The I Did It Again Belated Question For September 13, 2017

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am starting ti think that USA citizens have some sort of fetiche with pumpkin :lol:
We don't have season's flavours here, there are a couple of sweets linked to festivities and a day in which It is typical to drink sweet Apple cider and eat chestnuts, but that is all. No pumpkin things, that is for sure :biggrin:
I think our whole seasonal celebrations thing might have something to do with the fact that the USA was settled very largely by Europeans, especially English, Irish and Scots, early on. Those countries are descended to a great degree from the Keltic people whose religion appears to have celebrated the agricultural seasons and the turning of the "Wheel of the Year." Although those old traditions became overlaid with Christianity, the folk customs were still enjoyed, and are to this day.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think our whole seasonal celebrations thing might have something to do with the fact that the USA was settled very largely by Europeans, especially English, Irish and Scots, early on. Those countries are descended to a great degree from the Keltic people whose religion appears to have celebrated the agricultural seasons and the turning of the "Wheel of the Year." Although those old traditions became overlaid with Christianity, the folk customs were still enjoyed, and are to this day.
Actually, the part of Spain I am from also shares that Celtic background and we do have some festivities in common with Ireland, but we are not so "food centered" (my friend Liza, who is from Dublin, says that they are not either into season flavours) in the sense that we do not have specific autumn flavours, though obviously apples and chestnuts are more common this time of the year. We kind of devote a day for that, instead of the whole season.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, had I actually looked at "Asturias," I'd have known that! Yes, parts of Spain does have a heavy Celtic background.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fall is my favorite seasons. I love the colors and the cooler, dryer weather. I also love fresh apples both just to eat but also pies, crisps, and baked. I like pumpkin pie in small amounts. I look forward to it and enjoy it but once I have it I don't really crave it anymore.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the crispness in the air, the hot sun, but cool breeze. There is a special 'smell' to fall too. I also love that things are winding down for winter, spring is way too hectic. Weeds are slowing down, and leaves are beautiful!