The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I foolishly asked Rohan if I should add a few sprints into my jog today. He said to go to an oval and mark it into quarters then jog half and sprint a quarter, jog half, sprint a quarter for 20 mins. I woke up this morning with sore calves and I thought I would go to my pretty lake and run. I really miss that. I put my running shorts on for the first time in 4 weeks and my legs were firmer :clap:
I marched straight to that oval and I gave it my best. By the end I was moaning and carrying on but I did it! And when it was over I felt fabulous!!
Keep going everybody:clap: :clap:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Wow! So much good exercise going on in here. :clap: I haven't had much time to post in the Lounge lately. :anon:

Pam, i really hope the foot feels better soon. :hugs:

I've been walking more now that the weather is getting better and usually doing 4 miles. I've also been getting going on the yard work. Nothing for me yesterday because I was out all day, plus we had a lot of rain and lightning. Today is is crazy windy. I'll see if it dies down a bit by this afternoon.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fartlek, Tammat?  I hear those are fun.  I can't wait until I can start incorporating them into my workouts.  And yes, Bulgarian split squats are tough.

I took yesterday off.  Doing day shift is very hard on me, it doesn't fit with my circadian rhythm.  I'm a night owl.  So now I fall asleep early evening and wake up at midnight.  Ugh!  I ran this morning 36:44, 2.9 mi.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fartlek, Tammat?  I hear those are fun.  I can't wait until I can start incorporating them into my workouts.  And yes, Bulgarian split squats are tough.

I took yesterday off.  Doing day shift is very hard on me, it doesn't fit with my circadian rhythm.  I'm a night owl.  So now I fall asleep early evening and wake up at midnight.  Ugh!  I ran this morning 36:44, 2.9 mi.
Fartlek? Yes I tend to fart - lek when I do some exercises!!!:flail:

I haven't heard that word but I will look it up. I did think of you Peaches. It was good to try something different. You are going great with your running. It took me so long to build up to longer times. Keep going girl.

Today I did shoulders and abs.

Keep going everybody. You are awesome. :clap:

Last edited:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
7 hours non stop kind of aerobic, running 15 meters to one direction, lift 1-10kg 1-6 meters long flexible objects over my head to trailer that was at shoulder height, then run 15 meters to other direction and cross three knee height kind of hurdles, rolling and pulling/pushing up to 400kg heavy logs.

Pulse was at times over 140 and I was sweating a lot despite light clothing, I don't think pulse were below 110 at any point.

Arms are blue as those logs were so heavy that when I lifted them they caused blue marks to appear on my arms.

See?

I think there should be a rule that it should be impossible to get such if one is just moving a log of wood :D

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got my hinny on my exercise bike today - first time this week. 30 minutes and it felt so good, must get back to doing this at least 3x a week.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL Tammat!  I think Fartlek is Swedish for "speed play" and basically is interval running.  It builds up endurance I believe.  For now, I'm just thrilled that I can run.  Today I ran 34:40 and 2.9 mi.  I almost didn't run since my ankles and feet are so stiff from yesterday's clinical, but after some aspirin and coffee I made myself do it.  I'm glad that I did.

Ouch, JTbo!  I can't imagine doing that level of physical exercise.  Go JTbo!

God for you Pat that you got back on the bike.  For some reason, 3 days/week exercise is too hard for me to stick to.  There's something about those 2 days in a row of rest that can turn into more days and then weeks of rest.  Maybe 4 days a week wil help you make exercise a habit?  Even if one of those days is an easy day, just making it an exercise day might help cement the habit for you.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouch, JTbo!  I can't imagine doing that level of physical exercise.  Go JTbo!
I did today few hours more, got one log dropped on my shin, which hurt a bit, but I have no idea how I did manage to get bleeding scratches to other arm and some skin peeled off from another. It was hot weather (+15C) so I had only t-shirt and light trousers instead of protective clothing.

I have no idea how much calories that activity burns, but it is about twice as hard as bicycling at 15km/h average speed.

Best bit of that 'workout' is that I get little bit of money out from it, so can't get much better than that :D

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting paid to "work out" is a great bonus!  Keep those scratches clean and dry. 

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I did today few hours more, got one log dropped on my shin, which hurt a bit, but I have no idea how I did manage to get bleeding scratches to other arm and some skin peeled off from another. It was hot weather (+15C) so I had only t-shirt and light trousers instead of protective clothing.

I have no idea how much calories that activity burns, but it is about twice as hard as bicycling at 15km/h average speed.

Best bit of that 'workout' is that I get little bit of money out from it, so can't get much better than that
Hi JTbo,

that arm looks very bruised, but sometimes I get bruises and never even feel them at the time.  They just show up later, and I wonder what I ran into.

Here is a wiki link to help get rid of them faster.  But I have never tried the vinegar treatment before...so don't really know. (since you live in the country, I am sure you have, or know of, great herbal remedies from grass, weeds, flowers, and plants.  My mom's friend really likes to use a plant that actually burns when applied to skin, but is okay when cooked.....I think its called stinging nettle....but don't go anywhere near it...because it caused me to have a red rash...for days.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Bruise-Go-Away-Faster

Oh, and making money while working out is fantastic. (I also think that you visiting on elderly neighbours is awesome, too.)

.....  For some reason, 3 days/week exercise is too hard for me to stick to.  There's something about those 2 days in a row of rest that can turn into more days and then weeks of rest.  Maybe 4 days a week wil help you make exercise a habit?  Even if one of those days is an easy day, just making it an exercise day might help cement the habit for you.
I am thinking that 3 times per week is also not enough for me, now either, to make a habit.  So will be doing one day of exercise over weekend, too.  

I will be increasing time as @JTbo mentioned....since was told in high school that "no pain is no gain".....don't really want any pain.....but just enough to feel that my muscles are getting stronger and doing something.

My routine now, is not very aggressive, since still tentative....in starting......but after hearing about all those painful posts in shins, arm bruises, bulgarian squats.....I better just push the envelope to get to a better level.

keep up the good work, everyone, and thanks for the motivational posts.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi JTbo,
that arm looks very bruised, but sometimes I get bruises and never even feel them at the time.  They just show up later, and I wonder what I ran into.:dk:

Here is a wiki link to help get rid of them faster.  But I have never tried the vinegar treatment before...so don't really know. (since you live in the country, I am sure you have, or know of, great herbal remedies from grass, weeds, flowers, and plants.  My mom's friend really likes to use a plant that actually burns when applied to skin, but is okay when cooked.....I think its called stinging nettle....but don't go anywhere near it...because it caused me to have a red rash...for days.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Bruise-Go-Away-Faster

Oh, and making money while working out is fantastic. (I also think that you visiting on elderly neighbours is awesome, too.)
I am thinking that 3 times per week is also not enough for me, now either, to make a habit.  So will be doing one day of exercise over weekend, too.  

I will be increasing time as @JTbo mentioned....since was told in high school that "no pain is no gain".....don't really want any pain.....but just enough to feel that my muscles are getting stronger and doing something.

My routine now, is not very aggressive, since still tentative....in starting......but after hearing about all those painful posts in shins, arm bruises, bulgarian squats.....I better just push the envelope to get to a better level.

keep up the good work, everyone, and thanks for the motivational posts.:clap:
I tend to just ignore all those bruises and minor cuts, well once I noticed that sock feels getting wet, as I looked down, sock was soaked wet from blood that was escaping from my foot, I did remember that I did hit my foot in garage, thing I did not realize was that I did hit my foot to sharpened blade that I use to cut branches out for felled trees.

There will be some soreness in muscles even at very light level, if one does it long, but for me there has not been much lately, somehow I'm not getting as long and as hard exercises now than bit over month ago, but after today's workout there might be some tomorrow.

9 hours of picking up firewood, transferring them to new location and then again, also some chopping of firewood, I was sweating whole time even there was only +15C and I had again t-shirt and no any kind of jacket or such.

Not very heavy, but it surely took a long time to get all those transferred to storage so that I can now chop more firewood and put them to drying platforms. I wonder if this chopping will ever be ready, I still need to chop a lot more, barely half done now.

My feet are like on fire, they have never coped well for walking and standing, but maybe if I ignore this pain long enough they will learn that standing and walking whole day should be possible.

horserider101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did 40 minutes of weights today legs and abs then did an hour of cardio 40 minutes on the stair master they are liket never ending stairs and 20 minutes walking on the treadmill at 15 incline I go to retro gym=)

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good exercising everybody :clap: Keep going.

I did chest, biceps and abs today. The most exciting thing was I did a pill up! Woo Hoo! I pulled myself all the way up. I am definitely getting stronger.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ran 26:20 min this morning; I just couldn't do more.  Couldn't breathe.  May go for a long walk this afternoon to make up for it.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walked 51:53 over 3.2 mi in addition to this morning's run.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bit of chainsaw work and few hours of lifting logs, boards and other wood stuff, seems to be that I got pain on my back, arms, shoulders, legs, feet and left arm from elbow to wrist got bit broken as I lifted stuff wrong, after that I could no longer lift with that arm much. I guess I found my limits, again :D

Status
Not open for further replies.