The great flea debate

szumerspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My DH and I moved into a small cottage with our 2 cats. We discovered multiple cats living under the house and with winter coming were very concerned for their safety. We didn't want to call animal control because they would be euthanized, so I researched online on how to build a shelter and we kept food out on both porches. They are now to the point where they lounge on the porches and greet us for "pets" when we come and go.

The problem now is: we brought fleas to our indoor cats! I didn't even know this could happen, never having dealt with fleas ever. I've looked into what to do to for the outdoor cats and the indoor ones. The question is about the house specifically.

My husband is adamant that we bomb the whole house. I feel like we should try treating the furniture first. We live in a small cottage with all hardwoods and literally 4 pieces of furniture that has material and an area rug. My concern is that with a bomb we will have to clean every surface in the house after to make it safe for our cats, when we only have a few places that could actually harbor fleas.

Since neither of us have experience in this area we agreed to go with the advice of people who do have experience
If you were in this position, what would you do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
How bad is the flea infestation in the house? It's likely you can get away WITHOUT bombing the house since you do not have carpet and minimal furniture.

First, you must treat your indoor cats.

First, I recommend giving them a CapStar pill (you can buy a single dose for each cat at your vet). This will kill all adult fleas on the cats within 12 hours. My experience is that it works much quicker than this and fleas start dying within minutes.

Second, get a topical flea medication. I personally like Advantage II, but Frontline, Frontline Plus, Advantage Multi, and Revolution are all safe products to use.
DO NOT USE HARTZ OR SEARGEANTS PRODUCTS

Apply the topical meds the day after you give the CapStar. This will take care of new hatching adult fleas. **Advantage II and Frontline Plus** treat all life stages of the flea, including egg/larvae. The others just address the Adult stage.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Next for the house, vacuum, vacuum, vacuum!! Wash anything you can in hot water, including all pet beds/blankets.

Virbac makes a flea spray to be used in the home (not directly on pets) that works really well. I do not remember the name, but your vet can help you with this.

There are several members here that use *food grade* Diatomaceous Earth to treat/control fleas. It can be sprinkled on furniture and on pet beds and then vacuumed up. One must be careful not to breath in the dust, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

szumerspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Actually I haven't seen any fleas in the house or been bitten. I'm just assuming that since I'm seeing them on the cats, then the house must be treated as well. It's very very early, I've only seen 1 or 2 on the cats.

I will follow all the steps you have provided. Thank you again!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, if you're only seeing them on the cats, I would NOT suggest bombing the house. You very likely just need to treat the cats (use the topical for a minimum of 3 months; but, year round may be needed in your situation. Certainly won't hurt to give everything a good wash and do some extra vacuuming. When vacuuming, make sure to take the vacuum outside to either dump the canister or dispose of the bag.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

szumerspirit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I absolutely will. And I've gotten stuff to treat the yard and outdoor strays (if they are still strays since they've adopted us, lol) so this will remain under control in the future.

Thank you so much for your responses

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found an email about this product in my inbox this morning: http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produ...email&utm_campaign=epm-041416-ded-ticktagV3-p.  This is supposed to be a collar tag that repels fleas and ticks for one year, with no danger to pets or humans.  Normally $60, currently on sale for $50.

I've no idea whether this works; maybe someone else on the site has tried it?  If it does work, it seems that it would be quite useful in places where fleas are a major problem, and a good deal cheaper than the spot on remedies.

As for the outdoor cats -- I recommend planting lavender in your garden or around the edge of your property.  Fleas seem to be repelled by the scent, so it might give the local ferals a little bit of relief.

Margret

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My DH and I moved into a small cottage with our 2 cats. We discovered multiple cats living under the house and with winter coming were very concerned for their safety. We didn't want to call animal control because they would be euthanized, so I researched online on how to build a shelter and we kept food out on both porches. They are now to the point where they lounge on the porches and greet us for "pets" when we come and go.

The problem now is: we brought fleas to our indoor cats! I didn't even know this could happen, never having dealt with fleas ever. I've looked into what to do to for the outdoor cats and the indoor ones. The question is about the house specifically.

My husband is adamant that we bomb the whole house. I feel like we should try treating the furniture first. We live in a small cottage with all hardwoods and literally 4 pieces of furniture that has material and an area rug. My concern is that with a bomb we will have to clean every surface in the house after to make it safe for our cats, when we only have a few places that could actually harbor fleas.

Since neither of us have experience in this area we agreed to go with the advice of people who do have experience
If you were in this position, what would you do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Many years ago I had an infestation of fleas. I called the exterminator man, put the cats with the vet for the day and had the house sprayed and then closed for a few hours. Once went to work. Came home, deflead the cats at the vet and that was that. Of course you'll have to deflea all the outside cats too.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't matter if you can't see them; only 5% of fleas are on the pet, the rest will be in the environment.

I don't like bombs, but you might buy a can of Precor 2000. It's a little like a bomb, only you have more control,

I like the idea of the Capstar, and yes, all the cats will need deflead as well as tapeworm meds. Your yard will need treated too, but I've no advice on what works best, I just know it'll need treated.

You can go chem free on upholstered furniture if you are willing to take precautions with Cimexa dust. You must buy a duster and use a mask or respirator, and get into all the cracks and crevices on your upholstery, but it works well, and lasts pretty much for years. Downside is its scarily dusty, even in tiny amounts, and can aggravate athsma.

I've used the Precor and Cimexa and really love both products, and you can buy them at Amazon or domyownpestcontrol.com

Last edited: