The Great Outdoors -- Not so Great

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is not always true, this is the rehoming page from my local rescue

Rehoming Policies

We will rehome to any area. We welcome families with small children who want a cat as we believe children and animals should grow up together. If the prospective new owners are out at work most of the day Jennie likes to encourage them to have two cats to keep each other company.
The cats are wormed, vaccinated, treated for fleas and neutered if old enough. Insurance is available for a free trial period of six weeks. After that it is up to the new owner to renew it. We are given commission on each policy given out which helps us to continue helping other cats. Elderly cats will be given a full M.O.T. and dental before being rehomed.
A rehoming form must be completed. If a kitten is too young to be neutered the new owners are sent out a neutering reminder form which must be completed by their vet and returned after the neutering operation.
We do home checks where necessary but an interview will always be carried out by the warden, Jennie.
We will not rehome if the prospective new owners:
•\tlive on or near a busy road (including backing on to a busy road)
•\tlive near a railway
•\tlive in a flat - except in special circumstances i.e. the cat is elderly, handicapped or has never been out or won't go out.
Giving a cat or kitten as a surprise gift is not something we recommend or agree with: the gift may not be truly wanted. Therefore, we insist that the new owners come to meet their new cat or kitten. Seeing the interaction between human and cat or kitten is vital to us as it helps ensure that those in our care are going to safe, loving homes where they will live happily for the rest of their lives.
It is not our practice to do a follow up visit as we just do not have the resources to enable us to do this. The new owner is never alone, however, as Jennie is always on the end of the phone if there are any problems. See the Contact List for details.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The great outdoors - let me have my say!

First of all let me say that I live in the UK and I keep my cats indoors. I live in an apartment and also near a busy road (in fact near a bend in a busy road). When I got my first kittens 10 years ago I'd spent a year thinking about whether I could keep cats indoors and reading everything I could about cats. I still wasnt' sure I was going to keep them in as I live on the ground floor so thought about the possibility of letting them out through a window. There are a few other cats around here and there are some I've seen outdoors for years so they are obviously staying away from the road. As they grew up they seemed fine indoors and I eventually decided that they would remain indoor cats. I think it very unlikey I'll ever let a cat have free outdoor access now that I've experienced keeping them indoors and know that it's possible to keep them safe and happy. If I move to a house I hope to build an outdoor run and/or catproof the back yard so that they can have some safe outdoor access.

Having said that, I do sometimes feel defensive when people are criticised for letting their cats go outside. It frustrates me when people refuse to acknowledge that there can be benefits to allowing a cat outside. A cat that goes outside has a much more varied and stimulating environment than one who stops indoors all the time, and most cats enjoy being out in the sun or chasing a leaf in the wind. Behavioural problems tend to be less too - anxiety related problems such as inappropriate urination are rare among indoor/outdoor cats over here. It's all about compromise and assessing the risks and benefits of both options, and those will never be exactly the same for 2 people as we all live in different environments. Ultimately it's total safety vs total freedom. For some of us the risks are obvious and are too great for us to allow our cats to go outdoors, but for others the risks and benefits are much more finely balanced and it's a harder decision. Obviously I believe that in indoor environment can be made stimulating enough for a cat if the owner is prepared to put in enough effort to make it so, otherwise I wouldn't keep indoor cats, but to imply that those who allow their cats to go outside don't care about them is rather harsh, imo. It's because they care about their quality of life that they let them go outside. Most people over here do keep their cats in at night when it's more dangerous outside.

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I understand that Europe and Australia let their cats outside. But how are we to address the issues of in or out when people come in here and ask "should I?.
I'd say by encouraging them to think carefully about both options and then make up their own mind. I would encourage anyone to keep their cats indoors, but I would also respect their decision to allow them outdoors if they feel it's relatively safe.

And I don't understand WHY a shelter in England would not adopt out if you don't let the cat outside. Cats do NOT have to go outside - its your decision. What about those in England that live in apartments - shelters don't adopt to those people?
It varies depending on the shelter. Remember that most cats in shelters are adult cats and most of those will have had previous outdoor access. Most shelters will want such cats to be homed to indoor/outdoor homes. I do think it's possible for such cats to be happy indoors, but it's a lot harder to get a cat that has had free outdoor access in the past to adapt to an indoor life so I don't blame shelters for looking for safe indoor/outdoor homes. When it comes to kittens, some are happy to rehome to indoor homes and some are not. It depends a lot on the individuals involved in doing homechecks and making those decisions. Most shelters have some cats from time to time that need indoor homes, eg FIV, blind cats. The majority of breeders over here prefer indoor homes for their cats and will specify that in the contract of sale.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live out in the country.Blaze is an outside cat.She has never gotten into a fight,never gotten hit,never gotten injured.
There are so many more dangers in a home than outside IMO.There are electrical cords,chemicals,plants,heights,toys, and etc.
Blaze LOVES it outside.When we had her in the house,before Seth's surgury, she would freak out.She would pace and meow this God aweful cry that would break your heart.
(Since his surgury, we are not allowed to have ANY cats/ferrets,hampsters,etc with a strong ammonia smell in the house.)
She is so much happier being outside.We do lock her up at night in the garage-- most nights.
I love my cat as much as anyone else does.Just because she is an outside cat, doesn't mean I love her any less.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you, Mooficat and AbbysMom.

I don't often talk about the fact that my cats have access to the outdoors, because of the prevailing climate of disapproval of the practice.

I wouldn't for a moment suggest that it's wrong to keep cats indoors, because I am not in a position to judge anyone else's circumstances and location. You have to make your own decision, based on those factors, and I trust you to do it with the best interests of your cat(s) in mind.

All I ask is the same tolerance in return. Only I can judge my circumstances and location. And, like Mooficat, I have lost a cat and know the anguish of it, but also like Mooficat, I see that as a single tragic occurrence, and not justification to restrict every other cat.

FWIW, my current cats are 6,6,and 8, and with the exception of the little lost one, everyone else has lived long and healthy -- at least into their teens, one to 21 -- and died of causes unrelated to their access to the outdoors.

Peace.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I understand that Europe and Australia let their cats outside. But how are we to address the issues of in or out when people come in here and ask "should I?".

In the US its strongly recommended to keep cats inside at all times and most breeders insist on it too. So if we (US) is against it, how do you come across telling the person how you feel.

IMO its far too many dangers outside. And I don't understand WHY a shelter in England would not adopt out if you don't let the cat outside. Cats do NOT have to go outside - its your decision. What about those in England that live in apartments - shelters don't adopt to those people?
Most of it also has to do with the pet education.

The RSPCA have 'guidelines' on the needs of a cat, their guidelines for whether you choose a cat as a pet are:
The right pet for you?
Cats are very clean and make good companions for many people. But they can damage carpets and furniture with their claws and may not always want to be stroked and handled. What do cats need?
  • Companionship - to be with other cats or people for at least part of the day.
  • A balanced diet - make sure there are no bones in your cat's food.
  • A constant supply of fresh, clean water.
  • A garden or safe place to play and exercise every day, away from busy roads.
  • Somewhere warm and cosy to sleep.
  • To be brushed regularly, particularly when shedding their coats. Long-haired cats need to be brushed every day.
  • A scratching post.
  • Help to clean their teeth. You can brush or rub their teeth with special toothpaste. They also need to have their teeth checked regularly by the vet.
  • To come and go as they please - a cat flap is ideal.
  • To be trained to use a litter tray.
  • To be microchipped in case they get lost.
  • Cat neutering should be carried out as early as possible in order to avoid unwanted litters. Most cats are sexually mature at six months, but some cats can become pregnant as early as five months. Therefore, the ideal age to neuter your cat is between four and five months.
  • To be taken to a vet if they are ill or injured.
  • Injections to prevent certain serious diseases.
  • Worming and regular flea treatments.
  • To be looked after when you are away on holiday.
I checked my local Cat's Protection site and they still say that unless the cat has 'special needs' they will rehome to outdoor homes only and have 'a few' older and special needs cats that can be homed in apartments / flats.

When it is a group as big as the RSPCA, other arguments will not, for a lot of people, stand up against it

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

I don't often talk about the fact that my cats have access to the outdoors, because of the prevailing climate of disapproval of the practice.

I wouldn't for a moment suggest that it's wrong to keep cats indoors, because I am not in a position to judge anyone else's circumstances and location. You have to make your own decision, based on those factors, and I trust you to do it with the best interests of your cat(s) in mind.

All I ask is the same tolerance in return. Only I can judge my circumstances and location. And, like Mooficat, I have lost a cat and know the anguish of it, but also like Mooficat, I see that as a single tragic occurrence, and not justification to restrict every other cat.

FWIW, my current cats are 6,6,and 8, and with the exception of the little lost one, everyone else has lived long and healthy -- at least into their teens, one to 21 -- and died of causes unrelated to their access to the outdoors.

Peace.
Great post

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Peace.
Absolutely what she said.

I have two cats, 3 and 5, who go outdoors and I had one who lived to be 16 and died of a vaccine related sarcoma. I get very defensive when someone calls me a bad person when they don't know my circumstances. I am a veterinary health professional and I know what I am doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I try not to be judgemental when the indoor/outdoor thing comes up because I did grow up with an indoor/outdoor cat that lived to be 19 years old. He had a wonderful life HOWEVER, he was hit by a car once and broke his jaw -- luckily he survived. And, one time he disappeared for three days (thank God he came back). I used to think it was cruel to keep a cat indoors but my way of thinking has changed. Even my mother (who I told the story to in my original post) said she would never let a cat outside now-a-days. She told me our cat used to pee in the neighbors sand box and piss off (sorry couldn't resist the pun) the neighbor. And how she swears the other neighbor once kicked our cat.

Though the cat in my original story seems so sweet, I know she makes another neighbor of mine mad because she goes into their yard and drives their indoor cat crazy.

Personally, I think it is fine for kitty to go out as long as it stays on your property. I don't think anyone can argue that you are taking a big risk if you allow your cat to roam the neighborhood.

Also, I think what GoldenKitty said reflects how I feel -- which is -- I would be a nervous wreck knowing my cat was outside somewhere and I didn't where he was.