The licking

onlyone1147

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So i have had my 16wk old kitten for around a month, I got her when she was 12wks. I love her she is so loving, but she licks me at night, I know it loving but her tounge is so freaking rough, it leaves marks. I dont like her licking my face, and she wakes me up in the morning by licking my face, She will cry until I answer her then she will come up to me and start licking me. its driving me and my hubby mental, what can i do. I wont lock her out of are room cause she cries and cries..
Help...

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bathe in cayenne pepper? Just kidding!
I know what you mean about them hurting. Seti does that to me and he's very persistent about licking. My best advice is to try to redirect her. Give her a stuffed animal or a toy and see if that will be a distraction for her.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Google or search the forum for keyword SSSCAT.

This can be placed behind the threshold of the door to puff harmless compressed air at the cat when it passes by a motion sensor.

Unlike a physical barrier, this becomes a mental barrier, and cats simply learn to avoid the invisible omnipresent evil force and are unlikely to get near and vocalize.

You can decide later to remove this barrier as the cat matures and become less needy and respectful of your needs. Wesley and Buttercup were banished in the past, but now that they are more chillaxed and don't attack my face and jump at me full force in the middle of my sleep all the time treating my bed like a playground, they sleep with me. Pretty cute too as if its warm Wesley likes to sleep next to me belly and chin up all splayed out by my leg, w/ Buttercup usually more tucked in a ball nearby.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS, Onlyone!

I'm with Howtoholdacat on this... I think redirecting is your best bet. I have six cats and I couldn't imagine not letting them sleep with me. However, my last addition, Ralph, is a licker like I've never met before, and he, too, has a gosh-awful rough tongue. He tries for my face a lot, especially my nose, and I'd swear he's done his best to remove a layer or two of skin.

I let him get in one or two licks, then redirect him by turning his body away from me and by wiggling a soft kitty toy near him or by wiggling my fingers under the covers just long enough to get his attention off licking me.

She's a kitten, so it may take a while for her to drop this behavior down to acceptable levels.

Good luck and congratulations on your new furbaby!

AC

ankydas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for this post. Even I also have the same problem.