas or a birthday). Only one of our nieces and nephews can cook (1 out of 6), and he's a chef.
 We don't have any (human) kids, but DH and I put together a scrapbook/cookbook for our nieces and nephews either in Christmastime or on birthdays. Some of them are more on the "baking" (cakes and desserts) side and some of them are on the "cooking" (meals, salads, pasta) side. It's fun to watch their "cook-offs" when DH and I visit. They cook/bake quite well, actually. 

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to read your story, @JTbo
  A lot of us have had crappy childhood experiences but still have managed to put together lives for ourselves.  Please don't let your early experiences rob you of the rest of your life!  So glad you do have kitties to share your life with.  :nod:
I'm far past 50% mark of life already, but it took me far too long to realize many things, however I have my large kitty family and I'm more than happy with that, every day is really great with them and I could never hope anything more :)

Earlier this morning I attempted to get Panther to hunt mice that has been running here, but as this room is outside of his normal area he did not found tracks of mouse, just wanted to go outside to his normal territory, he is the most tolerant of them all, so now I need to figure out how to make this for their safe area quite quickly for them to catch the mouse. Usually it takes days, maybe more than a week of hard work to get them consider area as safe area where they can spend time freely and it is usually impossible to carry a cat to new area.

I need to somehow trigger their interest so that they want to go this new area as then it is ok to even carry them or lift them to place they have desire to explore.

This is bit similar to marketing, where they make needs for stuff no one really don't need, but they are really good at creating those needs, with cats I have found marketing being the best approach, but I did try treats already which did not worked, there are too many doors so it is too scary place to go directly there. perhaps I need to wedge doors open and use a string for them to hunt and follow to new place, that would be quite strong desire for them to conquer fright of the new area.

Cats are great in how one really can't order them, one can only guide them by gently altering their desires and frights with focus of attention and sounds + touches causing different mood states. Trick there is to learn how cat feels from different things and this can vary from cat to cat, they do react differently to belly rubs, chin rubs etc. also, so they have different things that are most interesting for them, also some are more scared of new than others as well as their desire driving over frights has different strengths, for some desire only barely overcomes afraid of new if at all as it depends also from how tired and comfortable cat is at the beginning, amount of light has also lot to do with it, being nocturnal, brightly lit area is more scary than shadows, let there be a dark tunnel and it is almost impossible to keep cat away from it, despite being new area :D

So I probably need a tunnel then, dark one preferrably :)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
How about a tunnel made from cardboard boxes to lure them into the area?

One reason I don't watch much TV is that I tend to fall asleep on the couch right in the middle of whatever I'm watching, then wake up cold in the wee hours. DH goes to bed and leaves me sleeping downstairs. Jamie would sometimes go up to bed, other times stay in the living room with me. Mogli usually stays downstairs with me.

the1who feedsus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@JTbo  

I was blessed with the parents i had. Truly wonderful people. I'm sorry your childhood was unpleasant, but you certainly gained from it. strength and determination and how to be a good parent.(4 footed or 2 footed children lol).

@jcatshe has a rice cooker. sigh. it just doesn't turn out the same as mine she says lol.

@Catnap

Chicken is a cat. hes a fuzzy black cat with 6 toes on one paw and 7 on the other. a kitten face even though hes 3 years old lol. and sadly the last time i saw him he looked like a furry cinder block. when my daughter moved to Peterborough, Chicken got a little depressed. She took very good care of him and loved him through it but a few months of extra treats and lack of exercise, he put on a few pounds.  now hes settled and happy and Nats watching his food intake, giving him less treats, and lots more playtime. hes doing quite well and only looks like a furry brick now lol. hes also a talker. he meows and murps and chirps. there's a cat who wanders around our neighborhood named Marlow. Chicken would sit in the window and call him. by name. i swear lol.  and if you ask him "wheres your friends" he jumps on the window sill and meowls( cross between a meow and a howl) and it sound like hes saying 'where are you?" my boyfriend freaked out the first time he heard Chicken talk lol..he also says "love you" and when offering him a treat, says "please". (the cat, not the bf.who is an ex now btw...sigh lol)

and finally.....Chickens official name is Munchkin. chicken is the last half of munchkin...and most definitely described his behavior when she first got him. very nervous and afraid of his own shadow...literally..

i think i will find and post pix of my fuzzybubbies.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@JTbo

I was blessed with the parents i had. Truly wonderful people. I'm sorry your childhood was unpleasant, but you certainly gained from it. strength and determination and how to be a good parent.(4 footed or 2 footed children lol).
That is true, for every disadvantage there always have to be some advantage, everything in world balances somehow, we just don't always know how :D

I ended up keeping doors open and letting heat escape, then I put cat food on plate to make them interested, sure enough they did eat the food and walked away not even sniffing if there would be something alive around :lol3:

Chicken sounds wonderful cat and so many toes, I have bit of obsession to stick finger between their toes, they actually like that a lot, they spread their toes out and purr from little rub.

I'm getting bit faster with this tree felling and cutting, or then trees are getting smaller, I did manage to adjust my chainsaw to work much better too, repair shop had made adjustments all wrong.

Lower back started to hurt so bad that I had to quit chopping early, maybe tomorrow is better day.

Darn mouse, had managed to climb into bag which I use as a fridge replacement and spoiled my today's dinner, this means war, man vs mouse and when it runs on floor I jump and run away, it might bite from a toe or I might get some horrible decease (sickness that is, not death, maybe wrong word?) When I do carry cat in here they just sit by a door and are very verbal about being let out immediately, so that is not working either.

I guess traditional mouse trap is needed, or mouse might die anyway, it did eat my prepared meat with lot of onion, garlic, chili, pepper and all sorts of other seasonings which make it probably illegal substance in most states, causes flames from both ends if one eats too much, just wait your toilet time little mouse, that will make little surprise for you :lol3:

Off to sauna, then to shop, maybe they got some mouse traps there, if not then I need to make my own, if I do my own I will make such that catches one alive, then it would be free food for cats. I guess I have not much sympathy for them who spoil my dinner :D

the1who feedsus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess traditional mouse trap is needed, or mouse might die anyway, it did eat my prepared meat with lot of onion, garlic, chili, pepper and all sorts of other seasonings which make it probably illegal substance in most states, causes flames from both ends if one eats too much, just wait your toilet time little mouse, that will make little surprise for you

first question...how does one select just a portion of a post?...i cut and pasted this from JTbos' but i see others do it differently.

next...im sorry but i feel bad for poor little mousy...i had a vision of some little mouse in a little house on a toilet moaning and swearing off JTbos dinners.

poor Opal is having hairball issues. she grooms herself and Dave, and its just too much for her little tummy. time to step up the brushing i guess. i was doing it every few days, they both need more i guess. Dave has never tossed a hairball, i guess he passes them in the litter box easily. i think we'll pick up some hairball paste when we do groceries.

well...i think im babbled out for the time being. im gonna go eat quiche!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

first question...how does one select just a portion of a post?...i cut and pasted this from JTbos' but i see others do it differently.
Do you mean like this?  If so, just hit the 'quote' button in the bottom right hand corner of the post you want, then when it appears in the reply box you can edit it.

If you didn't mean this, then I just gave you totally redundant information, which would be quite good, really, since it's the babbling thread..

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

next...im sorry but i feel bad for poor little mousy...i had a vision of some little mouse in a little house on a toilet moaning and swearing off JTbos dinners.
Just normal quote, then delete text you don't need, but don't touch that machine text that has [ and ] around them, that is how I do it, not sure of others, there can be way I'm not aware of :)

Yeah, poor mouse, but life gives what we choose, mouse chose to enter indoors and mouse chose to ruin my dinner, there is plenty of food outdoors for mouse, but he chose other way and I guess he suffers from his poor choice. If that mouse dies, then it was his last bad choice and natural selection happens where mouse that did stay outside can have lot of little ones, that are again more likely to stay outside and live without facing horrible seasoning poison death.

One might think that this mouse just did not had what mouse needs to survive and in nature those tend to die sooner and have less little ones. So I'm not very much sad either, probably some other mouse has tiny bit more to eat. Our shop does not have mouse traps, to get one I need to go into next town, which is over 4 hours there and back with bicycle. Maybe I try to get two cats in, perhaps they feel more comfortable that way.

Well, thanks to mouse today is pizza day :D

pennywise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good morning! I thought I'd pop on for a quick babble. I'm trying to type this on my five year old "smart"phone, so I can't guarantee spelling or punctuation. I'm happy to see we're @ post 878! Maybe if we don't reach 1000,we'll hopefully at least reach 900!!
I hope you all have a great day!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, only one more day of the babble-a-thon.  I won't be able to help out the rest of the day but maybe tomorrow--I'm going to be celebrating my birthday today!!   I'm going to work two hours this morning and then will be off work until Monday.  This afternoon hubby and I are going to a nice hotel for massages and dinner, and then breakfast and shopping tomorrow morning.  We're not even leaving town but will be staying at a wonderful hotel on Cannery Row, just downtown from us.   Tomorrow night is dinner out with friends; Sat. night another couple is joining us for dinner here at the house; Sunday I'll meet with my mom and sister for birthday breakfast--my mom's birthday is two days before mine so we usually celebrate together.

Happy babbling!