The hour of the kitty pile is drawing near...

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're... almost... there... !!!

It started off with a dejected Joni sitting far away from the inseparable boys, who seem to have formed their own He-Man Woman Haters Club in this photo:

Within a few days, Joni stopped getting spooked every time Simon or Garfunkel walked by and sniffed her. Longer wrestling sessions with more body contact started. We made some progress, and here are Joni and Garfunkel sleeping comfortably within a few inches of each other.

Joni has been introduced to the boys for a full week now and is joining them in most of their daily activities. Today while snuggling in the bed after work we had a breakthrough! Here is Joni, curled up next to my leg, with all four paws stretched out and resting on Simon:

You can't see it in the picture, but about an inch away from Joni's butt, over in the lower right-hand corner, is Garfunkel's head.

I'm really tempted to wait until they are totally and completely passed out in that can't-wake-them-up kitten sleep, and shove them together and call it a kitty pile, but I want it to be organic and come about by choice.

Waiting is so hard! But seeing them like this today, with body contact while sleeping, really gave me hope! I hope I can update this thread with a real and true kitty pile very soon!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a wonderful thing!! They look so cute together! Is she adjusting well and how is her behavior doing? Has your friend asked about her at all?

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so sweet!! I am so happy for you that everyone's getting along so well! I can't wait for the kitty pile either!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!!! I got a video of the three of them sitting in a row, grooming themselves simultaneously that I'll have to upload soon!

Originally Posted by stephanietx

What a wonderful thing!! They look so cute together! Is she adjusting well and how is her behavior doing? Has your friend asked about her at all?
Thank you! She is just one of the gang now! Her behavior is much improved, she has become quite a cuddlebug, even more than the boys were at her age. She will crawl all over me purring and trying to find a place on me to sit, and she gives kisses just like Simon, something Garfunkel has never done. She is actually standing on my shoulder licking my face as I am writing this, lol!!
She did get a good, quick bite in yesterday when she was sleeping by my side and I reached for her. Otherwise, the quick nips while I am handling her are completely gone. She loves being petted and cuddled now. I haven't tried nail clipping just yet but she'll need it very soon, so hopefully that won't set back our relationship too much.

Her former mom has asked about her a lot, actually. I think she really liked the idea of a kitten but couldn't handle the raising. I had dinner with her & the kids the other night and her 9-year-old was upset that "Angel is good at your house but was bad at ours" after I told them that she is happy playing with her brothers.
I think it takes a certain mindset to understand cats - or rather to accept that you can't always understand them and that you have to do what they want instead of the other way around like with dogs. It's busy during the summer but we want to plan a time for them to come over and see Joni. It's nice that she asks after her.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What great photo's
. Thank you very much for sharing them with us

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by parsleysage

Thanks everyone!!! I got a video of the three of them sitting in a row, grooming themselves simultaneously that I'll have to upload soon!

Thank you! She is just one of the gang now! Her behavior is much improved, she has become quite a cuddlebug, even more than the boys were at her age. She will crawl all over me purring and trying to find a place on me to sit, and she gives kisses just like Simon, something Garfunkel has never done. She is actually standing on my shoulder licking my face as I am writing this, lol!!
She did get a good, quick bite in yesterday when she was sleeping by my side and I reached for her. Otherwise, the quick nips while I am handling her are completely gone. She loves being petted and cuddled now. I haven't tried nail clipping just yet but she'll need it very soon, so hopefully that won't set back our relationship too much.

Her former mom has asked about her a lot, actually. I think she really liked the idea of a kitten but couldn't handle the raising. I had dinner with her & the kids the other night and her 9-year-old was upset that "Angel is good at your house but was bad at ours" after I told them that she is happy playing with her brothers.
I think it takes a certain mindset to understand cats - or rather to accept that you can't always understand them and that you have to do what they want instead of the other way around like with dogs. It's busy during the summer but we want to plan a time for them to come over and see Joni. It's nice that she asks after her.
It'd be interesting to see if they are rough with the kittens - might be a clue as to why Joni was biting so much?

What would you do if she asks for "Angel" back after she's better behaved with you now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

What would you do if she asks for "Angel" back after she's better behaved with you now?
Tough titty said the kitty. (As my mom would say.) This is NOT a boarding house. I paid the pet deposit at my apartment, I paid for her exam, tests, deworming, and shots, I am paying to have her spayed when she is old enough.

My friend is a good person but was not a good cat mom. She did not do a single hour of cursory research on "I'm getting a kitten, now what?" - she did not even have a cat carrier, which are $15 from Wal-mart. She was feeding Angel out of paint-stained craft bowls her kids had. She is also being threatened by her leasing company with a $400 pet deposit bill because they found out she had a cat - yup, she didn't bother to mention it. They could have forced her to get rid of the cat, and where would Angel have ended up?!??!!!!

No way. Joni's mine now, physically and emotionally.
I'd rather lose my friend than lose Joni.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I love how Joni is changing the boys' minds about their little sisfur. She keeps working on them and soon there really will be a kitty pile. I love the picture of Joni's paw touching Simon. It's such a sweet picture. And I'm really glad that you're keeping this little girl...it's really the purrrrrfect home for her!