The Mad Pee’er And Guilt

thatfilmgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
things have changed since I last posted. I borrowed a large dog crate from a coworker but Poe seemed to be “cleaning up his act” so I decided not to crate him.

Then I signed a lease on my apartment. It’s no pets allowed so my boys will be staying here. With all the chaos I suggested that they could crate him after I move, but my mom pointed out not wanting to do that because it would be crating him after I was gone and that could be a lot of negativity and confusion for him. That’s fair.

So with my room in chaos I’m sleeping in the guest room. This is the room that Poe was quarantined in when I first got him and it has brand new carpeting since then... that he’s peed on. Well I kept the door closed all night but about half an hour ago I heard him crying for people to wake up and opened the door for him, hoping maybe he would come and maybe cuddle my feet.

He sniffed around the door, came in... then peed right behind the door. It’s currently soaking in nature’s miracle for another twenty minutes.

He ran downstairs, I got a food bowl and water and put them in my bathroom where his litter box is and when he started looking into my bedroom, I picked him up and put him in the bathroom and closed the door. I got the treat bag and came in... Poe cowered from me, shrinking away from my attempt to reach my hand to him and tried to break from the door. He is presently crying in there and the problem is that door doesn’t close very well so.... I suspect It might be only a matter of time before he breaks out and refuses to go in there again.

I feel horrible.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry Poe is still peeing outside the litter box. When are you moving? Could you try crating him before you move, so he does't associate the crating with your absence and your Mom.

BTW, does he eat dry or wet food? One of our members always recommends giving a cat more wet food if they are peeing around the house, as it solved a problem with one of their cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thatfilmgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry Poe is still peeing outside the litter box. When are you moving? Could you try crating him before you move, so he does't associate the crating with your absence and your Mom.

BTW, does he eat dry or wet food? One of our members always recommends giving a cat more wet food if they are peeing around the house, as it solved a problem with one of their cats.
Thanks for the reply. I’m moving in a week and a half and I’m going to keep him in the bathroom with the litter box. It’s bigger, there’s more room for him and it seems better.

He has access to wet food since we give Sammy a bowl for his gravy addiction. He’ll occasionally eat out of it and we’ve tried giving him his own but he isn’t sure. Perhaps this is the opportunity to introduce him to wet food on his own.

He has a habit of peeing in the bedroom like he did this morning, which is usually closed. His litter box was literally right across the hallway and he chose to pee behind the door. He has been using that litter box pretty regularly so... it’s really confusing

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As I'm sure you've seen, there's a lot of threads on litter box avoidance, so you are not alone with this. But unfortunately that doesn't make it easier to solve, as all the cats' situations are different. Fingers crossed you find the solution to your boy's issue. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thatfilmgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I'm sure you've seen, there's a lot of threads on litter box avoidance, so you are not alone with this. But unfortunately that doesn't make it easier to solve, as all the cats' situations are different. Fingers crossed you find the solution to your boy's issue. :crossfingers:
Thanks! Yes, i’ve Been scouring the articles trying to pinpoint what the most likely cause is. It seems that while he knows he can use the litter box, he still doesn’t understand that it’s the ONLY appropriate place. He’s healthy and has been treated for his health issues (bladder blood clot and tapeworm) do locking him in the bathroom is probably our best bet. His box is in there, he’s never peed on my rugs so... here’s hoping. And hopefully he doesn’t end up with negative feelings for the bathroom either since that’s the home Forbes the litter.

It’s just so frustrating when you’re trying to do absolutely everything you can.