The Dratted Late Again Question Of The Day, Wednesday, Nov 29, 2017

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I really thought I was under control, finally, but I let the phone's battery die, AND NCIS wasn't on last night to remind me to post! Question, question, question...

Are you already decorating for Christmas, or do you do that later in the month of December?

For years, I put up the tree on the day after Thanksgiving, just as my parents did, but I adjusted that this year. Since I'm staying offline on Sundays, I put my decorations up the Sunday after. And the next day, half the neighborhood was decorated!

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't do a whole lot of decorating because the cats get into stuff, but I normally put up a little ceramic tree and put a wreath on my door closer to Christmas. I'm not positive if the tree is going up this year because of the kitten, though.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't put up Christmas decorations since my Dad passed away, however, I do like to hear about what others are putting up. I do have a glass, 12-inch snowglobe, shaped like a Christmas tree that runs on battery and changes color and swirls sparkles throughout. I purchased this at Kohl's two years ago because I thought it would be perfect for Speedy and me. I put it on my dresser and it is really very pretty and magical to watch.
Not really decorating, but I am really excited about my online Jacquie Lawson Advent Calendar that I purchased. Once you activate the calendar, you can play relaxing games, color a gingerbread house, crunch candy! all the while listening to soothing holiday music. Starting Dec. 1 there will be a surprise every day. This is my second year and I hope to do it every year forward. In a way, it is like my Christmas decorations because of all the cozy scenes. :evergreen:

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't do decorations. We live in the country so outside decorations seem frivolous. The cats fixed my desire to do indoor decorations.
I mostly did them for other people in the house anyway.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I put mine up the weekend before Thanksgiving, only because my nieces came by and I wanted them to have something to do to keep them busy. Usually I'd put them up the weekend after

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No decorations. DD doesn't care so there's no point in doing all that work digging everything out, putting it up and then taking it down. Lots of work (for me) with little to no payoff. Plus, if I put a tree up, it would never withstand Hurricane Sophie who would go through it in one day. :thud:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I put most of my tree up the day after Thanksgiving. I need to finish decorating it. Right now it has the unbreakable balls I got when my kids were small, lights and candy canes on it. We put the lights up on our house the weekend before Thanksgiving; but we didn't turn them on until the day after Thanksgiving.

The rest of my house will get done soon. I think I'm still recuperating from the holiday and having all the out of town family around and what not.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Every year I vow to start early enough to have the bins out of the living room Sunday night, and... well, let's just pretend that there aren't 4 bins still waiting to go back into the attic. :crackup:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Started a little bit of decorating with some really pretty lights. The rest usually appear beginning of December, same with the tree.

Traditionally, growing up, my parents and I would put the tree up on Christmas Eve via the Finnish/European tradition. A genuinely lovely one, but after awhile my mom and I wanted the three done earlier - we felt like we couldn't enjoy the tree long enough, the time up was so short. So, started doing that (While still following a blend of Finnish and Canadian traditions just the same :) )

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't decorate for Christmas, or any holidays. that comes from my Mickey :rbheart: and Snick :rbheart: chewing on, swallowing, then vomiting back up the artificial Christmas tree 'needles'. that's when i decided not to decorate for holidays. although, i do enjoy looking at holiday decorations very much! :D

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I decorated the kitchen on Veterans' Day. We did the Tacky White Tree and the living room tree over Thanksgiving weekend. Rick has done some outdoor lighting, but he still wants to do our "palm tree" (lights on a weeping cherry, green for the trunk and red for the leaves). It really looks cute and we've gotten a lot of comments about it. Neighbors have asked us when/if he's doing the palm tree this year because it's not up yet.

We still have to hang the stockings and decorate the living room.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hubby has put wreaths with burgundy bows on the windows across the front of the house. He has to shop today for some replacement lights for the spot lights he puts in the yard to shine on the house. He takes the screens off the windows and uses fishing line to tie the wreaths so they won't blow off and wind up in the fields around us. We are going to do some outdoor lights on the shrubs on either side of the steps/railing going down. I am getting the tree out of the storage area today and getting started on that. We scaled back some and got rid of everything that involved getting on a ladder. That happened after hubby fell 8 ft. from the ladder in 2011 and broke his back.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
First all of the Thanksgiving decorations have to be put away. Normally that would have been done, but I'm sick so they are piled up on my dining room table and porch. As soon as they get put away the Christmas totes come out and I start decorating.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have the lights out on the front railing and will probably start turning them on this weekend. I will start decorating inside the house in the next few days.

And eventually put up the artificial tree, and decorate the top 2/3's with non-breakable ornaments.
The bottom half will remain un-decorated thanks to a little orange cat. :gingercat2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow...I must be really lucky. With the exception of her first Christmas, Hekitty is very good about the tree. NOW, the ornaments on the bottom that dangle, she'll go for, but I use plastic ones and just squeeze the hangar closed so that they don't come off, and she can bat till her heart's content.

but I am really excited about my online Jacquie Lawson Advent Calendar that I purchased
OH MAN! Gots to order mine! I forgot!

We did the Tacky White Tree
LOL, I have actually thought of a white tree since my ornaments are deep midnight blue, teal, and silver, but my younger son had a coniption fit about it (not that he lives with me, or has enough time off to even visit). The ornaments really would be lovely against the white, but Zac said "every time I see one of those white trees, I think, 'Gee, they decorated their toilet brush! How clever!' " I am going to save my pennies and try to get a Balsam Hill tree with flocking next year. Split that difference.

or maybe

but I'm sick
Get better very soon!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a tree with flocking on it and believe me it didn't come from Balsam Hill or any other expensive place, it came from Target. I do like the flocking on trees.