The Hardest Thing I Have Ever Done-giving Up My Cat

macyaji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this is even the right place to post this; but I really need to vent and express myself. I adopted Rose 7 month ago from a local animal shelter; she beautiful yet sassy. She brought me so much joy in the past 7 month! She is quiet but full of energy; she loves to sleep in cardboard boxes. She sleeps with me every night and I love the fact that I get to see her beautiful face every morning when I open my eyes. She is a very smart cat, knows how to open cabinet doors and turn the water on from the sink. One time I spend hours after work trying to find her only to find out that she was sleeping in one of the kitchen cabinets. Whenever I am binge watching Netflix on my TV she would sleep in my lab quietly or kneading on my chest like claim me as her property.

I recently got really sick and had to stay at the hospital for a week. I have really terrible health insurance and I racked up a lot of medical bills. The money I have to spend each month on medication is killing me. I felt I can no longer provide and take good care of Rose. I barely have enough money to pay rent next month; if Rose ever get sick; I simply cannot afford to take he to the vet. I tried to find her a foster parent for a year until I get my life together. Sadly I can't find a foster parent for Rose!

Today I made a painful decision; I took Rose to the shelter I adopted her from. Emily, the shelter manager, is a very nice person. I explained my situation to her and she felt very sorry for me. She said that if I really don't want to give up Rose, she can provide me with free cat food and litter each month so I don't have to spend any money. However I explained to her Rose's annual exam is next month and I don't have the money to pay for that or any other vet bills. I also explained to her that there is a chance that my own personal health may get worse as time goes by, I would give up Rose unless I don't have any other choice. She finally agreed to accept Rose. When I dropped Rose's carrier on the ground and the shelter staff came to pick her up; Rose started meowing violently and trying to pry open the carrier. I think now she knows that I am giving her up and that is her way of protesting.

Tears started pouring down my eyes; I will never forget about this moment. She tried her best trying to get out of the carrier; her violent and sad meows. She really loves and cares for me; I felt like a real loser at the moment. I hate myself so so so much! It's not even a day yet but I already miss her so so so much!I am heartbroken. I miss her so much and feel so bad that we will never see each other again. I miss brushing her. I miss the times we would sit together in the evenings (or during my morning coffee), and I would brush her fur and scratch his back. I miss the way he used to hop up on my bed and snuggle with me at night. I’m hope wherever she is, she will be well taken care of and loved.

20170506_004323.jpg

My favorite picture of her.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Rose is a beautiful cat, she looks like a tortie from the pic which would explain her feisty and intelligent nature. :wink: You did the kindest act you could by putting her welfare first before your own. It was very generous of the shelter manager to offer to pay for food and litter supplies each month. She must have felt you were a good cat mom. Just out of curiosity, do you know if the shelter has an arrangement with a vet or low cost clinic? I sincerely hope your health improves over time and Rose is placed in another caring home. Thank you for giving her seven months of love and happiness. :hugs:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Real love is putting your loved one's best interests about your own happiness. You did that. Bless you, and may you find comfort, health, and joy in the future. Please don't leave us, although I understand if you need to take a break for awhile. You are still a part of us.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not hate yourself, you are grieving so much and so heartbroken but you have really tried to put her future welfare first. You have a very deep love for her, I am so sorry you are going through this! Would it help to get a special journal, just for your love and thoughts and hopes for Rose, and write these down?