The joy of living downstairs

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel for you guys!
Overall, I've had good neighbors over the years.

I am on the top floor. I need to speak for the top floor neighbors!
(I've had horribly loud downstair neighbors - last guy had two big barky dogs)

I go out of my way to be considerate: I dont wear shoes inside. I have 75-80% floor coverage with rugs and padding (required in the lease). I rarely have parties. I make an effort to not even "drop" my bag down when I get home. I "place" it quietly so it doesnt reverberate downstairs!

What do I get in return? Little notes stuck in the door cracks from the lady below: "You walk too much." "your showers are too long". "You flushed the toilet too many times after I went to bed". Each comment on each note is followed with a "it keeps me up". btw - she has two yippie dogs who yipyipyip if so much as a leaf floats by at 5:00 am - but somehow, that isnt noisy!

I spoke with the owner for advice about it. She explained the tenant has never lived in apt in her entire life and doesnt accept she has to make adjustments. The owner agreed that I am v. quiet and considerate overall and that Smidge is quiet too

That comment about the dragging furniture at all times of the day - I've experienced those neighbors too! It is often and daily and I was always like "Really?! What are you doing up there??"

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My upstairs neighbor is a blind woman who really should be living on the 1st floor. She cannot close the shower curtain properly and it has damaged my bathroom ceiling. Her dishwasher and fridge have leaked in the past and she got really upset when I reported it to management and they took care of it in her absence. (If she was on the 1st floor it would drain into the garage area.) Talking to her does no good, she just won't listen. The new management is urging all tenents to move into renovated upscale (and higher rent) apartments in the complex, but given her situation she's not interested. I can't wait to move to a house this year!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We live in a single story apartment just for that reason. When we first married, there was lady upstairs. She must have weighed 90 pounds soaking wet, but she was the noisiest person ever!!! We had downstairs neighbor once that you could tell when he was "entertaining" a lady.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SkyeCat0117

"They" are the typical college kids that don't have to work to pay rent because parents have it taken care of.
The typical college kids have to work crappy jobs for no pay and still can't quite pay their rent, and are only up til 3 if they're studying or its a weekend.

But, yea, I totally know who you mean. I'm lucky enough to live on the top floor above the model apartment, and the landlords have said the only thing they ever hear from me is the toilet or the shower.

My friends' roommate is a bigger dude, but by no means elephant sized, and I slept in her basement while I was visiting her and I actually thought something was horribly wrong he was so loud. It sounded like he was doing jumping jacks and moving his furniture all night. No idea what he was actually doing-- every step he took was like he was trying to put his foot through the floor.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here we go.....

When my parents lost the house in a bankruptcy, I moved in with a friend...into their dining room. Seriously, my bed was in their dining room! You could never see the bottom of the sink or coffee table. Crap always on it. Sometimes the friends friend would stay up late watching TV 10 feet away from me.

I finally found a room above a shop in an outdoor mall. All fine and dandy until the crack-smoking Jehovah's Witness roommate would have his friends over and they would use my dishes.

6 months later, I was able to move back in with my mom in a mobile home park. The only noises that would probably bother other people was that my window faced the window of my neighbor who was an undertaker who would become very religous (OH GOD, YES...) some nights when her boyfriend would come over. I actually kinda enjoyed that...

My own first actual apartment, I rented sight unseen as I was moving from California to Oregon. They neglected to tell me that my apartment was right next to the hall door (Our front doors are all inside). Lease was up and I moved into a 3 floor complex where I was in the middle. The person above must have been on crack because there was always sound coming from up there. The person below loved playing loud music. I finally moved 2 doors down into a top floor apartment. Ahhh, peace!

The last place I lived in was the best. In the complex, I ended up in the quietest building! And, I was downstairs! My neighbors were awesome! I hated to leave but adventures awaited me back in California!