The moon

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was incredible. bright as day last night.

I didn't take any pics last night, It was just too cold and windy to go out in my PJs, but I usually do.

I have some fantastic shots from the total eclipse a few years ago.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Grogs

Here's what I got. We have broken clouds, so I had to take pictures in the gaps between them.
Originally Posted by Momto3boys

Wasn't it amazing, I just loved it.
I didn't get any pics but a friend of mine did, this is one of his pictures.
Wow! Those are some great pix! You guys must have some much better cameras!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I have some fantastic shots from the total eclipse a few years ago.
We want pix!

I didn't notice that the moon was incredibly brighter or bigger either last night - not anymore so than normally.
Maybe it depended upon where you were viewing it from that made a difference...

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

I have always been very interested in astronomy... It really makes us look so teeny tiny when you consider the galaxy, just amazing to me.
I looked around a bit and discovered that in order to be considered a "super full moon", both the exact time of perigee (once per orbit) and the full moon have to occur within one hour of each other. Less precise alignments occur more frequently. Here's a decent article on it from NASA.

Originally Posted by KittKatt

Wow! Those are some great pix! You guys must have some much better cameras!
Thanks! I've got a Canon SX-10. It's was about $300 a couple of years ago. It's not a professional-grade camera or anything, but it's a definite step up over the little point-and-shoot pocket cameras. The two biggest problems (to me, at least) shooting the moon are exposure and focus. When left on automatic, most cameras will grossly overexpose the moon and all you'll get is a white blob with the surface features washed out. I had to increase my shutter speed from the 1/8th sec. that the camera recommended to 1/1600th to compensate. As for the focus, my camera's auto focus kept cycling around trying to get focused in on the moon, but never quite got it right.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Grogs

I looked around a bit and discovered that in order to be considered a "super full moon", both the exact time of perigee (once per orbit) and the full moon have to occur within one hour of each other. Less precise alignments occur more frequently. Here's a decent article on it from NASA.

Thanks! I've got a Canon SX-10. It's was about $300 a couple of years ago. It's not a professional-grade camera or anything, but it's a definite step up over the little point-and-shoot pocket cameras. The two biggest problems (to me, at least) shooting the moon are exposure and focus. When left on automatic, most cameras will grossly overexpose the moon and all you'll get is a white blob with the surface features washed out. I had to increase my shutter speed from the 1/8th sec. that the camera recommended to 1/1600th to compensate. As for the focus, my camera's auto focus kept cycling around trying to get focused in on the moon, but never quite got it right.
All that camera (and moon) "talk" is way above my head.
I'm lucky I was able to figure out my cyber-shot camera!
But I appreciate you trying to explain it!

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister and brother in law went for a walk last night. We didn't even need flashlights because it was so bright. It didn't look any larger to me. I snapped some pictures anyway, here's one.

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I had a zoom lens for my camera this shot would have turned out soo much better! It's a bit out of focus
It was amazing watching the moon come up. It looked like the sun was rising. This shot was taken on 3-19-11.