The Daily Dish Sunday August 8, 2010

tinkermiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay I just thought I would do something fun and a little different than I usually do. Alot of guests that we have for dinner always ask me about the recipes I use. So I just thought I would create "The Daily Dish" and everyday post a list of recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Sometimes I will even do a dessert. Some mornings it may just be a BOWL of cereal sometimes a cooked breakfast. The meal list is one I plan on making that day.

The real reason I wanted to do this is because I am trying to watch what I eat and keep track of everything. So I thought this would be a much funner way to do so.

Breakfast: Fabulous Frosted French Toast
Serves 6

6 eggs
1 1/2 cups skim milk
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 (1 pound) loaf French bread, cut into 3/4 inch slices
1/4 cup butter
1 (8 ounce) package fat-free cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
2 tablespoons frozen whipped topping, thawed

Directions

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and cinnamon. Melt one tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Dip a few bread slices into the egg mixture just to coat. Place in the hot skillet, and cook until golden on each side, about 4 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining slices of bread. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the skillet before frying each batch of toast.
While the toast is cooking, mix cream cheese, 2 tablespoons of sugar, sour cream, and whipped topping using an electric mixer or blender until smooth, yet firm.
Place servings of warm French toast onto plates, and top with a generous dollop of the frosting.

Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 447 | Total Fat: 15.9g | Cholesterol: 237mg

Lunch: Grilled Cheese (very difficult)

Serves 2

4 slices whole wheat bread
3 slices cheddar cheese
2-4 slices tomato
3 tsp. butter

Directions

Preheat skillet over medium heat. Generously butter one side of a slice of bread. Place bread butter-side-down onto skillet bottom and add 1 slice of cheese. Butter a second slice of bread on one side and place butter-side-up on top of sandwich. Grill until lightly browned and flip over; continue grilling until cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining 2 slices of bread, butter and slice of cheese.
Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 400 | Total Fat: 28.3g | Cholesterol: 76mg

Dinner: Italian Lasagna
serves 15 (Tonight we are having a dinner party)

Ingredients

9 thick slices bacon, diced
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
2 (28 ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 pounds Italian sausage
1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
2 pints part-skim ricotta cheese
2 eggs
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/3 cup milk
8 slices provolone cheese
6 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

Brown bacon and onion in a large pan over medium heat. Stir in fennel seed, 1 teaspoon oregano, Italian seasoning, and tomato sauce. Cover, and simmer on low for 4 to 6 hours, or until thick.
Brown sausage links in a large skillet. Drain on paper towels. Cut into 1 inch pieces.
Mix together ricotta cheese, egg, milk, parsley, and 1 teaspoon oregano in a medium bowl.
Layer 1 cup of sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan. Layer with 1/3 uncooked lasagna noodles, 1/2 ricotta cheese mixture, 1/2 sausage pieces, 1/3 mozzarella, and 1/2 provolone cheese. Top with 1/3 sauce. Repeat layers. Top with remaining 1/3 noodles. Spread remaining sauce over the top, and sprinkle with remaining 1/3 mozzarella cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 1/2 hours.

Serve with a garden salad and of course a nice glass of wine

Dessert: Strawberry Shortcake
serves 9

Ingredients

3 pints fresh strawberries
1/2 cup white sugar
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
2 cups whipped heavy cream

Directions

Slice the strawberries and toss them with 1/2 cup of white sugar. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease and flour one 8 inch round cake pan.
In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons white sugar and the salt. With a pastry blender cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg and milk. Stir until just combined.
Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool partially in pan on wire rack.
Slice partially cooled cake in half, making two layers. Place half of the strawberries on one layer and top with the other layer. Top with remaining strawberries and cover with the whipped cream.
Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 382 | Total Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 61mg

So much for my diet today

Feel free to add your meal lists and recipes

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that lasagna sounds good!

I'm throwing a dinner party Saturday and will post the menu when I'm finished with it. I'm on vacation now and it's tough to think about working/cooking again.

I don't know if you want unsolicited advice, but if you are wanting to lose a few pounds (if that's why you are watching what you eat) you will lose faster if you cut out all refined sugars and flours. It seems some fat doesn't make us fat (unless the calories are more than what we are burning), it's the refined stuff that puts on the pounds.

I'm going to try out your french toast recipe, it looks very good, too! I'll probably leave out the sugar and use fatty dairy instead of non-fat, serve with maple syrup, man I need to get some breakfast now!