The diet MUST start TODAY.

sbd45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by greenvillegal

Amadeus is down to 22 pounds now. that's 3 pounds in just over a month. I know that's a little much. He lost the most pounds the first week, then slowed to a couple ounces a week so it seems to have evened out now. He's frisky, extra playful, and I can just tell how much happier he already is. And that makes ME happy!!!
I am glad for you and Amadeus. I have one that needs to diet also, and started her on canned Friskies, but I am going to switch to the wellness as it is a better food. Is pouch food as good? What I would like to ask you is did you feed yours one can a day? I have been feeding mine a 5.5 can a day, she is 16 lbs and should be about 12. Thanks

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sbd45

I am glad for you and Amadeus. I have one that needs to diet also, and started her on canned Friskies, but I am going to switch to the wellness as it is a better food. Is pouch food as good? What I would like to ask you is did you feed yours one can a day? I have been feeding mine a 5.5 can a day, she is 16 lbs and should be about 12. Thanks
realize wellness is about 4-6 times the price of friskies ( yes way better food)... the pouches run about 2to 3 time s the price of cans ( ie 5.5 oz can is 1.09-1.25 and a 2.5 to 3 oz pouch is 99cent to 1.25 )

You technically should be feeding double what you are

sbd45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I had bought a bag of Wellness weight control also. I give one can of wet: 1/2 in morning the other 1/2 at 5, then around 9 or 10PM, I give about a 1/4 cup of the dry. Is that alright? She was on Vet perscription O.M. and didn't
loose hardly anything and also looked like she hated it. The reason I asked about the pouch food is that she loves the gravy ones. I have another cat and she likes the wet and also the gravy ones, she doesn't have a problem with her weight. Thanks for taking your time to answer, I just am not sure of how much to feed them safely, so they don't gain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried the pouches. I do the grain free canned foods. It is more expensive but you definitely get what you pay for.

Sharky I am only feeding Amadeus about 6 ounces/day (a little over a 12.5 can between 3 cats, but 2 of them are very petite). Should I be feeding more if he is losing at a healthy rate? I don't want to underfeed him and I thought I was almost feeding too much.

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so the Wellness dry food is recommended for weight loss?

My 2 guys (13 & 14.5 lbs) are 11 months old and I've started to transition them to majority wet food (they're liking the Wellness) for weight loss but I wanted to find a good dry food to complement (an alternative to the Chicken Soup dry that they've been given)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am sure the Wellness dry food is good. I only feed wet and I find that it's great. Don't know if it's the high quality food or the fact that it's wet, but there's a lot less poo and when they do poo it does not smell AT ALL.

sorry I am not more help, Sharky is kinda the expert.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
not an expert per say just research too much

IMHO wet food should be tried for wt loss... much of the more recent studies and data points to this plus a bit of old common sense wet food per oz has about 40% less calories than dry but is more filling ...

IMHO I would add another 6 oz a day and see if the wt loss continue s and the cats still eat it all

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your kitty's weight loss! I'm so glad to know that he's seeming happier.