The Great Escape of MoMo the Manx. Day 53?

Hurricanewray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello fellow cat lovers šŸ’•

Our Cat, MoMo, escaped near Christmas time and hadnā€™t been fixed yet. She was gone 3-4 days and in thought she was a goner for sure. We got notice that a neighbor had found her on Christmas Eve. (Best gift ever!) I didnā€™t think that she could be pregnant because I hadnā€™t noticed any symptomsā€¦.. until a couple weeks ago. I feel like Iā€™m getting kinda mixed signals with her symptoms. Her mammary tissue is slightly enlarged. It feels almost linear along her nipple line. The ones near her rear are the largest and have the largest balding area. The ones closest to her head are the smallest, but they produce a milky discharge when pinched. The nipples are definitely not at large as Iā€™ve seen in some of the photos on this website, nor have they changed much since I first noticed. She had one extremely obvious heat cycle and I donā€™t know that sheā€™s had another. She is also losing hair around her vulva and had a very small amount of clear-ish discharge today. We have dogs and MoMo has been more territorial about them being close to going under the bed. (Iā€™ve looked - no kittens or nest.) She really seemed to have that ā€œburroā€ shape, but doesnā€™t as much anymore. Her abdomen is supple. I wouldnā€™t call it super firm or super soft. One day I couldā€™ve sworn I felt a kitten move and now Iā€™m second guessing if sheā€™s pregnant at all. I know the best advice is going to the vet. Iā€™d like to avoid that unless I feel as though she is ill so that I have extra funds on hand for when the kittens may or may not be born. Pics of our cute MoMo from today.ā¤
IMG_6118.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hurricanewray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Time will tell if Momo is or is not about to become a Mama . . .
Yeahā€¦ Iā€™m feeling kind of impatient and unsure. The only other time Iā€™ve had a momma cat, the pregnancy was way more obvious by this stage. I wasnā€™t sure if a Manx might have a different appearance due to their structure. Or maybe appearing smaller with a small litter? It would be her first.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I Googled ā€œpregnancy test strips for cats,ā€ and lo, there are many! :oops: How you get cat pee on a test strip is beyond me. But I think itā€™s sorta fun to wait and see what happens, sorta like Jiffy Pop! ā¤

Hurricanewray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I Googled ā€œpregnancy test strips for cats,ā€ and lo, there are many! :oops: How you get cat pee on a test strip is beyond me. But I think itā€™s sorta fun to wait and see what happens, sorta like Jiffy Pop! ā¤
I saw them online and I was wondering how the heck to get them to pee on them too. Wild.

Hurricanewray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She sounds pregnant! Keep us posted!
We're somewhere between day 57-60 given the time frame she had escaped. We have quite a few other animals. I've made an area in a more secluded bathroom with a nesting box, a bed, food, water, litterbox, etc. I'm wondering when would be the appropriate time to seclude her to the area? She's still eating and there are no signs of "active labor"

Hurricanewray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In a few days perhaps, when she begins to show vaginal discharge and act somewhat differently. Most cats go between 63-68 days to labor, keep a close eye and keep us posted. Itā€™s good you are prepared!

We're somewhere between day 62-65 from the time period she was outside. Her mammaries feel huge but her tummy not as big as I thought she would get. She's still eating. Starting to wonder what the actual heck is going on. Giving it a few more days before consulting the vet.

Hurricanewray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the input. I've been really excited to have kittens even though it was not the plan. I'd be a little bummed if it turned out she wasn't pregnant. I keep going back and forth on if she's just small, or in heat, or I don't even know. Would her mammaries stay enlarged for over 3 weeks if it were just her being in heat? I'm not enjoying the waiting game at all. šŸ˜«

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for the input. I've been really excited to have kittens even though it was not the plan. I'd be a little bummed if it turned out she wasn't pregnant. I keep going back and forth on if she's just small, or in heat, or I don't even know. Would her mammaries stay enlarged for over 3 weeks if it were just her being in heat? I'm not enjoying the waiting game at all. šŸ˜«
Yeah, false pregnancy happens sometimes... Very difficult to know the difference, unless you are experienced.

One of our "dau-in-law" was expecting, we waited anxiously counting days, for the outcome, and the day of the expected delivery, the owner phones and asks about next mating - this was a false pregnancy...

Hurricanewray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's almost acting like she's in heat but with less howling meows. She's rolling around a lot and chirping. We're on day 63-65 šŸ˜¬ Her mammaries seem bigger than yesterday too. Her lady bits seem enlarged and look like there's some discharge happening. Alas, no kittens yet. Her belly feels firm but I can't palpate any definitive form or feel movement. It's all very perplexing for this newbie.

Hurricanewray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_7128.jpeg

This discharge was a bit more reddish brown when I first wiped get but it looks like it could be the mucous plug?

Hurricanewray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. We've now got clearish mucous discharge. Apologies for the crappy pics. Did her water break or are we still doing mucous plug?
IMG_7132.jpeg
IMG_7130.jpeg

Hurricanewray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks like normal pre or early labor discharge. Sheā€™s very close. Are you seeing any contractions yet? They will look like ripples down her sides.

H Hurricanewray
Yes! Definitely seeing some of the ripples fur sure! I think the weirdest thing is that most people say they can see/feel the kittens move inside their queens and I cannot say with 100% certainty that I have. It has me feeling uneasy.