the great escape!

louiseg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 6 month old kitty is DESPERATE to get outside! Every time a door is opened she bolts towards it and tries to escape. we just had her desexed and are waiting until our 4 month old gets desexed before we let them out together. tonight my fiancè's brother opened the front door and she bolted out and across the road and wouldnt come back....it took 5 of us to hunt her down...all holding kitty treats lol any help on how to at least try and keep her around our front/back yards without using fencing or out door

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louiseg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Or outdoor enclosures?? We dont have a lot of mone....i doubt she will use the backyard as our pup is there. we live next door to a park and are worried someone will pick her up or do harm to her...not to mention getting run over by crossing the road....HELP!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be best if you could keep them inside all the time. Cars are the number 1 enemy of outdoor cats, in my opinion.  It will be hard at first, but they will eventually settle down and be content inside, if they are not let out or escape too many times.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Or outdoor enclosures?? We dont have a lot of mone....i doubt she will use the backyard as our pup is there. we live next door to a park and are worried someone will pick her up or do harm to her...not to mention getting run over by crossing the road....HELP!
I am surprised that with the dangers you mention, you are planning on letting them outside soon. We also live across the street from a small park, and there are so many cars coming and going as well as lots of dogs (not all on leashes). I never let my cat out anymore even though she was allowed out at our old house until a neighbor's dog attacked her. She was not happy at first, but she adjusted and never even tries to go outside anymore. It probably helps that she can hear dogs barking occasionally and knows it's not safe.

louiseg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally would leave them in....i have two cqts, the other is nearly 5 months and isnt fussed about going out....but the other is insistant on going out...she's escaped 3 times since my last post. we just cant afford an outdoor enclosure! She has the crazy cat eyes wanting to get out lol any suggestions?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If an outdoor enclosure is not an option, then I think you have two choices because I don't know how you would keep them near your house without one. You can either let them out and hope no harm comes to them, or you can be diligent about making sure they don't get out at all. There are lots of way to prevent door dashing. You would also need to tell visitors about being careful. You can put them in a different room when you have visitors. It's been my experience that they will eventually stop trying to get out if you are consistent about it.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could also put a note on the door "Please don't let the cat get out". Clear any hiding spaces close to the door, always count noses before you open it, hold a piece of cardboard or an open newspaper by your legs before you open the door, throw a toy the other way first, etc.  You have to outsmart a door-dasher, and they can be very persistent.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One other suggestion for the cat who wants out, maybe you could harness/leash train her and take her for walks? It would be a safer way for her to enjoy the outdoors.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you said you can not afford an enclosure, but perhaps an inexpensive screen door? You could also keep a tin can with some coins inside near the door, shake it when she tries to come to the door, this may teach her that going near the door is not fun. Does she have perches near any windows she can see outside from? This could satisfy her enough to stay in if she could watch the world from a window.

louiseg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a couch that she loves sitting on and looking out into the backyard as well as always having free range of looking through the window into the front yard. i have tried soooo many times to try and get her to walk on a leed but she just collapses to the floor and wont move lol