The End of a Era

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I received some very sad news yesterday that my Great Uncle Lou had passed away. He was the last surviving member of my Paternal Grandmothers family. They say he died peacefully in his sleep, which is a blessing, and he did have a good long life he would have been 101 this June.

He was quite the character and one of my favorite people. He and my Great Aunt Glady(whom passed away 4 years ago) were married for 79 years can you believe that. They were married in 1924 when she was 14 and he was 18.
They had 8 children, 2 died as babies, and they had two sons killed in WWII.

He always told the best stories, and literally knew a little bit about everything. He worked as a miner, a logger, and a truck driver and decided at 60 he wanted to be a farmer so did that until he was 84

By the time he and my Aunt Glady's decided the farm was to much gave it to their youngest grandson and moved into a assisted living seniors complex.

When my Aunt passed away 4 years ago it totally devastated Uncle Lou and his health declined very quickly after that and was moved to a chronic care facility.
I actually visited with him just after Christmas and he was the same old Uncle Lou telling stories and jokes but by then was confined to a wheelchair due to vascular problems.

It's hard to imagine the things that he witnessed and the changes he had to make during his lifetime. What amused me about my last visit was when I arrived he was play battle chest on a gameboy.

He is certainly going to be missed.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is nuts how much he has been through. Being married for that long..he would have some good stories.

I'm sorry for your family's loss.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear your great uncle passed away!

When I was young I wished I would have asked my great grandma about her past but we were kids and you don't think of that stuff. I do remember her telling us about carriage rides and raising chickens.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss, my condolences to you and your family.
Uncle Lou sounds like a wonderful man, and I'm sure he will be greatly missed.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im so very sorry for your loss, but it sounds like he will live on in the memories of those who knew him.