The Dreaded Christmas Tree

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

I hate to say it @betsygee  but I think Ozzy might be looking up at that top branch up there and figures he could be a star.  
    Looks like kitty has a plan and it isn't one where he stays at ground level....  Very brave to put that tree out and then leave it for the kitties to scale, swing about on and generally trash even without decorations going by the way Ozzy's eyeing it up.  
   It is one big, fine tree you have (for now).
I know, we hadn't had a Christmas tree in so many years, I wasn't thinking about the unsupervised cats + inviting-looking tree = disaster equation.  

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Aww, we all learn something new here!  Pusheen is cute, and so is that top with the tail!  
My DD loves Pusheen. I ordered her a plush one for Christmas. The one gift she gets that she won't know about in advance. 

She's just like her dad. Whenever it got close to his birthday or Christmas, he would buy something he wanted then give it to me to wrap (and of course, pay for). My DD just tells me what she wants. Pusheen will be her gift from the cats. The dog got her a cute purse 
  She sorta knows about that one. 

I got her speakers for her computer, a new gaming headset and we're both getting new phones (the Samsung Galaxy 5s). She knows about these. 

Back to the subject of Christmas trees, I have not set one up since DH passed away partly because I haven't been into it. It was something we all did together 
 and partly because we have had the same artificial tree for years and the box is HUGE and very heavy. It's also up at the very top of the shed and I would need a ladder to get it and someone strong to help me get it down without it falling on me and breaking my neck. That's not gonna happen. I was thinking about putting up a real tree for the first time in my life. My parents always had an artificial one and DH and I always did, too. 

Is it better to have a real or fake tree with cats? I would think real would be better. I was thinking about leaving it undecorated with maybe just a star on top to make it safer if(when) they decide to climb it. Is it dangerous for them to climb it if I anchor it to something to keep it from falling over? I think lights are pretty much out of the question since they both like to play with cords. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@Kat0121   Starting fresh with something a little different sounds like a really positive thing for you and your DD to do together.

I have to say that this morning's big event was hilarious:  I came through to the sittingroom with my new fake sapling spruce box - all 2'  / 60cm of it, great ceremony pulling the little tree out and making sure that any fake snow stuff that feel off didnt get hoovered up by Mouse, and then  he ran in to the box!   I should have known!  
      Beasty boy seems to have zero interest in fake trees. 
  I'll post a photo later, I had my camera at the ready expecting to get a picture of him pushing the thing over....    I've even put a few decorations on it including a feather bird and he still hasn't gone near it.  Of course he might be trying to fool me in to a false sense of security so he can destroy it the minute I go out but I don't think so.   I think fake is a safer way to go as the scent from a real tree might prove more attractive.  Mouse usually goes straight for any kind of plant life I bring in.  

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Here you go, my mini tree.  

I am finding this hard to believe.  I think my cat might have had a brain transplant since last year. 

He didn't even leap in to the pile of decorations on the floor, he played on his ca tree for a bit then climbed up on the sofa and lazed the whole afternoon!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm loving all of the trees!

So, I've noticed that all of the cats are more into the tree skirt than the tree. Potato sleeps on it and Moki tries to sleep under it. I've only found one ornament on the floor and I'm not sure who is to blame for it being there. :)