The neverending flea dramas continue

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shanynne

Yes but the trouble is how to give it to them???? I take De for myself daily, with a glass of water. It is completely tasteless, but does have a bit of a "chalky" feel to it as you drink it
and it does leave a "chalky" aftertaste but that goes away very quickly.

The thing is, I tried taking it with yogurt and I just couldn't handle it. Unfortunately it is very chalky in texture ... yaarrk ... so I think sprinkling it on the cats food would be very hard for them to eat, it would be like eating a mouthful of powder, not very pleasant.

So the only other way I can think of is to put it in their water bowl, but I'm worried that it would settle after a while and then you would have to figure out the right quantity to put versus the amount of water in the bowl.

So if you are doing this with success please pass on what you are doing so we can do it too!
I actually don't feed my cats DE nor do I know of anyone else that does. I know farmers use it for their larger animals but an uncertain if they use it for their barn cats. Most of us here on this site use DE to kill fleas and other insects. The only reason the ingestion issue is addressed at all is to let folks know that it is a safe product to use around mammals (like us and cats).

I would imagine if you mixed a bit in with your cat's wet food instead of just "sprinkling" it on the food, they would eat it with no problems at all.