The Loss Of A Childhood Friend

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently put down my 15.5 year old cat, Tiger. He was my very first pet at 14 years old that I purchased myself with babysitting money at the time.
15 years feels like forever to me. I don't remember what days were like without him. He was with me through all of high school and college, all the teenage angst, he was my #1 companion when I moved out on my own, he was there through good times and bad, came with me when I moved in with my boyfriend who later became my husband, and then became a playmate for my daughter.
That's a lot of years. A lot of growth and change but most of all a lot of love.
In his final months his health declined with kidney failure and was on IV sub Q fluids every day which I administered to him and then in his final week he was diagnosed with cancer that quickly got the better of him.
I miss him every day. It's so weird not seeing his face after so long together and I still find myself expecting to see his face.
But I am left with many many great memories and knowing he lead a great, comfy, spoiled life.
<3

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Tiger, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

He taught you so much, didn't he? And he continues to teach you this new, so difficult lesson. But even now, he teaches with love. That one can love, and let go, and yet that love still abides. So long as you remember him, he is with you still, and that love will never leave you.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your long time friend, what a great story and memories you have though. I am sure that he loved his life here with you and has no regrets, and neither do you, just love to last forever....

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your kind words. He was incredibly special to me and I know I will see him again some day.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss of Tiger! It always hurts to loose a loved one. And yes, i think you will meet again, he is happy, pain free, can eat anything he wants, and waiting on you :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
15 years is over half your life, so yes it WAS a lifetime for you. The emptiness you feel will be with you for a long time. Until you learn to fill that emptiness with thankfulness for knowing that sweet boy and having his love by making a new life's order for yourself. This is called the grieving process and everyone must travel that road alone. But it helps to have the support of those who have traveled that road ahead of you, the comfort and help makes the road a little smoother and is much appreciated.
You have formed a bond with Tiger, a bond of love that strengthened over the years and ties your souls together for eternity. The path he follows now will forever follow yours, he will always be near to listen, to comfort, just as he did in life. This bond can never be broken, never taken from you. Rejoice in knowing and loving that precious little boy what you learned together is monumental, and having him in your life is priceless. Never knowing him at all would have been unthinkable. Try to celebrate his life, not mourn his death. He would be the last one to want to see you sad because of him. Just as you would want for him if you were the first to go, go into the future with happiness and hope. For you gave him everything he ever wanted in his life when you gave him your love. Be gentle on yourself, take care.......RIP beautiful Tiger. You will never be forgotten and will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm crying reading all these beautiful posts by wonderful people.
Thank you so so much.

kc1_cat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss of Tiger. Think of the good times and all the happiness he brought to your life. He is watching. He will always be with you in your heart . Rest in Peace Tiger my friend. You will be together again. :)

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss, whenever a beloved pet passes it is always too soon, but he had a great life with you - your friend and constant companion.

My condolences.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im sorry.
Focus on the good memories.
Each day it will hurt a little less.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry for your loss. It is hard and words cannot change things. If only we could wish away all this bad stuff but I believe it lets us know that we can love deeply. It's a testament to a great life we had together with them. I had a cat who lived to be 18. They really are your life and a part of who you become as an adult. It is very very painful to let them go but your sweetie is no longer suffering.

I lost my Timmer 6 weeks ago and I swear, the other night I felt his presence with me, letting me know "I'm still with you!" I believe your kitty will do the same. And I believe our kitties are up in heaven with our loved ones, waiting for us. I hold onto that hope and I believe it. I do.

Time will help you. Lots of time. Allow yourself to grieve. I started writing a journal and it has helped me a lot! It's something you can turn to and write down all kinds of things 24/7. I talk to Timmer in my journal.
And keep coming on here and chatting with others. You will find in time you will be helping people who are in the same boat as you are. We often heal when we help others.
Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss! Huuuuuge hugs and many condolences! :redheartpump::hugs:

I totally understand. I got my Jack Russel Terrier at the age of ten, and had her for 15 years. She was also with me through everything - with me through elementary to University, a serious surgery, dates, jobs, moving to different provinces, license and first car, etc etc all the good stuff and bad stuff, all the milestones and scary stuff. It was incredibly difficult to lose such a huge companion.

Lot's of love and support coming your way. Thank you for giving him stuff a wonderful life too!

R.I.P you awesome kitty :grouphug:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry. I lost a kitty I'd had most of my adult life--it's very tough to lose a beloved family member. It's obvious that Tiger had a wonderful life and was well-loved. RIP, little man. :rbheart: