The mystery bump

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Um, freaky! I think if I saw the chip that close to the skin--and on the face, no less!--I'd have it cut out. That just can't be good.
Yes, I'll take him to another vet.. an holistic one.. later in the week (it's a long way away).  He has a severely deformed spine and rib-cage which may have affected it. The rest of the litter didn't survive, and he wasn't expected to, so I need to keep a close eye on him.  He seems incredibly fit, all things considering, but....

tigertigertiger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a classmate named Sundar once. Lol. But having a microchip move that far and becoming so visible beneath the skin is a scary thought!

How long ago did you get him micro chipped? I'm curious as to know (even though it may not have even started until last week) how it got up there and how long it took.

Do you plan on removing that chip and giving him a new one?

At least we know your friend is still healthy! :D

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Really interesting.  I'll keep checking back to see what transpires.

My breeder recommended we always scan for the chip at check-ups to make sure we know where it is - one of her cats had it migrate to her knee.  Apparently no problems with it though.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  I've been reading up, and it may just be his body trying to reject it.
That's how Rosie's lump started because her body was trying to reject it, but hopefully with a close eye on Sundars it won't get to the stage Rosie's got to. Hers had been in her for 10 years with no problem until now

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I had a classmate named Sundar once. Lol. But having a microchip move that far and becoming so visible beneath the skin is a scary thought!

How long ago did you get him micro chipped? I'm curious as to know (even though it may not have even started until last week) how it got up there and how long it took.

Do you plan on removing that chip and giving him a new one?

At least we know your friend is still healthy!
Was your classmate Indian? Sundar is Sanskrit for 'beautiful'..(pronounced Su as in 'put')

He had the chip put in when he was neutered, at 5 1/2 months old.  He's 15 months old now.

As he has major structural issues (deformed spine and ribs) and I don't know what else may transpire (he's the only one of the litter who survived) I'm keen to have it removed and get a note to say he can't have them implanted (in Australia it's the law to microchip animals).  He's an absolutely inside only cat so I'd rather he just didn't have it. I'll know more later this week and will keep everyone posted.
That's how Rosie's lump started because her body was trying to reject it, but hopefully with a close eye on Sundars it won't get to the stage Rosie's got to. Hers had been in her for 10 years with no problem until now
Had it moved, or did it just start to go bad right where they put it?

Last edited:

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be worried about it acting like a blood clot. That would make me nervous anywhere on the cat's head.

Last edited:

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Tell your vet Rosie's story as well lf you want?
Yes, I will. Good idea.

And mrblanche, I agree with you.. it seems so mobile!

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
OK, I am now profoundly embarrassed...

I took Sundar to the 'good vet' and it isn't a chip.  I should have gone in with them when they scanned her at the first vet.. It seems absurd that they got it wrong, but they did.  I'm wondering if they just waved the chip locator around her face while she was in her crate, and it went off because it was nearby.  Who knows.  I won't be going there again.  (I don't normally.. I just wanted a scanner).

When he had it first it was on the top of his nose but it seemed to go away... then I found it down in the corner much later.  The vet thinks it's a sebaceous cyst.  She thinks that my touching it to try to determine what it was probably burst it, but it reformed further down.  She did say it was hard, long and thin and could be confused with a chip, but she may have just been being kind as I did an emergency dash to her as I was so worried! 

She doesn't want to do any operation to remove it. Sundar's lungs are pretty compomised because of his funnel chest, so anaesthetics must be used very sparingly.  She's an holistic vet and gave me some turmeric ointment to apply, which is something used often for humans in ayurvedic medicine for these complaints, amongst other things. I'll use that and keep a close eye on it.

The good thing is that she thinks Sundar is in excellent health for a lad with his problems.

But I do feel very silly...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm missing something! Why would you be embarrassed??? Because the other vet was clueless, and you didn't oversee their work???

I'd think you'd be relieved! After seeing some of the good points brought up by others here, I know I am!!!

Do they sell something called icthammol (sp?) there? See how it goes with the turmeric, obviously, but keep it in mind. I don't know about issues re: ingestion and you'd have to ask the good vet, but it does a great job on cysts like this.

Long drive, but worth it!!!! So glad he otherwise is doing so well, all things considered!!!

Last edited:

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I think that scanning is something the reception staff do at the local vets, although they took him into another room to do it.. and I just feel stupid for taking their word for it as it really was incredibly unlikely.  And when I rang the 'good vet' I said it was definitely a chip and as far as I was concerned it was an emergency, so they fitted me in.  They were very good about it though.

I certainly am relieved as anything that requires anaethesia is, as I said, not great for Sundar and I was getting very concerned about it all.

I'll work with the turmeric .. they make it up themselves and it's organic.. but ichthammol is definitely available here if needed.  Thank you.

Last edited:

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm with Laurie on feeling embarrassed and stupid. You put your cats health with the experts so you didn't  know?.

Just out of curiosity, did the latest vet scan Sundar to see his chip was where it should be?

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm with Laurie on feeling embarrassed and stupid. You put your cats health with the experts so you didn't  know?.

Just out of curiosity, did the latest vet scan Sundar to see his chip was where it should be?
Yes... that's how we knew it wasn't in his nose

It's down between his shoulder blades but there's no way I can feel it.  He has a kind of hump-back due to spinal damage (he was born with it).  It seems it's embedded itself pretty strongly.  I was always able to feel the chips in previous cats, and in Nilah, but not Sundar.   I feel a bit odd about microchips after all of this.

You're both absolutely right..
I'm being way too sensitive about all this.  It was very poor of the vets to make such a call.   I did over-react a bit though.  I guess it's just what happens when you have a cat that wasn't expected to survive. 

All is good.. now I can just treat the cyst.

He's sitting on my lap, purring. And Nilah has stopping hissing at him because he smells like a cat hospital .

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never felt their chips before, but l've heard many that have.

I don't want to feel about for them either because l don't want another episode like Rosie's.  I've never stressed so much! 

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't want to feel about for them either because l don't want another episode like Rosie's.  I've never stressed so much! 
I missed that whole thread of Rosie's chip when it happened... it was just awful.

It's what got me moving, along with mrblanche's comment.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
So I've used the ointment, and the lump has completely gone... just like it did when it was on the top of his nose.  I don't think it could have been a sebaceous cyst as this was a 'hopeful' and relatively long-term (as long as it didn't get larger or look infected) treatment to try to avoid surgery, and it seems odd that it has completely gone so easily. It did seem to get a little smaller, but all of a sudden it just wasn't there at all. I can't find any other type of thing it's likely to be, though, unless it's some kind of allergic reaction.

Of course it's fabulous that it's gone, but I'm aware that this did happen before, so I'm conditionally relieved...  I'll keep a really close eye on the area.

Anyone heard of this happening?