The dreaded ringworm

dcfoster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My last foster kittens had ringworm, and I after I finally beat it and got them adopted, I cleaned like a mad person before I got a knew foster. Like a mad person! Anti fungal detergent, bleach, antifungal spray and powder, disnfectant insanity.

But two weeks into my new foster being at my apartment, guess what, bald patch under her chin! Arg!!!

I've been looking at buying a woods lamp to use on my apartment to find out where the hotspots/spores are. Anyone have any advice with this? Done it yourself? There are a lot of models of lamp out there and I want to get one that works.

Thanks.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi

Bare in mind that a black light or woods lamp only occasionally reveals a true positive result, although with your experience with RW its probably pretty obvious to you.  A culture is really the only way to really know.  Just because you had RW in the past doesn't mean that this kitten got it from your apt (although it looks suspicious).  She still could have brought it in herself.

When I've had minor cases of RW in the house, like one lesion, ive treated with lotrimin ointment and let it go at that, but obviously you can do more aggressive treatments.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dcfoster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The shelter I foster for only uses the Woods Lamp, not a test, to diagnose ringworm. I assume it is a budget issue. 

I guess she could have brought it in herself, but I feel like my apartment is the probably the culprit and it can't hurt to get the lamp to do a thorough investigation. It looks like they are less than $100 and I could donate it to the shelter for other fosters to use who have the same issue. I just hope it works because I don't want my next foster to suffer the same fate! My last kitten took months of lime sulfur dips, and they only had one patch as well. Not sure I would feel comfortable just using the cream...