The Hollow Log of 2016

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We visited with friends last night and had a nice campfire out on their back patio. Hotdogs for supper with mountain pies for dessert. We had apple and cherry mountain pies. I made a pan of pumpkin bars. Everything was yummy.

Here's the Hollow Log of 2016. I've been taking pictures of our burning hollow logs now for several years. We love to sit by the fire and watch the log burn from the inside and work its way outward. Rich (our friend) always tries to find at least one night hollow log to put on the fire after we're done eating our supper; he knows how much I love them. This is the one from last night.

This is an apple mountain pie, made in one of our pie irons. We used to do a lot of camping when we were younger and we still have all of our camping equipment. Of everything we still have, the pie irons get used often during the summer. Yum. There is nothing better when you're outside by the fire than a good apple mountain pie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, pretty much. Pie filling and sandwich bread (don't laugh it's really good). It's apple pie filling between the two slices of bread, then the whole thing is placed into a pie iron and cooked in the coals of the fire. We did apple and cherry over the weekend. But you can make pizza mountain pies, ham and cheese, ham and egg and cheese, a simple lebanon baloney and cheese. You can make any kind of sandwich you want and they're all really good. (I dearly love Reubens, so one time, I drained some sauerkraut really well, and put it between a couple slices of corned beef and some smoky provolone and cooked it. I dipped pieces into 1,000 island dressing. Oh man, it was so good.) 

Our pie irons are ancient. We also have my parents' pie irons, so there are always plenty to go around.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
that's funny, cause I've made stuff you're mentioning! When we first got this little gadget at the fair one year, http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Toastmaster-Snackster-Sandwich-Maker-/162067863577?hash=item25bbff5819

I think it was around 1990 or something, this was all the rage. We bought one & it was SO awesome, (I'm thinking I just might buy this one for sale). Basically you take sandwich bread & make hot grilled sandwiches. You would slather butter on both sides, put your stuff inside, I always made ham & cheese, apple pies, hot italian & then pizza sandwiches with a tortilla. Oh my gosh they were good. Always cooked perfectly, the cheese was always melty, yum yum.

Your pies reminded me of the Snackmaster sandwiches!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

that's funny, cause I've made stuff you're mentioning! When we first got this little gadget at the fair one year, http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Toastmaster-Snackster-Sandwich-Maker-/162067863577?hash=item25bbff5819

I think it was around 1990 or something, this was all the rage. We bought one & it was SO awesome, (I'm thinking I just might buy this one for sale). Basically you take sandwich bread & make hot grilled sandwiches. You would slather butter on both sides, put your stuff inside, I always made ham & cheese, apple pies, hot italian & then pizza sandwiches with a tortilla. Oh my gosh they were good. Always cooked perfectly, the cheese was always melty, yum yum.

Your pies reminded me of the Snackmaster sandwiches!
That's pretty much it....except ours are made in the coals of the camp fire. 

I think at one time, we had one of those Toastmaster things, maybe like a knock-off. I remember using it, but I've no idea what we ever did with it.