The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get fortified cereals, @JTbo
?  That might help.  OJ has loads of potassium in it, but some of us sweat more than others.
I don't know if that would help, I have felt really really tired last days and after I eat often have to lie down or even have a nap.

Then I started thinking some common things and I found out that every time when I eat wheat or rye, I start to get tired.

I put everything I have eat into spreadsheet and found out that without knowing I have been following loosely Atkins diet, but now I have had to move into more what our official diet is, that is 60-65% carbon hydrates 15% of proteins and rest being fat, getting tired matches to dietary changes.

Then I started to think back a bit, last summer I felt quite great, but then i had no grain diet without me realizing it.

This all and some other things lead me to think that it has something to do with grain products, maybe I have glutamate intolerance or whatever that is called where one eating grain has effects of non eating at all.

Problem is then that with grain based diet I can get my daily food for less than 2 euros, but other diets are going close to 5 euros per day, which is way more than I can afford.

I can't even dream from cereals any more, I have to try to get needed calories with smallest amount of cost possible, also if I have to stay away from grain products in future I have no idea how I can meet my calorie demands.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The island is insane today.  I woke up late so instead of a run I went to the store on my bike, then a 44 min bike ride over 7.5 mi.  I had to use the street a lot since people were parking on the bike path due to not enough parking at the beach.  I got some good peddling in by the airport in a strong, hot headwind.  I was pouring with sweat when I got home.  Then again, it is 89 F right now (the "feels like" is 94).  Better than yesterday where it was over 90 and the "feels like" was 99.  Needless to say, I stayed in yesterday and had a rest day.

I wish I knew of something to help @JTbo.  Eggs and milk are good sources of protein for cheap, but I'm not so sure it could come in at the budget you're looking at.  Any dairy is considered complete.  Beans and peanut butter are great too, but to properly balance them you need grains generally.  I hope you find a workable solution.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The island is insane today.  I woke up late so instead of a run I went to the store on my bike, then a 44 min bike ride over 7.5 mi.  I had to use the street a lot since people were parking on the bike path due to not enough parking at the beach.  I got some good peddling in by the airport in a strong, hot headwind.  I was pouring with sweat when I got home.  Then again, it is 89 F right now (the "feels like" is 94).  Better than yesterday where it was over 90 and the "feels like" was 99.  Needless to say, I stayed in yesterday and had a rest day.

I wish I knew of something to help @JTbo
.  Eggs and milk are good sources of protein for cheap, but I'm not so sure it could come in at the budget you're looking at.  Any dairy is considered complete.  Beans and peanut butter are great too, but to properly balance them you need grains generally.  I hope you find a workable solution.
Oh yes, I can imagine how your Island will be around ID, chaotic for sure :D

So hot in there, we had temps around 50 this week, lots of rain, and during nights it was below 40, this is warmest month of whole year and they call it being a summer! Luckily it started to warm a bit yesterday and temps did go to bit more normal, but highest temps still remained far below 70. Can't really imagine doing much with temps you are having :D

I have found out that without grain products I would need to spend more than twice to food and for example with potatoes I would need to eat well over 2 pounds of them with less than 0.5 pounds of meat. Dairy is something I can't use, same with eggs, which is limiting my options quite much and exercising increases calorie demands so that I would need to eat even more, some ridiculous amounts really.

Fish and chicken being too expensive and even red meat being really at the edge and in coming months being out of reach, maybe I should try cat food, they seem to like it, some even climb over other to get their share of wet food, some even climb on my shoulder to have better position, so it must be really yummy :D

Now I go to do some bicycling, I try to learn to climb steep hills better today, need to learn proper gears for pedaling while standing etc. Oh yes, it is 4 am, perfect time for biking :)

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, that was quite hectic, 24km biking, that took 1.5 hours, then neighbor needed help with some logs and I biked 2 x 4km, also lifted logs for 4 hours.

So today's energy consumption will be 7000kcal with about 5000kcal burned.

Also I did overtook a tractor, managed to reach new max heart rate of 174 and tested my recovery heart rate which is 53.

You can test recovery heart rate by instructions told here http://www.med-health.net/Recovery-Heart-Rate.html

Those ranges are quite wide, not sure which end of range I should use or if that even does matter, but I worked so that heart rate was 140, then I waited 2 minutes and had heart rate of 87.

It was quite exhausting day today as all of my biking and log lifting I did with 85% of max heart rate or more, but I'm amazed how hard I can workout.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ran 5 min 4X, total 20 min. 

Good job JTbo!  Maybe that's a thought, maybe neighbors can help with food.  When I had a farm with some chickens, I had way more eggs than I could begin to use.  So I gave them to neighbors.  My neighbors would give me beef (they raised beef), send me home with bread, pies, and various meals thanking me for the farm fresh eggs.  Maybe you could arrange something.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ran 5 min 4X, total 20 min. 

Good job JTbo!  Maybe that's a thought, maybe neighbors can help with food.  When I had a farm with some chickens, I had way more eggs than I could begin to use.  So I gave them to neighbors.  My neighbors would give me beef (they raised beef), send me home with bread, pies, and various meals thanking me for the farm fresh eggs.  Maybe you could arrange something.
We have something similar around here and I probably will get some of oat flour as that should be something I can use even if I would have issues with gluten or wheat.

Today I did took longer route to shop, it has many hills and it is road which has surface almost like a beach sand.

So I rode 14.5km and burned 882kcal in process. I took it quite slow, max heart rate was 133bpm while average was 109bpm, but still I did reach bit over 70km/h at downhill. There is actually a school and limit is 40km/h but there is no activity on Sunday, also at highest speed point tarmac becomes loose crushed stone, so it is bit exciting to ride that on full blast, maybe I could of gone even faster, but I took it slow as it is recovery day.

There is also intersection to right middle of left turn where I need to turn, at that point I have usually around 40km/h and there is kind of jump because left turn is banked and road from intersection is deep downhill again, it tickles inside a belly when doing that at those speeds, there is bit of air time too and of course speed increases again quite fast, bit later there is again right turn, but that is bit tighter, I usually have around 30km/h speed there, it is quite soft sand there so speed does decrease quite fast.

There was one old lady near the intersection to school, she did have her mouth open as she turned her head as I zoomed past at that 70km/h, I'm not sure why, but I had bit of bad hair day, I'm sure everyone is riding fast there :D

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, sounds fun JTbo!

I biked for my groceries, then went out on a 9.1 mi bike ride in 49 min.  I should have run, but I really like riding my bike and did that instead.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good work you guys!!!

This is my rest week. Rohan is coming to my place on Thursday to go over my routine for the following six weeks. My husband took some photos for me so I could see if there was a difference. I am no Miss Olympia YET!! There are changes though. I'm looking forward to getting back into it on Monday.

Keep going everybody.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Well done! :clap:

With the exception of Friday, when it was torrential rain, I've been walking 4-6 miles every day. :)

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too hot, I did try to do bit of bicycling but managed to do only 10km at very low speed. Even I did start at 9am it was too hot already, 84F with 40% humidity during the day and 70F with 60% humidity at the morning, I feel like melting, barely could move today when I did go outdoors.

Below 60F with low humidity would be more than enough for me, at least when there are things to be done :D

Forecast is two weeks of the same, perhaps I need to wake up 3am to be able to exercise.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good grief, I biked 7.7 mi in 41 min.  It took 41 min due to no matter what direction I was going, I was in a head wind.  Everyone I passed had this almost concerned look on their face when I'd ride by.  I probably looked like I was going to die, LOL!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good grief, I biked 7.7 mi in 41 min.  It took 41 min due to no matter what direction I was going, I was in a head wind.  Everyone I passed had this almost concerned look on their face when I'd ride by.  I probably looked like I was going to die, LOL!
Headwind is annoying, but I find it becomes a lot more manageable with some additional handle bars, as you can see in my bike there are kind of 'horns':

I found this great calculator page, https://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/cycling-zone-calc.asp

I can get watts from this calculator http://bikecalculator.com/index.html

Using map and my gps logs I can then get needed data for calculator and then I can use that other calculator to get some targets.

Also I get Watts / kg rates, which are much worse than I had thought, for 5 minutes 2.48W/kg and for 20minutes 1.71W/kg, from 20minute value it is possible to estimate 60min value by multiplying 1.71 with 0.85 so my 60min wattage is only 1.45W/kg, which is really poor, I have too much weight and I'm still way too weak. Some 3W/kg in 60minute test would be in cycling enthusiast range. Those top guys get well past 5W/kg.

I did manage to ride today a bit but it was so hot, 35km/h average speed over 4km, top speed of 55km, for other direction I did go slowly so average speed was only 24km/h over that 8km that I rode, but at least there is room to improve and great gains to be gained :D

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL JTbo, I was leaned over but the wind still got me!

Great job everybody!  And I don't blame you Winchester for starting slow.  Every single time I jump into a workout head first I get hurt.  And oh yes Tammat, I drink a LOT of water.  I take calcium, magnesium, and potassium too since I'm such a heavy sweater.

Ran 5 min 4X, totaling 20 min. 

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I biked 7.6 mi today in 41 min.  My legs felt like heavy bricks today, but I wanted to still get some riding in since it is supposed to rain this weekend.  My bike is still too new for me to get real dirty yet, and it lives in the house with me (bike theft is huge here).

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone's back. yay!! Good work everyone. :clap:

I saw my Dr yesterday for a check up. I've been taking an antidepressant for a few years now. It's not very effective unless I run and because I haven't been running as much for a few months my seretonin levels are dropping. Drs orders are cardio three times a week.
I went for a slow 20 min jog yesterday. I've mapped out a little route for me that takes 20 mins and has no dogs that scare me. This doesn't really work in with my new programme but I guess it just has to. I'm not supposed to do extra exercise because I am supposed to save all my energy for weight lifting.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
20 min jog for me again. It's a cold day, it rained but I wore a jacket and now I'll feel warm for the rest of the day :D

Status
Not open for further replies.