the Furminator, anybody?

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Furminators ARE wonderful tools, yes...have I as a prof. dog\\cat groomer broken down and bought one yet? No... IF it were used on a weekly basis, then I could see it doing some good; but for the 'once' time grooming that I do, nothing will get rid of all the coat a dog will be shedding out. Even when used weekly, however, I have seen this tool cause dry irritated, red skin on pets, it can break, rather than 'strip out' some coats; it can also cause overgrooming...er...bald spots...especially on cats. I'm not saying it's a horrible tool, because it's not, but I probably would not pay the insane amount of $$$ for what I consider a "glorified stripping knife". Sooo...that said...if you get one, please have a groomer show you proper technique with this tool; as has been mentioned, it's not like other brushes, so learning how to use it properly is important for your pet's health.

I have found that the old standby Zoomgroom tools to be fantastic everyday deshedding tools myself; the ones with the smaller, closer together 'teeth' are the best. Even on my shorthaired cats, these work wonders...if I remember to do this daily, that is...Lol!!! Not only are these a tool that is hard to overgroom with, they do not irritate the skin, or damage the coat, but I have yet to find a cat that dislikes being 'zoomed'! That, and regular baths to loosen dead coat and skin, help keep my kitty household somewhat 'shed free'...hahaha...

krussell3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really liked mine but think that it gives split ends so I am going to stop using it.